“What recession?”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Santa Rosa, CA
“What recession?”
Reviewed 20 February 2009

With hotel occupancy down at so many properties in Maui and the state as a whole, the Four Seasons at Wailea manages to maintain an average of 70 to 75%. Of course, this might explain why the scores in Zagat are so high and why the hotel received its 5th star from Mobil, the only Hawaiian property to do so. But I am now fully aware of the mystique that pervades this place. Even though my wife and I regularly spend a month in Maui, it has long been a wish to spend a few nights here. This time we decided to spend the last three nights before flying back to the mainland. Neither my wife nor I had a birthday nor were we celebrating any special occasion. We just wanted to be here. We booked a partial view room and were given an ocean view room, with a peak of the ocean from the pillow.

Because so much has already been said (and these reviews were really the factors that led me to book this place), I wish simply to point out some information that hasn't really been discussed. By all means, arrange your visit to fall on a Wednesday so that you can participate in the Manager's reception. Here you get to mingle not only with other guests but mainly with the staff. And the staff use this opportunity to find out for themselves how everything is operating. Brian, the food and beverage manager, introduced us--and the guests around us--to three chefs from the three main restaurants here (Duo, Spago, Ferraro's). Each chef brought out an appetizer for all to try. Another "Brain" does not usually get much recognition. He is the operator of the Business Center and can offer a wealth of information on cameras, computers, I guess anything! Check out the photos he's taken--they're for sale at realistic prices. He is the one we should have asked about battery chargers since the Concierge was unable to provide information. And by all means ask for the self-guided Art Tour booklet. Even though the Grand Wailea has a wealth of Western art, check out the collection here at the Four Seasons. Better yet, arrange for a tour on Friday.

Many have written about how generous the hotel is. Did you know that a free whale-watch tour is available at Ma'alaea Harbor? You just have to contact the Concierge and arrange to be at the harbor before 2:00. Although several of us might raise our eyebrows at a $32 breakfast buffet, you will not need to eat until dinner. And please consider the Lobby Lovel Bar. Yes, it is a bar and there are bar and food menus, but one can order anything off of any menu from the restaurants at the hotel. What kind of place offers that kind of service?? And if the two of you share a salad and main course, the bill will be almost affordable. But then again, guests do not come here based on the affordability of the hotel. But when we checked out, I noticed that our original room rate quote had gone down $50 per night. Somebody is performing alchemy and trying to draw us back.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank M-man11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,207)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
MA
Reviewed 10 February 2009

This was an amazing place. Be prepared to pay through the nose for meals/drinks/etc, but it is worth every penny. If you don't like it here, you will never find a hotel you like. We were upgraded to a Jr. Suite without asking. Everyone knew our names. Unbelievable stay.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Spago is overrated.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PatUNH1980
woodlandstx
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Rarely does a hotel achieve this level of distinction; this resort is truly an extraordinary experience ranking among the very finest in the world. From the moment I entered the property, I felt as if every single employee there was dedicated to ensuring my comfort and happiness and would do everything possible to make it a memorable trip. The level of service at this resort is unparalleled in my many years travelling to five-star resorts world-wide. The setting is gorgeous, the beach is pure silky sand with gentle rolling waves, and the rooms are enormous and have every possible amenity. The concierge was prompt and helpful and the child care teacher in the children's club was so very kind that my children begged to stay with her. This resort is simply spectacular.
I have not seen other reviews discussing this point, so I thought I would mention that this is an outstanding resort for children. When we arrived, my children were greeted with plates of cookies and sweets in the room, child-sized bathrobes and their names spelled out in colored sponges in the bathroom. The restaurants had very good and reasonable children's menus, and all the staff were extremely gracious and accomdating to my children. The children's club is even complimentary for resort guests. My children are eager to return.
We had briefly considered a stay at the Grand Wailea, and are so glad we chose this hotel instead. The pool at the Grand Wailea is nice but too deep and intricately laid out to be appropriate for younger children (under 8 or so) if you wish to monitor them at the pool, and that property has a large convention feel to it. My children were so safe and happy at the Four Seasons; it was a perfect stay and one we are eager to return to for a longer period in the future.

