“Paradise...almost”
Review of Four Seasons

Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was the last stop of our honeymoon that included Bora Bora, Oahu, and Maui. We were looking forward to a relaxing way to spend the final days after the hustle and bustle of Honolulu. They were nice enough to upgrade our room from the garden view to an ocean view room but due to it being full at the time (and it was definitely packed), they could only do it after the first day. We went to Ferraros to get a few drinks while we waited for the room to be ready. We were given the garden view suite for the first night and they had a rose, a bottle of champagne, some fresh fruit and some chocolate in a melting tray waiting for us. A very nice touch. We then spent the rest of the evening enjoying the unbelievable Wailea sunset from their serenity pool which is an adults only pool constructed about five years ago with a swim up bar. It was very windy that day but the view is breathtaking.

A meal at Ferraro's that night was delicious, the light up menus were easy to read in the low light. The road to Hana took up our entire next day, but by the time we returned our bags had all been moved to our ocean view room. The room was set up almost exactly like our other one, only this had a couch next to the bed. The beds, sheets and pillows were all fantastic. We slept great all three nights we were there.

We ate at the steakhouse Duo for dinner that night and enjoyed a great steak (the American Kobe flat iron steak was particularly good), however they would not let us bring a bottle of wine that we had purchased on the trip and had been saving for the occasion. I even offered to pay a corkage fee. It wasn't a big deal but it would have been nice to have that bottle with our steak. We also had a cockroach hanging out next to our table, it is an outdoor restaurant in Hawaii, the waiter promptly took care of it as soon as he saw it so no harm no foul there. Absolutely nothing they can do about that.

Unfortunately, as we're walking back to our room, we step into the third floor elevator lobby (an indoor space) and there is another cockroach on the ground. My wife called down to let them know it was there (my wife was pretty grossed out at this point) so they could take care of it. They assured her that they would, and the night manager went as far as to say he would have the day manager reach out to us the next day to make sure our last day was special. An hour later, we set out to have our bottle of wine and a cigar on the courtyard and lo and behold, the cockroach is still there, crawling around inside the third floor lobby. I didn't expect anything free. They had already taken great care of us up to that point, but to not take care of the problem and not, at the very least, have the day manager give my wife a call the next day when they said they would was disappointing to say the least.

On the last day, we finally got to hit the beach but unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. We never got that call from the day manager and absolutely nothing was done to make our last day any more special than the rest.

As we were boarding the plane to leave Maui, one of the managers called me after my wife told the person at checkout how the managers did not keep their word. I will say he has apologized to my wife and smoothed things over.

In summary, we were there at peak time, the place was fully booked. You could tell the staff was spread a little bit thinner than normal so some of the little details that my brother and sister-in-law experienced at the Four Seasons Weilea were absent for our trip (they were there in November 2009 and it was not crowded). I guess I had my expectation set a little too high (about as high as the relative price tag to other resorts) based on their recommendation. This is still a great property and if we ever decide to go back, we will not go during peak season again. Food is great, rooms were very comfortable and well appointed. The place looks great during the day and truly stunning at night. The serenity pool was a great idea by the Four Seasons and is a must do if you're looking for an adult only setting (get there early!). Seemed to be a nice beach, we didn't get to spend much time there. I still gave the place 4 stars and it easily would have been 5 had they gone that extra mile that you expect from a Four Seasons property.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms were pretty good, as were the Ocean view. All are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve S
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The service, the facilities, the location (the views), the people.... Everything was great!!!! We highly recommend to stay here, you will never regret. We don't have any doubt that we will stay here again in our next visit to Maui!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

You only live once, so why not splurge once in a blue moon. I booked an ocean front room and I was upgraded to a suite. Wether that was complimentarty or not remains to be debated. The hotel staff, restaurant staff and the establishemnt itself are all first class. Expect nothing but the best when you stay at this establishment. The beach is safe to swim at, however ALWAYS check the warning signs with the hotel staff or you can just sunbake on the sand or you can enjoy the pool amenities and read a good book. The evening sunsets are amazing whilst you enjoy your dinner with a cocktail or a glass of wine.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Spica2013
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This has been my mantra for sometime and it was never more true then the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea - upon arrival we were greeted with lei's and immediately swept into the fold of checking in - where we were offered an upgraded suite to better accommodate our group (my husband and son) - our room wasn't ready so our luggage stored and we were driven to the shops at Wailea and texted when our room was ready - from there we had nothing short of fabulous service. We were greeted by name and everyone from the pool and beach to restaurants and retail shops could not have been nicer. We had a lovely dinner at Spago's and whenever we left the hotel (although not what you are inclined to do) we were offered bottled water for the car and warmly welcomed back upon our return. The room (junior suite) well appointed and very spacious - when housekeeping failed to make up the sleeper couch for my son the first time we called - it was done immediately and we were paid a visit by the head of housekeeping and a lovely surprise awaited us when we returned from dinner the next evening. The attention to all the details made a stay at this property especially wonderful - the pool cabana's are free of charge and first come first serve - mini muffins, fruit and water awaits and your face can be spritzed with water. All in all just a wonderful staff and stay! NOTHING bad every happens at a Four Seasons and really at the Four Seasons Maui something GOOD always happens.

