Review of Joe's Nuevo Latino - CLOSED

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Wailea Ike Drive
Description: Joe's Nuevo Latino celebrates the incredible diversity of food from Latino communities around the world. Guests enjoy a culinary journey designed to introduce the best, most inspired Latin flavors blended with fresh, local ingredients. The menu features small and large plates, all equally sharable, and includes dishes such as Peruvian ceviches, Argentinian-style beef with chimichurri, Puerto Rican pastele, spicy shrimp with Ecuadorian corn cakes, Cubano conchita pibil (slow roasted pork shank), chicken tamale with Oaxacan mole, Mexican-style roasted fresh fish, and traditional Spanish pulpo a la plancha (grilled octopus). Guests will experience a contemporary, communal, high energy atmosphere and a bar featuring traditional and imagined cocktails with a particular emphasis on tequila and mezcal. The creative force is Chef de Cuisine Gary Johnson, one of Maui's top up-and-coming young culinary talents and an avid traveler with a passion to share his interpretation of nuevo latino cuisine. The award-winning management team includes partners: Chef Roger Stettler, Chef Bev Gannon, Greg Shepherd
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Wonderful catch of the day encrusted with parm and pumpkin seeds. Welcoming for our 10 year old! Husband devoured meatloaf! View excellent

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Looking for a new place to dine in Wailea, we were fortunate enough to discover Joe's Bar and Grill. I would recommend Bev's mango martini for a wonderful beverage starter. So delicious! We also shared fried calamari and crab dip with pita chips. I would have been happy with just this as both appetizers were two of the best I have ever had. The calamari was light and perfectly seasoned. The crab dip was a yummy, creamy blend of crab and spices that made my mouth yell out, "Give me more!" I believe this is the same crab that I have had on the crab pizza at "The General Store." Nothing better! All three of us ordered different dinners: meat load, ribs, and pumpkin crusted fish. All were perfectly prepared and delicious. You would think this was enough, but of course we ordered desserts; one chocolate bread pudding and one coconut banana split. The split was delicious and a great mix of flavor. The bread pudding, while good and well prepared, was a little too rich for most of us. Overall our dining experience was very memorable. Wonderful service, amazing food, and a great sunset view.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Interesting tennis club setting, very friendly staff, truly forgettable food. We came based on reviews about the chef/menu but sent some food back and struggled to finish the rest due to poor preparations and taste. Surprisingly bad.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We went to Joe's on a Thursday evening. We lucked out because it was close to our hotel and it wasn't packed when we showed up (so we were seated right away). It got busier while we were there, but no worries, a sign of a good restaurant.

The waiter was really friendly and suggested a few items that my family ordered (and loved) The food was great overall, and the drinks were strong to boot!

There was also an excellent view of the sunset from our table.

Everything was great overall!

There is one thing worth mentioning, and it doesn't deserve a deduction (so I kept it at a "5"), but it was really hot in the restaurant. Now, I understand that it was July in Maui, but they could have turned the fans to a higher setting. It didn't ruin the evening by any means or anything like that...we were just all hot sitting there.

All good though!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I had asked a local where they eat and he recommended this place. What a view! Food was very good - I had the fresh caught fish with pumpkin seed crust. It's all open air, so can be a little blinding during sunset, and it was a little warm even with the ceiling fans, but the whole family enjoyed it! Would absolutely go again.