“Worth it!”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We’ve been coming to Hawaii for Christmas for 3 years now and always visit resorts on different islands. We’ve never returned to the same resort, but I would return to the Fairmont Kea Lani. This was our favorite of the 3 resorts we visited this holiday. Of course it is beautiful, as one would expect, and offers outstanding service (as I have come to expect and appreciate throughout Hawaii). It is meticulously clean (I am picky), and the rooms are spacious. I don’t know when it was last renovated, but the bathrooms are great! No annoying resort fee or towel card game. And although it was the high season, it did not feel crowded (we got a taste of that at a high rise in Honolulu). The beach is small but lovely. And being at the end of the beach walk, you don’t get a lot of foot traffic passing by. The grounds are beautiful and there is a nice peacefulness in the air.

We got free wifi for President’s Club, but found it unreliable and slow, constantly dropping out (and all I was doing was checking email). If access is important to you, you might want to pay the extra $10/day for premium access. The self park situation was also pretty bad. It might be worth it to pay a little extra for valet. We skipped the buffet breakfast (at those prices we would get fat trying to get our money’s worth) but made an exception on Christmas morning at Ko’s pancake buffet breakfast, which was outstanding. Other days we just got something small at the coffee shop. Nick’s for dinner was fabulous. Free washers and dryers are offered (you can buy detergent, but we brought our own for another condo we were staying at).

The only downside was our experience with the newly renovated spa, which opened behind schedule on our last day. I had put in a message asking when a pedicure appointment opened up, and they called to give me a time, yet still kept me waiting for 45 minutes. I understand computer glitches when you’re newly opened, but there was an actual person who saw me sitting there for 45 minutes and kept telling me the technician would be right with me when the technician didn’t even know I was there. All it would have taken was to walk over there and inform her that her next client was waiting. That’s not a computer glitch, it’s customer service. I hope they’ve worked out such problems. Then they overcharged both me and my mother in law. I think after keeping us waiting, they would have charged us less, not more.

It sounds like I’m dwelling on the negative in this review, but the positives do outweigh the negatives. It really is beautiful and offers a top-notch experience. If you’ve got the means, getting a villa with private kitchen would be the best option. I’m saving up for that now.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JF4
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Aloha and thank you for your detailed review , as well as your many valuable tips for future guests. We are truly honored that the resort is your favorite place to stay while visiting Maui for the holidays and that your experience was “top notch." However, we do apologize for the issue at the spa and are grateful for your feedback, as it supports the training efforts and new procedures we are in the process of implementing. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year. Best wishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,637)

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Exceptional property with scenic views of the water, lush landscaping and pristine pools. I loved the water slide at the kid friendly pools too.
Cuisine for almost every taste with 5 separate eating places on site. My favourite restaurants were Ko and Nick's.
I enjoyed the free activities that the resort offered like sunset yoga, early morning yoga and body sculpting. I didn't get to do the canoeing as that was booked for the entire week.
Unfortunately their new spa was not open when I visited ( it opened 3 days after I left) however my massage in the garden cabana was very nice.
Had an issue getting access to the internet for my first 2 days but they resolved the problem as best as they could. The response was efficient.
I believe the room might be one of the selling points if this resort also. Loved it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shelly A

Wow... We're so pleased that your experience with us was memorable and that your expectations were exceeded. It's wonderful that you enjoyed the fitness classes and your suite. You're correct that the additional space (over 860 square feet!) is one of the many reasons our guests return year after year. We truly look forward to seeing you again soon to experience the new Willow Stream Spa! Mahalo and best wishes.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights in September 2013 in an Ocean View room - all of the rooms are actually suites so we had plenty of room with the bedroom, separate living area and a good sized balcony. We spent a lot of our time at the Adults pool which was very peaceful and relaxing, but the beach also looked good. We ate at both of the onsite restaurants, including Ko twice which was probably our favourite - both were excellent meals, but they are quite expensive, so your bill would be quite hefty if you ate in them every night! There are also lots of other nearby options at the hotels along the coast - we ate at the beachfront restaurant at the Four Seasons which we would also recommend for a romantic dinner.

We liked the variety of restaurants and shops in the area - there is plenty to keep you amused, though its worth renting a car for a day or two to explore the rest of the island. We didnt eat breakfast as we dont really eat enough to justify the cost, but there is also an onsite bakery/cafe which was great for a lighter option.

Room Tip: There was some construction going on for the continuing refurbishment - ask for a room in a wing whe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lodges_9

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! We’re so happy that your stay was memorable and that you especially enjoyed the spaciousness of your suite. It's wonderful that our signature restaurant, Ko, was your favorite. We truly appreciate all of your suggestions to our future guests and look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I had the opportunity to go to the Ko Restaurant in the Fairmont last time I was in Maui. What a wonderful evening. First our delightful server Hannah, an east coat transplant was terrific in her knowledge of not only the food, but even pointed out details about the architecture of the restaurant itself. The drinks, food and service, not to mention the beautiful ocean made for one of my favorite dining experience in Hawaii. GO!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We enjoyed 5 nights in a 3rd floor ocean-view room. The suites are very spacious and up-to-date. The grounds are lush and beautiful. We found shaded lounges on the lawn overlooking the ocean each day. Aside from a couple afternoon showers, the weather was perfect in early November and the resort did not seem very full. It was a perfect quiet retreat. We enjoyed fine dinners at Nick’s Fishmarket and at Ko. The breakfast buffet was among the nicest we have ever experienced, with great food selections, a Bloody Mary bar (mix it yourself), seating on a lovely veranda. We dined at restaurants in the neighboring Four Seasons and Grand Wailea, but we feel we chose the best hotel among them.

Hint: Join the “President’s Club” to get free wi-fi and 20% off in the shop.

Room Tip: Pay for an ocean view and don't expect any complimentary upgrades.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelGolfer

Thank you for the kind compliments! We’re thrilled you had a great experience and enjoyed the nearly always perfect weather on Maui’s south side. It’s also wonderful that you were so pleased with the many dining options at the resort. We hope to welcome you back very soon. Mahalo and best wishes.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed at the Farimont for a week following Christmas. The suite sized rooms are great with the fridge and microwave a welcomed addition, especially with the pricey breakfast buffet. All of the hotel staff we encountered were friendly and very helpful. The service really makes this hotel even better. We arranged for several activities via the concierge, all of which were great. The location right on the beach is very nice with the 1.5 mile beach walk a good spot to run/walk on. The rooms are "ocean view" not "ocean front" which is not a big deal but worth noting. Pool and beach staff were very helpful in securing chairs for us.
I would return to stay here in the future. It is quite pricey but worth the expense. Excellent hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Aloha! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted you enjoyed the resort’s spacious suites and the exceptional service you received from our staff. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon. Best wishes.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We were so happy with this hotel and its staff. Everyone was so warm & friendly. The room was superb; a suite with 2 TV's, a mini fridge and even a microwave. My husband and I really appreciated having double sinks and the tub was large & great (something that really makes the room for me!) Even though we requested a mountain view room, we still had a view of the ocean. Keep an eye out for humpback whales! The beach and pool area are simply lovely. We don't have kids so it was nice to have the option of an adult pool. The beach is paradise. Its located in a good part of Maui, close to everything. We'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phanie12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!