“Great resort for families and couples...”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phx, AZ
“Great resort for families and couples...”
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Just returned from a one week trip with my finance and our two young children (eight and one year old) at the Fairmont Kei Lani on Maui. We could not have been happier with the location (we knew we wanted to stay in Wailea) and the service and amentities of the hotel.

Upon check in we were upgraded to a partial ocean view suite (we had booked a Fairmont suite=garden view). The staff was very friendly upon arrival and we were checked in our room with our bags there in less than 10 minutes. The room is large (850 square feet) compared to other properties and very functional. While I do agree with some prior reviews that the furnishings could use some updating this did not detract from the room. The room was very clean and housekeeping came twice a day to maintain the room. We were in Maui to spend time at the pools and the beach so the style of the room was not a problem for us.

The resort grounds are very beautiful and well maintained. There are three pools, one of which is for adults only. The pools were very clean and well maintained. The hotel is scheduled to renovate the pool decks later in 2010. We never had a problem finding lounge chairs at any time during our stay (regardless of the time of day). Families will love the two pools that connect by a slide. The lower level pool has a lot of areas that are only three to three and half feet (good for kids). The adult pool is very large and is very relaxing.

The hotel is located about 100 yards or so from Polo Beach which is very calm and seems like a private beach. The beach is only accessible from the Fairmont or the Polo Beach Club next store. Based on that, it is less crowded than Wailea Beach which the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea front.

We only ate one breakfast and one lunch at the resort. Both were very good. Here is a list of where we ate and a brief description:
Duo (Four Seasons)-great ambience and but our meal was so so. Was very pricey.
Five Palms-very nice beach side location and good food.
Cafe O'Lei-good food and resonable prices. Downside is the restaurant does not offer any views.
Cheeseburger in Paradise-would skip this all together.
Mamas Fish House-Is a must! Lives up to all the hype!

In summary, I have stayed at the Four Seasons before and it is a wonderful property. I am very glad we picked the Fairmont and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank gregory1991

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Korean first
Pasadena
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Stayed for three nights in May. There to celebrate my daughters fortieth birthday. Problems began at check in when staff person indicated we were booked into a suite with king bed when I had reserved two double beds. Problems occur all the time in life but it is how they are handled which makes the difference. Staff person after much hesitation indicated they could make the "change" but could not tell me how long that would take. Her attitude was one of annoyance and unconcern. Took a seat in the lobby and room was available in about 20 minutes. After some touring, returned to room to take a bath only to find that the closure for the tub was not working. Spoke to Elise at front desk who presented with annoyed attitude and reluctantly offered to send maintenance person. Declined this offer and requested a change of room. After some time the room was changed which was quite interesting since the hotel was far from fully booked. My basic review of this hotel can be summed up by The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
1. The Good - Beautiful physical structure, luscious grounds, lovely pools. There is free self parking on site within close walking distance. The layout of the suite is excellent, microwave and refrigerator are an asset. The bathroom had been renovated and had a great soaking tub, two facebowls, plentiful towels, very nice bathrobes. The furniture on the balcony is adequate for watching the beautiful ocean view. The beach is wonderful and very private.
2. The Bad - The hotel seems to be living on past reputation. All of the furniture in the rooms and the public areas are old and seedy looking. The electronics should be an embarrassment to The Fairmont business. The televisions are big box, small screen appliances; unbelieveable in 2010. Even moderately priced hotel chains have big screen LCDs. A complete renovation is more than in order. There is no elegance or luxury to this hotel. It is overpriced for what is offered.
3. The Ugly - Except for the bellmen, the staff was not friendly are welcoming.
The hotel did nothing to acknowledge my daughter's birthday. We did not feel special, valued or appreciated during our stay. Our visit did not offer the luxury or comfort one would expect from this category of hotel. As a result of my disgust with this hotel, we spent most of our time traveling and spending money throughout the rest of Maui which we enjoyed tremendously. It goes without saying that I would encourage you to look elsewhere if you are seeking a luxury hotel with quality staff and service in Maui.

• Stayed May 2010
16 Thank teachgeron
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 May 2010

We just returned from a wonderful vacation at the Fairmont. We looked into many other hotels on Maui, including some located in Kaanapali and other hotels in Wailea. After walking through the grounds of the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea, we were very pleased to have chosen the Fairmont. As other reviews have noted, the Fairmont's beach is more private (and nearly as big) as the beach in front of the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea. We also preferred the grounds/lobby of the Fairmont, which seemed more relaxed and less "over the top" than the two neighboring hotels. A few additional impressions:

1. Service was very good and seemed genuinely friendly without being too much.

2. This is a great choice for families traveling with young children. Our (approximately) 5 year old ate free at most hotel restaurants and spent several days in "kids camp" which she loved. There were a number of families traveling with children of a similar age, which was nice for our daughter when she played in the pool and beach. I don't think that the number of children at the hotel would detract from an adult-only vacation - we would be happy to return even if our daughter was not traveling with us.

3. As others have noted, the rooms are quite large and represent a great value compared to other hotels in the area. We were in a Deluxe Ocean View room on the 4th floor and were very happy with the room, the view and the price we paid (through Costco travel). Yes, the decor of the rooms would benefit from some updating, but on the whole the rooms are extremely nice and on par with other luxury hotels that we've visited recently.

