“A little disorganized and overpriced but excellent sandwiches and friendly service”

The Market by Capische
Ranked #36 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stopped in here looking for sandwiches and stayed because the market smelled so good. The chef was super nice and explained the choices to us and gave us some good tips about the area. The way that they work the orders is a little disorganized, order one place then walk to a register and pay (but there is not always someone at the register because she also makes coffee and takes care of other things at the store). The prices are little high, but we think that everything is in that area. The food was fresh and tasty and we were glad to have ordered there.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stopped here on our way from our hotel to the airport. We were actually headed somewhere else in shopping center and went here instead. I AM GLAD WE DID! We ended up getting two sandwiches for our flight back to DC. They were A-MAZ-ING! My wife had the muffaletta and I had the Banh Mi. They were both "interpretations" of these classics and they KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK! Awesome flavors in the Banh Mi, covering the spectrum from salty to umami as you would expect in a Banh Mi. The wife's muffaletta was similarly great. We wish we would have had more chances, but if you are looking for a place to grab some food to go, it all looked great! Fresh fruit and vegetables, all locally grown. Homemade charchuterie, fresh pasta... YUM!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Let me say this: you can't charge $8 for a glass bottle of water (as your only regular water option) and pretend that it's ok. I asked the woman at the register if they just had a regular bottle of water or a cup of water and she looked at me like I was crazy. She said, "I guess I can go back to the kitchen and get you tap water if you want." "That would be nice I said," trying to maintain a pleasant tone...It was as if paying $8 for water was normal and somehow I was a high maintenance customer by asking for a cup of water. If they just just had a normal bottle of water I would have bought it, but the drink selection was weird to begin with. Coconut water in mason jars and like 50 kinds of San Pellegrino. No thanks.

The sandwich was good (turkey and avocado), but the service at checkout was horrible and a very awkward experience. There are plenty of other places to get sandwiches.

I'm on the island hosting an incentive trip for business people. We have about 150 adults that come through each week this summer. I will not be sending any of them to the Market, nor will I ever go back.

1  Thank Enellgwu
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

This place is just an insult to anyone that comes from a city with fantastic cafe and coffee culture such as ours (Melbourne). Horrible coffee, disorganised service and workflow. Complete amateurs. This place could so easily be improved
1. Take orders from behind the deli counter not at the kitchen
2. Make real coffee and employ a barista not pods made by wait staff
3. Display salads and food options in the deli case rather than dried up pasta. So customers can order salads.,
4. Give water to your customers esp on request!
5. Provide adequate seating outside
6. Add ingredient labels to the drinks in the fridge
7. Put food consumed at your tables on a plate not in a paper bag
8. Get rid of the sad looking vegetables in the primary floor space

Probably not even worth reading this review as they are unlikely to be in business in 6 months time.
Just keep walking ....

2  Thank burlon67
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We like the idea of having a gourmet market in our area, so we have been to The Market 3 times since it opened. The first time I got a Caprese Panini and my husband the Hoagie.
I paid the extra $3.00 for added meat and they add one thin slice of Lomo, as thin as a slice of prosciutto, the meat is not even in the whole sandwich, but it was good, I specially like the arugula, and expected that when I ordered again yesterday, but it was lettuce instead, I was a little disappointed.
My husband asked for his Cumin Aioli on the side, he was not sure if he was going to like it, and for his surprise he noticed he got charged for "dressing on the side",WOW!
We decided to try the waffles one morning, and we asked for the mactella and banana waffles. We got waffles with strawberries (I'm allergic), so we pointed out to them, that we got the wrong order and they did nothing to fix the order, totally ignored it. So I had to order a breakfast sandwich and that was good. So you never know what you are going to get, is a gamble, but their ingredients are great, just wish they charged more than $3.00 but give me a little more meat, 1 slice is not enough. We are good tippers and don't mind paying extra for quality food.

1  Thank Olivia M