“Unsatisfactory experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Wilmington, NC
“Unsatisfactory experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2008

Recently returned from an 8 day stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani. We love Wailea and have stayed at the other hotels and villas several times. This was our first visit to the Kea Lani.
The staff was wonderful--they were all friendly and helpful. Our suite was a fifth floor prime ocean view and the view was indeed lovely. The large lanai was a plus. The room's decor looked very dated and the mattress was terrible. The average highway motel has better bedding these days. For the money Fairmont charges, the beds should be top-notch. In addition, our room was terribly noisy. We could hear housekeeping carts rolling on the tile hall floors all day and part of the night. In addition. if the sliding door was opened, the children's noise from the pool below was loud, so the a/c was on nearly all the time.
We ate at Cafe Ciao, which was very expensive for their "casual" restaurant. We didn't try Nick's Fishmarket, preferring to eat off the grounds for most dinners.
Lack of regular maintenance shows. One night we had the inconvenience of the water being turned off from 10pm-6am in the entire resort.
I had 2 excellent massages at their spa--definitely recommend that.
With a little effort, the Kea Lani could be so much better--Wailea is a wonderful area to stay on Maui.

• Liked — large suite, great beach, good spa
  • Disliked — uncomfortable bed, noisy room
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank purselady1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (925)
  • Korean first
Boerne, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2008

We were at the Kea Lani the week of Jan 6th, as part of a large group (680 I'm told) from all over the US. The hotel is not only beautiful, it has a warm, relaxing atmosphere that you never want to leave. Even though the hotel was fully booked, it never felt crowded and service was not delayed.

The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. One morning we woke to a flat tire on our rental. The valet and front desk were quick to assist and shuttle me to Avis to retrieve another vehicle. The shuttles by the way aren't the usually smelly hotel vans. They use a Cadillac sedan and a Ford Expedition as their 'courtesy shuttle' vehicles to the surrounding area. That same morning my boyfriend lost his wallet. Again, the Kea Lani staff sprang into action and in less than an hour security delivered the wallet to him. A guest had found the wallet on the walkway that connects the hotel to the Four Seasons and left it at the front desk. He was pleasantly surprised to find his cash ($460) and credit cards intact. We wished we could have personally thanked the individual with a gift certificate for dinner to Nick's Fishmarket, but they did not leave their name.

Nick's is wonderful, by the way. Be sure to make reservations for the patio at sunset. The Polo bar is also a great place to take photos at sunset. Although the bartender was busy trying to close up for the evening, he stopped to ask if we wanted him to take our picture. This is typical of the wonderful service at this hotel.

The beach is incredibly relaxing. You can rent snorkel and scuba gear beachside as well as kayaks. Whales also frequent the area this time of year - there were so many sightings it seemed as if they are part of the staff.

We visited the other hotels in the area but none better than the Kea Lani. It is really nice that you can valet at any hotel in Wailea for no charge. Not true at the West coast hotels. Naturally, the Four Seasons is beautiful and their service is impeccable - yet it did not surpass the Kea Lani. The Grand Wailea, a/k/a the "Big Unfriendly" is another story. It is massive and rambling. We tried to go to the beachside restaurant to watch the sunset and ended up lost in a maze through the kiddie pool area. The return to the lobby was more confusing. By the time we found our way back, we just wanted OUT! As an aside, we are not directionally challenged. We once put 1700 miles on a rental in Costa Rica, where there are few road signs. Yet we needed GPS at the Grand Wailea.

The rooms at the Kea Lani are spacious, which gives them the edge over the Four Seasons. Just like the hotel, you feel comfortable in the room the minute you arrive. Unlike many of the chain resorts, the Kea Lani has personality which is unique to its location. This is accomplished not only through beautiful decor, but through their amazing staff. One of the hazards of traveling for work, is waking up in a Westin or Marriott and forgetting what city you are in. When you wake up at the Kea Lani, you know you are in Maui, and you smile.

• Liked — Spacious rooms.
  • Disliked — Living room furniture could use update but everything else was great.
  • Stayed January 2008
4 Thank Hurricanearv
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2008

Well I must admit, I don't normally stay at such high end places.....so to me this place was THE ultimate paradise.

I was amazed by the lobby. It was so gorgeous! My boyfriend and I got leid as we entered the lobby and we were given some nice cold waters. The staff was great. Our luggage was taken up to our room for us by a friendly gentleman. On the way to our room, I was impressed with the "Moorish" look (white walls and arches). The suites are very decently sized. I just loved the bathroom! His and her sinks, huge bathtub and the shower was awesome. Plus the soaps/shampoos were worth taking home. There was a "bedroom" so you could easily bring the kids and still have some privacy. There were 2 tvs. I loved the HUGE lanais. I tried the Italian Restaurant and the breakfast buffet, both of which were absolutely wonderful. Now my favorite part of the whole place was the pool. We must have gone down that slide about a dozen times! We also enjoyed the pool bar. We were only there 2 days and never really left the resort.....why would you? This place is awesome!

My only "issues" are that they could use more elevators. It always seemed like we were walking forever just to reach an elevator. Also the beach area is small but it is lovely!

I just loved this place and would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Liked — the pools
  • Disliked — lack of elevators
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelgalpdx
Port Moody, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2008

We had an absolutely fabulous time during our recent stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani. Wonderful beach and pool facilities and the room was amazing. The staff were extremely helpful. You felt like they really valued your business. The front desk attendant who checked us in even remembered our onward travel plans 3 days later. Very personable and professional service.

My wife and I would highly recommend the property... if you get a chance you won't be disappointed. Enjoy Maui!

