“True Luxury”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Melbourne, Australia
“True Luxury”
Reviewed 17 January 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in April, and we had a fantastic time. Four Seasons is amazing!
We stayed in a partial ocean view room - the rooms are a good size with a huge stunning bathroom. The room was very luxurious though the views could have been better...you could only see the ocean view when stepping out on the balcony.
The hotel grounds and pools are beautifully maintained. You can reach the beautiful beach by just walking down the stairs at the main pool.
We tried two restaurants at resort Spago and Duo - both served great food though Spagos should not be missed - everything was delicious.
The hotel offers a free shuttle to wailea shops however to reach the larger shopping centre(which has Macys dept store!) you will need to take a 30 minute taxi ride.
The staff were extremely friendly, professional and very accomodating - excellent service!
Overall, we had an amazing experience and l would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank GlobalTravellerSSV

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,225)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2009

Be sure to visit the Orchid salon - fantastic cuts and colors. Even the well heeled locals go there.

Stayed December 2008
3 Thank CanTrav7938
Radlett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Quality!

I really enjoyed this hotel. We stayed here after four nights at the Hana Ranch Hotel and even though I missed Hana's seclusion and the villas this place was great for sheer opulence and great service.

I definitely recommend it. Best accommodation in Wailea and my joint favourite in Maui along with Hana Ranch Hotel.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Many more people than Hana
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank britinnyc30
New York, NY
Reviewed 10 January 2009

I'll keep this simple -- if you're looking to live it up in Maui, this is your place. It's on the South side of the island, sunnier side (which is key if you're going in the winter months). The hotel overlooks a beautiful beach with spectacular views; the service is as good as it gets -- hands down the best we've experienced; and the rooms are spacious and very well appointed. It exceeded all expectations and we will certainly go again. Guests who had stayed at both the Four Seasons and Ritz Maui said they would definitely choose the Four Seasons over the Ritz. You can't go wrong.

• Liked — service, beach
  • Disliked — cost!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
9 Thank JBG&JGG
Zagreb
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Very nice hotel. Very friendly stuff. Good food. Nice clean beach. Lot of green around the hotel.

Very helpful and kind concierge stuff.

I had one incident with cleanness of my bed sheets in which a guest attendant while changing sheets repeatedly contaminated the white sheets with a finger cut she had for two days. The issue was resolved after I contacted stuff manager, who apologized with personal note the other day and personally made sure this would not repeat. This incident was just an isolated mistake of the hotel stuff, but it did spoil my otherwise very good impression of the hotel.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Cleannes incident I had
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Ratko_Croatia
Missouri
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I just returned from a family trip to the Four Seasons and it was outstanding. Many thanks to the Trip Advisor readers who were very informative in their repsonses to questions I had.
As mentioned the resort is terrific. The pluses and minues:

Minuses:
1) Very expensive, but as is everything in Wailea.
2) It can be somewhat crowded at the pool area but a new pool is being constructed and will open in May that will alleviate the problem.
3) Daily newspapers not delivered to your door. Just ask and they will deliver a wide selection of papers.

Pluses:
1) Hands down the ONLY five star resort on the island. We contemplated staying at the Kea Lani and does not even come close. Kea Lani is definitely in the Marriott class. Grand Wailea to me looked like it was somewhat run down, dated. Trust me, the extra $$$ are worth it to stay at the Four Seasons.
2) Again hands down although expensive by far the best selection of restaurants at any resort on the island.
3) As many have mentioned the level of service leaves little to be desired. I would rather pay 15% more here than being disappointed at the other resorts.
4) Excellent workout area and game room for the kids. The other resorts don't compare.
5)The property I think has the best location on the beach.
6) The concierges were terrific. They had pre-printed maps to every restaurant, sighteeing location that we desired. They were really on top of everything. I don't think you find that at the other resorts.
7) Is suitable for all ages of kids, grownups to infants. During the holdiay season when we were there families have come for years and years. I can see why.

Summary:

Without a doubt they deserve their reputation. It is THE best resort on the island and one of the top resorts in the country .

Stayed December 2008
13 Thank propertymanagerfour
Tx
Reviewed 2 January 2009

When I booked the trip, it was difficult to justify the extra cost for the Four Seasons over the nearby Marriott. I mean, the Marriott had free breakfast. But I put my inner cheapskate in a chokehold and booked 5 nights at the Four Seasons…..and did not regret it at all.

We figured we wouldn’t be spending too much time sitting on the lanai admiring the view, so we booked a garden view room and got the fifth night free. The Four Seasons was the second stop on our honeymoon, and after Hana it was going to take a lot to impress me. The last thing I wanted was a crowded beach and a snooty staff. Fortunately, we didn’t find either in at the Four Seasons Wailea. Everything I heard and read was true.

We were greeted at check in with cool towels and tasty orange blossom mint tea. The bellman gave us the nickel tour, offering some good suggestions. The room was, by far, the nicest I’ve ever stayed in. Large living area, HUGE bathroom and the garden view was very nice with a sliver of ocean thrown in. The entire resort was spotless. Our room was attended to twice a day and every single employee was friendly and helpful. We actually saw a guy cleaning the baseboards of the hallway outside our room.

In the morning, we would grab complimentary coffee in the lobby and make our way to the beachwalk. The walk was nice and gave us easy access to the neighboring resorts, and as we walked through them we were glad we sprung for the 4S. Not that the others weren’t nice, but the 4S just attained another level of quality. This was reinforced one morning when stopped by the Marriott for breakfast. I wanted to see what we were passing up by not staying there. It was a small, simple buffet more suited for a holiday inn express. Not bad, but far from spectacular. Breakfast at Duo left it in the dust for a mere $5 more. It wasn’t even a contest.

We ate at all the restaurants at the 4S, with the standout being Ferraro. We made an early reservation and had ringside seats for sunset. Absolutely incredible. One evening we decided to forego a proper dinner to hang out in lounge for drinks and appetizers. Overlooking the couryard and pools, we saw a torchligher make his way through the property at sunset. A great experience all the way around. The restaurants were not cheap, but not completely out of line with prices we saw at nearby resorts.

The beach was very nice and the pools were immaculate. The staff was very attentive without being a nuisance. As we relaxed on the beach or by the pool, they would come by with cold water, small snacks, sunscreen, etc. The property was far from crowded (we overheard that occupancy was very low, even for low season). Every afternoon, we raided the lobby early and often looking for the orange mint tea.

There were gamerooms and internet access downstairs, alongside a sweet gym and shopping. Of course, you are in Hawaii, so who needs that stuff? Seemed like they had lots of activities for kids, but we never really saw many kids.

The Shops at Wailea was a short walk away, but it lacks access to the beachwalk, so you have to get to it from the main drag. There are a few places to eat there. Cheeseburger in Paradise was good and hit the spot when we wanted big food. Although usually good, we skipped Tommy Bahama’s Café and Ruth Chris because we have those nearby at home.

While I preferred the casual relaxation of Hana, the Four Seasons was definitely my wife’s favorite. We are not really Four Seasons typical customer, but it was our honeymoon and for a special occasion we decided to shoot the moon. In retrospect, this may have been a mistake, because I’m afraid now she has pretty high expectations for the rest of our marriage.

Nodding happily, she kept asking me to reassure her….“Its always going to be like this, right?”

“Sure hon. No problem.”

Now if I can only find a good recipe for orange blossom mint tea.

• Liked — Overall quality
  • Disliked — Expensive, but worth it.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
19 Thank ctb101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Four Seasons? Share your experiences!