“The Benchmark.”
Review of Four Seasons

Four Seasons
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I debated for weeks which resort to spoil my wife & I for our babymoon. Four Seasons v Andaz Maui. I was torn having never visited Hawaii but went with my gut feel and booked the Four Seasons. And I just cannot thank myself enough. (More about the comparison below).
I have had the good fortune of visiting 37 countries spanning several continents in my travels and can confidently confirm that this resort is the best I have experienced to date.

We spent 6 nights (July 28-August 3) in a garden room (420) which was very well appointed. Spacious, clean, equipped with every amenity to make it a pleasure to relax in (Even an iron for my silk clothes loving wife).
We rented a car and had it parked daily @ Valet for $25/day which was a reasonable rate. They bring it around at short notice and park it as required as you pull up (a couple of bucks tip keeps everyone happy). We realised however that unless you wish to drive around the island and visit other towns, you really don't need a car. The resort offers a complimentary ride to the restaurants of neighboring resorts and the local shops upon request.

We drove to Lahaina & Kaanapali which was a lovely scenic drive, but always loved coming "Home" to Wailea - easily the most beautiful part of the island. Don't bother going to Hana. Its long boring and an uneventful anti climax.

Back to the resort. The location is stunning. The grounds and common areas and beautifully maintained and were immediately in love upon first impression. Being peak season the resort was heaving, but never flinched at maintaining an extraordinary level of exclusivity and elegance. Even with the main pool teaming with children. Enter the Serenity pool - a haven of tranquility with a simply stunning pool and a view that keeps you in a trance of awe. We spent most of our days by the pool relaxing. Taking advantage of the impeccable service and complimentary WIFI, sun block and the peaceful ambiance.

The only drawback I can think of is the sunbed situation. First in best dressed. The early bird gets the best worm. Some beds are shaded some are exposed to the sun are and boy does it get hot in the sun.

We ate in the restaurants and the food was sublime at every turn. Four Seasons is a pricey resort. Add tipping and taxes and you'll be up for a fair whack but it is worth every cent and more. We visited Andaz Maui for dinner at Morimoto restaurant where the food was to die for. We wanted to check out the competition and see if we made the right choice in resort so we explored the grounds. Many say that Andaz & FS are the cream of the crop in Maui. We believe there is no competition. These 2 resorts are not in the same league. Four Seasons oozes a certain class that leaves the sterile Andaz in its wake. There is no comparison. And we noticed the crowd was a little young and loud at the bar as we left the resort which was situated near many of the rooms. When you walk into the 4 Seasons you are hit with a serious dose of class and grandeur that is not present at the Andaz. The Andaz does however have a fabulous view and gorgeous pools but we would not stay there.

My final point is the reason why the Four Seasons is our new number 1. It is the staff and the level of service you receive from the moment you arrive. It is unparalleled. It is perfection. It transcends the beauty of this resort to a level we have never experienced. The staff are like angels in paradise. By the pools, by the beach, in the eateries, at valet. There is too much to list so I will cut it here. You just need to go and experience it!

Room Tip: Stay in any room. You'll only go back to sleep as the beauty of the resort will keep you outdoor...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Robert G
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights and we had the most incredible time. This hotel is immaculate and nothing is too much trouble. The staff are super friendly, remember your name and genuinely seem to enjoy what they do.

We stayed in a garden view room and have to say the room was lovely. I do not think we missed out by not having an ocean view. It was well equipped, spacious and furnished to a high standard. The bathroom was also wonderful and full to the brim with L'occitane toiletries.

Our favourite part of the resort was the adults infinity pool. The views are incredible and the whole day can go by just relaxing. They open the pool at 7:00am but people start queuing as early as 6:30 in order to secure the best loungers that face the ocean. If this feels far too early for you there are always plenty of loungers available at the other pools. If you like reading you can borrow a Kindle from reception for the duration of your stay. It is full of a variety of books and there is bound to be something in there for everyone. You can also borrow DVD's from the reception if you feel like a quiet night in.

The hotel car is complementary and available to take you to the nearby shops and restaurants and we used it a number of time during our stay. Their service was just as great as the hotels. We also used them to drop us to our car rental store and for airport transfers.

If doing the Road to Hanna, make sure you ask reception for a list of markers. They have a few on their version which are not on the other maps and my husband and I found the most amazing viewpoint near marker 17 which we would have missed otherwise.

We collected a car from two other resorts on the same strip as FS and neither had a patch on this hotel. It was the most amazing stay and we still talk about how great it was.....a testament in itself.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sunshine M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is number 1 for a reason -- it really is *that* good. I went in July for 1 week for the second leg of my honeymoon. They upgraded us to a beautiful suite and the customer service was amazing. My pros and cons are below- cons were not that bad and really only applicable due to the status and prestige of the resort and care you become accustomed to.