• Liked — Best level of service in the world
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank hazelcrestmom
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 January 2009

The service at this hotel was truly amazing. I stayed from Jan 18- 23, 2009 and I can tell you the waters were calm enough for me to swim and snorkel. I even took a free scuba lesson from the hotel and upgraded for an ocean swim off the beach of the hotel. I got some great pictures of me swimming next to a sea turtle! Anyway, you are pampered here. The massages at the Spa are amazing. Ask for Kanoe (pronounced Kanoy). On the beach, you are treated to free suntan lotion, free pineapple, served ice water. If you want shade, they set up the umbrella for you and bring you a table.

One evening, we had late reservations for dinner, at the Fairmont, next door. Since we were running late, we decided to fore go the 10 minute walk and asked to be driven there, even though we had a car. No problem, were were chauffered by a lovely lady in a fancy SUV. Upon hearing that it was my birthday, she immediately got on the phone, even though we were pulling up in the drive way (It was only a 3 min. drive) and announced that we were arriving and that it was my b-day, and to please make sure someone greeted me. I was greeted by the valet who knew my name, with leis and escorted to the restaurant. That was amazing coordination with the Fairmont. Anyway,
when we returned to the Four Seasons, they had laid out a tray of fancy chocolates with a realistic white chocolate seashell, overflowing with brown sugar to similate sand. It accompanied a personally signed happy birthday card from the resort manager
It truly put a fantastic touch to my birthday! Kudos to 4 seasons!

• Liked — impeccable service, clean and attentive
  • Disliked — charge for internet service $13/day, charge for parking $20/day
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
6 Thank junybee
Elmhurst, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I've read reviews about this hotel before and after my stay which was from January 23-26, 2009 and any one who has any complaints about this hotel is a complete nut. A co-worker convinced me to convince my SO to change hotels (he wanted to stay at the Ritz) because the Ritz was on the rainy side of Maui and also because they charged to stay in a cabana (4 Seasons cabanas are FREE). Although I haven't traveled as much as my SO and this is my first time in a 5 star hotel, my SO has traveled the world and he has stayed at top level accomodations and even he was impressed. Let me tell you about my stay and experiences from before we even arrived in Maui.

They emailed before we left to find out when we were going to land. I told my co-worker that and she said they want to make sure everything is ready for you as soon as you get to the hotel.

We rented a car and were immediately greeted by staff with leis when we pulled up. They took our luggage out of the car and the bellman waited for us while we checked in (took less than 5 minutes). We were greeted with warm friendly smiles and I felt as if they were so excited for us to be there. The staff didn't seem phony or pretentious at all. While we walked to check-in we were greeted by another staff member with a small cup of a delicious fruity drink/tea. I wish I could remember what it was but it was refreshing. My co-worker told us whenever she came they always upgraded her but I wanted to come right out and ask. At check-in they had ALREADY upgraded us! We booked a mountainside room which is the lowest they have at $500 a night and we were upgraded to an ocean-view room, right in the center of the u-shape with a straight view of the courtyard and ocean - it couldn't have been any better! Also, before we went upstairs our bellman gave us a 3 minute tour of the property.

The room was HUGE. High ceilings, double sinks, separate shower and tub, separate toilet area. Two terry cloth robes were in the bathroom as well. At the desk there was a box of delicious desserts. The balcony was big with two lounge chairs, ottomans and a table.

The pool was a great size. We were told the cabanas were hard to come by and that some people have the nerve to put their towels, etc. on the chair and then disappear. But we were told by a staff member who greeted us when we were walking towards the pool that after I believe 45 minutes if they don't come back the cabana is up for grabs. Instead of us having to walk around and search for one a staff member searched FOR US. She gave us a menu and we ordered drinks and lunch from Ferraro's (delicious by the way). During our stay in our cabana facing the ocean, they came by numerous times to make sure we were okay. I loved the fact that I didn't have to wait forever before someone came to check on us. Three times they came by with: a spritz of water to our faces to cool us off, watermelon and popsicles. I mean, can I get this treatment at home?!?! By the way - order the frozen mai tai served in a pineapple - it is to die for!