Port Moody, Canada

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank happytravels38
Oronoco, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2008

We stayed here with a large group of people in the same profession (water well drillers) as part of a prize/promotion package paid for by our industry's biggest (and best) supplier. Most of us (well drillers) are hard working business owners who do not have "fancy" tastes - but we do know a nice place (and a good time) when we see it. This is that place.

To start with, the whole area (Wailea) is posh - full of very fancy resorts and expensive homes. You probably could not go wrong at any of the resorts. They all looked very nice from the outside (although I can say that the rooms at the Kea Lani are twice as big as those at the Grand Wailea). The beach, asphalt beach and street-side walk and landscaping are great at all of these places. Also, if you like one beach better than the other - no problem, they all appear to be public beaches (with chairs owned by the resorts and saved for their customers). You will be amazed at all of the "beautiful people" on these beaches (and the number of not so beautiful people who have got some big bucks).

On to the Kea Lani itself, the grounds are just beautiful. They are lush and well kept. The lobby itself is wide-open and classy. The staff (all of them) are about as friendly and helpful as can be. Our maid service was especially outstanding. Each room is a two-room suite - with a large patio (accessible from both the living room and the bedroom). The bathroom also has doors from both rooms and is especially large. It has both a full bath and a tiled walk-in shower that was very nice. Each room also has a small fridge & microwave built into a cupboard area that is large enough to store a week's worth of food.

The king-sized bed that we had could not be better. It is obviously a quality mattress that was not too firm or too soft (which would've given me back problems). The living room had a couch and a work desk. If I could change one thing about our room (and all the rest, most likely) it would be to update the decorating in this room with newer carpet and couch that show more of an island spirit. It did not take away from our appreciation of the room though as it truly was a nice room.

The resort has three pools - an upper pool with a bar and a waterslide connecting to middle pool (largest pool) and a separate pool. It is a little odd that the pool with the swim-up bar is the same pool that has the waterslide. In other words, the kids pool is also the adults pool and the totally separate pool is the "quieter" pool. All were nice looking - although I did not swim even once as I can do that at nearly any hotel.

We spent most of our free time around the hotel at the beach and using the beach walk to walk to see the beaches of the other resorts (a very nice walk). I snorkeled every day (saw lots of cool fish and several very large turtles). I think drink service was better at the pools but I think most of the people hanging around the pool were more into that service than those that were enjoying the ocean/beach.

As I mentioned earlier, service is excellent at this place. Although they never reach out their hands to ask for it, you do feel obligated (rightly so) to tip often.

The Kea Lani does offer free (plus tip) transportation to places in the area (not sure what marks the end of the area). We rented a convertible for our trip (recommend it) and they have plenty of free parking on site.

My wife and I had a great time at this beautiful place. We met lots of people and also treated this trip as a second honeymoon. Maui is beautiful. If possible, forget about how expensive it is (not just here but everywhere in Maui), make memories and enjoy life!

• Liked — Large rooms
  • Disliked — The expense (although typical for this area)
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank TheinBomb
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2008

We stayed at the Kea Lani for our...you guessed it...honeymoon! Four nights and then we rented a condo elsewhere. While we are not "high brow" we have also stayed at some excellent four and five star hotels and resorts around the world. The Kea Lani is certainly in the top 5 for us.

The food is a little expensive if you are not prepared for a luxury hotel stay but we were really not shocked at what the prices were. Really, what would you expect in one of the ritziest vacation destinations in Hawaii?

We did find the hotel was filled with families and kids but it never really bothered us at all. In fact, we found it kind of lightened up things a bit, gave the place a bit of sincerity instead of stuffy and overdone. Incidentally while we're on it, while I liked dinner at the Four Seasons (Ferraro's - worth a reservation) I did find it to be stuck-up there - just a bit too rigid and overdone for us.

Food quality at Fairmont was excellent. I am kind of shocked to see some people having problem with Nick's Fish House? You would really have to be watching and waiting for a screw-up to have a less than stellar meal here.

Grounds were absolutely stunning. Pools weren't overly crowded and service pool-side was great, responsive. Even the Fairmont Store there had a great deli and array of staples if you needed them.

View from the room was excellent. Maid service was superb - seemed to go the extra mile. We left notes making request and they were followed up in spades.

Ya know, I gotta tell ya, I would hate to be someone who is so over-the-top in their scrutinzing of a vacation experience that they would condemn their experience here - where the heck do they have fun, I wanna go there?!?!

Anyways - we had a great time. I'd say that unless you're a Conde Neste reviewer or a foodie this place is gonna blow your socks off!!!!

Enjoy!

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank #1Vancouverite
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2008

We booked the Kea Lani for our honeymoon and were very excited to stay at the resort based on the description, website and recommendations. When we arrived we thought that the registration area was beautiful as were most of the common areas. However, this initial impression did not last after we were brought up to our first room. When we entered it appeared that this room had not been used in a while because it was very warm, the air was stagnant and there was a musty, damp smell there was also a slight dampness to the older carpeting. I have very bad allergies and react negatively to this type of smell so it was unacceptable for me to stay in this room. We called down to the front desk and spoke with the manager and they seemed to be accomodating enough because they immediately moved us to another room. Although this one was now cooler it still had the above mentioined stench (and now my usually smell-less husband was able to smell what I was talking about). By this time I was getting very upset and upon further communication with the management they were going to clean a third room for us and have us come back later to see or more accurately smell the room. We waited for approximately 1.5 hours to go into the new room and when we did there was now a terrible floral smell on top of the existing musty, dampness which was already present. At the end of the day we decided not to stay at the hotel which was a very upsetting decision given the all the planning that went into the trip. Luckly were able to get into another resort through our travel agent and because we had traveller's insurance (I will never travel without insurance again) it didn't cost a dime in fact we got some money in return.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank philanj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!