Pros:
- Serenity / Adult only pool, great view and nice to be away from the kids (lots of families here)
- Ferrarros restaurant by the pools/ocean is such a great place to get lunch! We loved it! Great salads and pizzas.
- service overall
- great big beach with activities
- walking distance to shops at wailea
- Massage by the ocean- great!
- Gorgeous views and hotel grounds

Cons:
- While we loved the serenity pool the service/servers there were not friendly nor did they check on you regularly. In fact a couple of days we didn't go just bc we didn't feel like dealing with them so sat at family pool just to get better service.
- Concierge isn't quite as organized/personal as we've seen at other hotels - we got emails from two different ppl asking for our flight information prior to our stay despite us giving it to them already- communication lapse on their end.
- We had a ghost ant problem in our room. They came twice to spray for them but didn't seem as concerned about it as I did, obviously! I understand they are common in that climate but it's not something I expected there. They were all over bathroom counter and night stands. Yuck! Took about three days to get rid of them.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014

What can be said that hasn't been said before in these reviews? The Four Seasons is the BEST hotel in the world ! Everyone treats you like a VIP . The staff,views,rooms,kids club,food,beach,pool,valet,room service,parrots,lounge and everything is top notch. We have been here now on this property 7 or 8 times in 13 years . Each time it was this good! The best way to end this review is my wife and I know what you experience here so their is no other choice for a vacation.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lb33wonka
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Walked in along the beachfront path with my mom for a sunset cocktail, and it was a very delightful experience! beautiful surroundings and hotel. The drinks were served with a side of peanut snack type things which we devoured! - enjoy!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Aussie_Tourism_Guru
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the Four seasons in Maui 4 times now and it gets better and better! If there was one vacation and one hotel I could choose from THIS would be the one!!!! Unfortunately I fell my first day on the trip and sprain my ankle. I was picked up by the security staff and taken care of as if I were royalty! They got me ice packs and took care of me for 3 days! The whole hotel made me feel as if I was there most important guest! If I wasn't already in love with this resort I certainly would be now. From the warm greeting Chad gave us at breakfast every morning to Archie and Donald in security pushing me in a wheelchair for 2 days to Blase and the amazing dive team this stay was customer service beyond your wildest dreams! Can't wait until March for my next visit!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank snitzer
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Mom: I debated which island we would visit based on possible hotel experiences. I wanted some of our trip to include a stay at The Four Seasons. The Four Seasons in Kona does not allow room occupancy to exceed 3 people. We have a family of 4 so I ruled them out. I decided on the FS Maui. We got a partial ocean view room with 2 Queen beds. The room was wonderful!!! It seemed very spacious with a standard sized couch and desk/chair area. The room was meticulous. I can be leary of cloth fabric covered hotel sofas but it was spotless. I loved the air conditioning and ceiling fan, the two working together kept the room chilled at night which I appreciate.
13 year old son perspective: hotel was so-so. The pool was kind of boring. They should add a basketball hoop on the side. I wish the waves at the beach were just a little bigger so I could body board. The game room was neat but there's no time limits so you can end up waiting forever to play ping pong or shuffle board.
10 year old daughter perspective: I really liked when the waterfall would come on at the pool. I liked the room. I thought the bathroom was really nice. When we wanted a break from the pool and ocean my mom let us go to the gameroom. It was close to the pool. The chairs at the pool were really comfortable and when you wanted to be in the shade they put these tents over them.
Dad's Perspective: I would wake up and go out to the pool at around 5:30 every morning to get some work done before the family woke up. This was a blessing for my family as I was able to secure a cabana for the day. Pool crew does not arrive until 7:00 but families start sitting in cabanas around 6:00. By 7:30, most cabanas are gone. There is no charge for cabanas and they will not allow you to pay to reserve one. Had I truly been on vacation and free from work obligations I would have been frustrated at having to get up early and worry about spots by the pool. Our family usually rents cabanas on vacation just to ensure we avoid the need to awake early and stress about not having a place for our family to sit poolside. The rooms were nice. Wifi and cell service worked well throughout the resort. I don't think we should have gotten a partial ocean view. It was very difficult to see the ocean from our room and we did not spend much time in the room. The garden view rooms and pool rooms have the same lay out and amenities. We were in room 769 and I believe it was one of the furthest back from the water. The beds and linens were high quality and ensured a good nights rest!
Comparison: We split our time between the Four Seasons and the Ritz. They both claim to be five stars but are very different feels. Examples of the differences- Four seasons poolside loungers are very sturdy with pillow toppers, they are white wicker with arm rests. At the Ritz they are typical, thin loungers. Shampoo and Conditioner at Four seasons are 3.38 ounce bottles, at the Ritz they are 1.7 ounce bottles. At the FS, our bathroom was stocked with 8 bath towels each day. At the Ritz we were supplied 3 for our family of 4. Both hotels supply you with bottled water but the FS takes the extra step to put it in your in room refrigerator so it stays chilled. (I will review the Ritz in a different review) It is these consistent small acts that give the FS a genuine and well deserved 5 stars.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank jenledet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!