One morning we took a trip to watch the sunrise at Haleakala and took the road to Hana and the concierge was very helpful with that. They gave us blankets (because it's freezing and windy up there) and they gave us towels in case we wanted to go to the beach. They also gave us two bottles of water.

Food: as stated earlier for lunch in the cabana we had food from Ferraro's. Our first night we ate at Spago's and I remember I had pork with caramelized onions and it was absolutely delicious. Our last night we ate at Duo's and once again it was awesome. I had the crispy free range chicken and for the first time ever at any restaurant I finished the entire thing!! Yes everything in Hawaii is expensive and I'm not sure why but I wouldn't complain - it wasn't like it was unreasonable. Every waiter we had at the restaurants was very knowledgeable and friendly. And the drinks are on point!

During this time the temperature is only about 65 degrees but each restaurant had heaters and they put one near me at Duo and I warmed up right way. FYI during the winter pack more than one pair of pants and more than one sweater/long sleeve shirt. Bring a jacket too.

I also loved the fact that every day they had complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate with a breakfast muffin/pastry near check-in or in front of Duo. So I got to have my hot chocolate before I went up the mountain.

We are a young couple (I'm 32 he's 37) and we did wish that there were more young people like us to hang with. During our stay there were people in their 50's and 60's here - but I would still come here again regardless.

As far as location we were about 30 minutes from OGG airport and the center of town was about 25 minutes away (where Kmart/Wal-Mart are) and the shops at Wailea Village are just a quarter of a mile up the road. When you walk towards the beach from the 4 Seasons property there is this path that takes you to other properties. We walked one way but didn't walk the opposite direction and it's a great walk. Most people used this path to jog and speed walk. It makes for a great stroll and there are great views of the sun setting.

After all of this if you decide not to stay here you are out of your mind. I'm sure we received the upgrade because it is off season and it isn't that crowded and that is a perfect reason to travel in the off season but the friendly staff and the little touches just makes it all worthwhile. I was so upset that we didn't get to stay longer, one because I wanted to see more of Maui and two because I knew we weren't going to get this treatment at our next destination in Honolulu.

This is my first time staying at a 5 star hotel and my SO paid for this entire trip but now that he has spoiled me I am finding it hard to want to stay at anything less (I'm actually typing this from the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu which stinks by the way - see my review later next week!) and I wish there was a 4 Seasons on this island so I can stay there instead.

I can see why the 4 Seasons has been voted by Tripadvisor members as the #1 hotel brand in the world and best for romance and luxury. DON'T STAY ANYWHERE ELSE!!

If you would like more pictures of the property (I can only put up 10 I believe) feel free to send me a personal message and I will send you a link with more pictures! Aloha!!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — nothing!!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank delena76
Reviewed 27 January 2009

What can I say, the Four Seasons Wailea is one of the best hotels in the world. They know how to do it all, accomodations, service, staff, restaurants, they overachieve in all categories. Thanks again for another wonderful stay.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank looper63
long island, ny
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We spent six nights in the Four Seasons Resort Maui. I must preface my review by stating that my husband and I are frequent luxury travelers. I am a hard sell when it comes to hotels. We got upgraded to a partial ocean view.

The actual room is beautiful and large. I would not pay for a partial ocean view. In order to see the ocean, you would need to stand in the corner of the lanai. You could not see it from the room. I wasn't crazy about how the hotel was laid out. It is very large and sprawling. If you want beachfront and ocean views this might not be the hotel for you. The hotel is set back on a cliff. So your view of the water is really obstructed even when you are laying by the pool.

The beach was also disappointing. The sand isn't white and powdery. It is brown and grainy. The water was also too rough and cool to swim in, but that was probably because it was January.

The buffet breakfast is pricey but definitely worth it. It was probably the best buffet breakfast I have had at a hotel. We ate dinner at Spago. It was good, not great.

So the resort is far from bad, but it definitely did not meet or exceed my expectations. Perhaps, this is because I have become accustomed to a higher level of service with other hotel chains (CC Africa, Oberoi, etc.).

The concierge was definitely subpar. They made a number of mistakes with our bookings and seemed ambivalent when answering our questions.

• Liked — The buffet breakfast.
  • Disliked — The beach and layout of hotel.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank am470
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!