Room Tip: Junior Suite - Garden view - was great - not a great view but didn't miss it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank gowilton
Reviewed 5 August 2014

There's many reasons why Maui is voted one of the top-2 or 3 U.S. Islands year in and out. It's just simply paradise. And there aren't many better options to spend your time there at the famed Four Seasons in Wailea. It has a little of everything for everyone, and is surrounded by two other epic properties which are great places to stroll to for a dinner 'out'; The Fairmont and Grand Wailea. You really can't go wrong at staying at either 3 of these, but for the purest form of luxury, with exclusive access to the best spa in the area, 4 Seasons is the way to go.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 5easons
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Best hotel experience I've ever had. The staff is fantastic! Rooms are spacious even the bathrooms. They go above and beyond. They had muffins and blankets for us on our early trip to see the sunrise over Haleakala. The restaurants are great. We had the experience of a lifetime. Thank you Four Seasons and kudos to the staff.

Room Tip: we were on the 5th floor with a partial ocean view - wonderful spacious rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have been putting off writing this review, because I do not know how to adequately express into words how amazing the Four Seasons Maui was and how special they made us feel for our tenth anniversary trip. We stayed here at the end of June beginning of July. I had never stayed at a Four Seasons before, last time we were in Maui (on our honeymoon we stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani). I remembered thinking, how could this place be so much better than the Fairmont (which we loved)? I also was laughing at one of the guide books that mentioned you would cry when you left this place. Well actually, I did cry when we were driving away.

What made this place so special was the service and the staff. Unbelievable. From the moment we drove up, with the leis from the greeters, that amazing mint lemonade (that we would grab a cup of daily), to the friendliest bellhop ever - Uncle A. (seriously, he is the best, and hugged us when we left). He was so funny with all his little jokes and insisting on taking our picture in the lobby. He took us to our room and there was champagne and a long stem red rose for us for our anniversary. The room was a great size, thought it would feel small after having stayed in a condo. The marble bathroom, amazing! I still miss the big tub, the huge sinks and the Hawaiian music. :)

We ate at the lounge bar one night, amazing, two nights later the waitress remembered our name. The bar tenders were so nice, gave us a special truffle treat for our anniversary. Ferraros was outstanding (reviewed separately). The concierge called me a few days prior suggesting I move my reservation earlier to ensure we got the best table, which we did.

The breakfast buffet, out of this world. We had the bed and breakfast package, so so worth it. Everything was great and we loved the made to order station. My husband tried the special daily, and I loved the french toast best. The greeter/hostess was so cute, she remembered our name by the second day.

We used their complimentary shuttle service twice to drive us to the shops at wailea (walked back) and Nick's Fishmarket (walked back). So convenient. The valet guys were also great, stocked our car with bottle water for our drive to the airport.

The beach is fantastic. No rocks to worry about, easy entry. The snorkeling right off the beach, out of this world. Lots of turtles around the black rocks. Loved that the beach chairs and umbrellas were complimentary! You will not find that at another resort. Also enjoyed the little hut stand Snorkels for beach days. Turkey wraps, $10, shaved ice $5 or iced coffee $5. Made a nice lunch to share (huge wraps, after a large breakfast). Charge it all to the room. Plus the guys will bring you water right on the beach, muffins, pineapple etc. They remembered our names as well.

Finally the pools. Swam in the fountain pool at night once, as it's 24 hours, but the real gem is the adult only serenity infinity pool. Out of this world. So beautiful and the service is perfection. My water glass was never empty. Loved the pool bar, husband got the drink in the pineapple, so fun! The chairs were the most comfortable chairs ever with cushions on them and the softest towel blankets. Again, the casabellas totally complimentary. Lunch by the pool was great. $20 for sandwiches, quesidillas etc. Enough to split between the two of us after our big breakfast. Rowena is also the sweetest, bringing around cool towels, cucumbers, popsicles, muffins, fruit, etc. She is so very kind. I also loved listening to the bubbles from the bubble loungers. This was the most relaxed I had been in a year (a long hard year being a high school teacher).

I cannot say enough about this place. It surpassed all of my expectations and I don't know how I can ever stay anywhere else. I will forever be comparing places to it.

Thank you so much for making our tenth anniversary trip truly special.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tropicaltammi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!