4. The grounds and pool are beautiful (lots of shallow areas for kids) and the beach is the best we saw in the area.

5. The hotel's location in Wailea is great - close to many good (but not cheap) restaurants and shopping. In addition to the good restaurant offerings at the Fairmont itself and other hotels in the area, we particularly enjoyed watching the sunset over dinner at Capische and listening to live music on the porch at Mulligan's on the Blue (which had surprisingly good food for an Irish pub). For a less expensive change of pace, one of our best meals of the vacation was at Amigos in Kihei - a modest restaurant in a strip mall with some of the best Mexican food we've had in a long time. We also really enjoyed the lua at Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina - if you are choosing among luas, do this one!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Rubybiercans
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Loved it. Was debating between 4Seasons or Fairmont. Glad we chose Fairmont. I enjoyed the fact that it had more land and everything was spread out. You could always find some where quiet to go. The other resorts in Wailea seemed very busy and compact. The service by the adult pool was great. Cold cloths, pineapple slices and someone always around to take drink and food orders. You can also have your own food and drink by the pools.
It was a very romantic spot. My hubby and I went down to the beach at night with wine at about 9pm and were the only 2 on the beach.
Ate at all the restaurants and was not dissappointed with anything. Nick's was great and the service was FUN.
Rooms were very clean and I did not have a problem with the decor. We booked a ocean view and they upgraded us when we checked in to a deluxe ocean view. We had a LCD tv in the living room and an older one in the bedroom. Did not watch TV at all.
I can't wait to go back and bring my kids. I loved it.
For those who are worried about the decor, get over it. Fairmonts are known for understated elegance. That is what the Kea Lani is. They are fixing up the pool floor areas putting in new material. I cannot wait to see what it will look like. FABULOUS.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Just returned from a 2nd stay at the Kea Lani, the last time was 5 years ago. Overall it was a great stay, but like a lot of the previous reviews state, the hotel needs some renovation, it needs to bring back the sparkle!

May is a great time to go--the hotel was very quiet, so we were surprised at the high fee for an upgrade. But what was more disappointing was that our honeymooning friends weren't upgraded either. I don't get it--if you want the guests to come back, and the hotel is half full, why can't you upgrade? However--that said, the rooms ARE nice, I'm mainly talking view here. The large suite-style rooms are great, especially useful for families. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. And yes--large bathroom! If we're nit-picking here, yes the rooms could use a freshening-up, the lanai furniture needs to be replaced, and it's time to remove the large TV cabinets and replace them with plasma/LCD's. You can't call yourself a luxury hotel in 2010 and still have box-set televisions. But did I come to Hawaii to watch TV? Nope. A great feature of these rooms is the microwave and refrigerator. Stock up at Safeway before you arrive!

Turndown service could be improved--I remember when we stayed the first time we received a treat--chocolate, flower petals, a Hawaiian prayer etc (wasn't a honeymoon or anything) I believe it's the small details which set luxury hotels apart, and it just seemed that some of these details were lacking.

Service was great. Not over-the-top Four Seasons great, but still there are some wonderful people who work here and they were always kind and helpful. No problems with housekeeping, they were excellent. Also--there are free washers/dryers, just ask and the front desk will tell you where they're located. They're nothing fancy, but they do the job. We didn't use the concierge. Valet guys are great too.

Pools-Three large, clean, beautiful pools. (And I hear they're getting worked on soon?) Great family pool, adult pool, and for those of you who want a swim-up bar, that's there too. Service is good by the pools too. That might be different during high season, but we never had a problem and the staff was efficient.

Beach-Great beach. Family-friendly...small waves, great for babies/toddlers. The great thing about this beach is that yes, it's smaller than Wailea Beach next door, but it's isolated from other resorts, no sharing w/other resorts, and the public tends to go to Wailea Beach. It's just as pretty--just not as busy. However, charging hotel guests for a beach umbrella is absurd. The chairs need to be replaced and service at the beach needs an improvement. Not bad--but def not as good as it could be. But it's a beautiful, clean beach., with spectacular views...yes, even sunset views.

We had a great meal at Nick's Fish Market. Fantastic service and food was delicious.
Buffet breakfast in the morning was fresh and tasty too. Yes the birds are annoying, but try to sit further inside. The hotel's hands are tied because the state protects the birds, there's nothing they can do. But it's not like dozens of pigeons land on your table---the workers shoo them away and it's small birds that usually...usually...wait til you're gone.
A bit annoying, yes, but breakfast was delicious.

Fitness facilities--Needs improvement. Definitely not up to par for the size and quality of the resort. They need a larger space and newer equipment, cardio machines, yoga space, etc. However, it was clean and everything was functioning well, so it did the job. Just not as good as it should be--like there's no one staffing it, handing you water/towel, cold washcloth, etc. Oh-a note to walkers/runners--the hotel is in a great spot for walks and runs--Wailea is beautiful. Not a busy, touristy area---it's just perfect for a run at dawn, which we did every morning along the ocean path.

Other random things:

--self park is free! no hidden fees there, and no, it's not a long walk to the hotel.
--the pool areas and gardens/ landscaping, etc need some work, but I hear that they are renovating and polishing up those areas. However, the pools themselves don't look like they need work, they were clean and sparkling, so don't think the pools are a dump--I think they're just trying to spruce up the whole area. And in general, the grounds and gardens are stunning, and the workers do a good job of maintaining it!
--some reviews noted drab hallways, chipped paint, etc. Yes, this is true--while the structure of the facility is gorgeous--white Grecian-looking, open air lobbies/fountains, etc the halls to the rooms need a freshening-up. But please don't let a less-than-sparkling hallway ruin your vacation, it's hardly noticeable and frankly---just a hallway!
--Make sure you join President's club before you leave for your vacation. You get freebies like free in-room internet.
-they have paddle board rentals for $40 an hour, $80 for 2 hours w/one hour lesson. We wanted to do this but never got around to it. (they have other rentals too)
--there is a good little cafe/sundry shop if you need it. Pricey, yes, but if you want to grab a Corona on the run, a sandwich, or some advil, gelato, or a good cup of coffee...there is a place to do that.

We did not bring our 3 small children with us, but we saw many families enjoying their stay--and they were not loud by any means. If you were there on a romantic trip you could easily be far from children at the adult pool area, and the beach is large enough to have your own cozy area to yourself. Because the grounds are so spread out, there are lots of areas to lounge.

Overall we had a great stay--no problems at all. But was it over the top? No. A pleasant stay, no real complaints, but it could be better. If they put a lot of TLC into the place and bring the "Wow" factor back, and kick the service up a notch, I'd probably stay here again. I prefer the Four Seasons, while my husband is perfectly happy at the Kea Lani. And because we received such a great deal on a package to stay at the Kea Lani, there was little debate...especially if we'd save a few bucks in this bad economy!

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Mahalo!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NewYorkerJournalist
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Just returned from the Fairmont Kea Lani in May, 2010. Booked an Ocean View suite.
Received a room on the fourth floor.
Overall, I would have to say the experience was excellent. The cheerful staff is very helpful and friendly. A lei greeting with refreshments on check-in. The elegant hotel itself is in good physical condition and appears well kept and maintained despite its age. The suite is large enough for my young child, wife and myself. The bathroom was large and impeccable. The pools are also superb and good for young children. The food at the hotel is very expensive but high prices are to be expected. The one negatives I do have to point out is that the hotel's beach - Polo - is not the best. At least during my stay, the ocean waves were somewhat high making my young daughter reluctant to go into the water. Polo beach is also not that large.
If you are seeking peace and relaxation, Wailea is definitely a better location to stay on Maui than towns such as Kihei, Kaanapali and Lahaina. Would definitely recommend the Fairmont to anyone but especially to families travelling with young children needing the larger space of a suite.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Our trip to Maui at the end of April 2010 was our first time to Hawaii. We had trouble deciding where to stay (in the end, it was between the Four Seasons and the Fairmont) and I am so glad that we picked the Fairmont. Our room had a deluxe ocean view and was located on the 6th floor. We couldn't have been happier with our view of the resort, pools and ocean. Our suite was roomy, clean and very functional. We could have paid slightly more at the Four Seasons (right next door) for a nicer, more up to date room, but we were glad to have to extra space and a large balcony to spend time on. My only complaint about the room was the bathroom. We had a nice big tub, but no jets and the nice walk-in shower didn't have any type of step or ledge to rest your foot on to shave your legs. (I know, this is petty).
The hotel was quiet at night and the staff was all very friendly. Everyone said "hello" to you while passing in the hallways and everyone made us feel welcome.
The pools were all very nice and not over crowded. There were times when you maybe couldn't sit exactly where you would have liked, but you were never without a chair. The staff at the pools were great - they brought cold water, slices of pineapple and cold washcloths around every so often. We spent the majority of our time at the adult pool which was very relaxing.
Breakfast was included with our stay and the buffet was great. The variety of food could please anyone and everything always seemed to be fresh. It was nice to sit pool side and enjoy breakfast every morning. The only drawback of sitting outside was that the birds were pests. It you left your table or plate unattended for only a second, they were eating your food! The staff tried to keep them away, but didn't always get there quick enough.
We liked that we could come and go from the hotel as we wished and didn't have to vallet park if we didn't want to. Although the parking lot was a bit of a walk from the hotel and the parking spots were extremely tight, it was nice to not be nickel-dimed with daily vallet charges.
There is a deli type restaurant in the hotel which we went to on multiple occasions to get a snack, a sandwich for lunch or even dinner one night. We loved that this was available to get good food that was a little bit more reasonably priced than the hotel restaurants.
We felt very at home at the Fairmont and completely loved our trip to Maui. We felt that staying in Wailea was the best spot on the island for us. It was more upscale and not as "touristy" as some of the other areas. Other areas of the island can be really windy and Wailea seemd to have great weather when even when it was cooler or windier on other parts. All in all, we were very happy with our stay at the Fairmont Kea Lani and will probably stay there again on our next trip.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank skline312
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!