“Great Experience at the Kea Lani”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tampa, FL
“Great Experience at the Kea Lani”
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Our stay and entire experience at the Kea Lani was excellent. My wife and I traveled to the Kea Lani on a wedding package and we were married at the resort. There were two nights in a deluxe oceanview suite included in the package, and we also purchased an additional three nights at the hotel in a lower room category. Upon our arrival, we were cheerfully greeted and given leis. We were upgraded to the deluxe oceanview suite at no extra cost and without even asking.

The suite was nicely decorated and very roomy. The bathroom was just wonderful, with a large marble walk in shower and garden tub. The bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets of high quality. There was a flat screen LCD television in the living room of the suite but only an older box television in the bedroom. A small refrigerator and microwave were also in the room. I thought the furniture in the room was of good quality, however the patio furniture was extremely cheap. I would have thought that a hotel the caliber of the Kea Lani would invest in better patio furniture.

The service that we received from all of the hotel's staff members was excellent, from the bell staff, to the courtesy car chauffeur, to our wedding coordinator. It was customary for the employees to greet you with an “Aloha” when you walked past them in the halls or on the grounds. Speaking of the grounds, they were picturesque and very nicely manicured. In all, a great location to have a wedding. I especially liked the adults only pool, as I don't much care for being around screaming children splashing all over the place when I'm trying to relax. The pool chairs were comfortable and staff members routinely walked around to take drink orders and bring by cups of water (and pineapple). At the beach there is an attendant who sets up your chairs for you. I also liked the relative privacy of Polo Beach. It is not connected to the main Wailea beach, and although all beaches on Maui are public it does not seem as crowded as Wailea beach.

My wife was very impressed with the staff and the quality of her bridal hairdo that she received at the Juvenal hair salon at the hotel. The pacific terrace was a beautiful place for a wedding and the staff was great during the cocktail reception that we had following the ceremony. Nick's Fishmarket was where we had our reception dinner, and everything there was also excellent (I'm posting a separate review of Nick's as well).

The worst part about staying at the Kea Lani was having to leave. I would suggest anyone thinking about staying at the resort to join Fairmont's free President's Club, which gets you things during your stay such as complimentary internet access and use of golf clubs (which rent for about $50 at the local courses in Maui). I know that a lot of people compare the Kea Lani to the Four Seasons, and I'm not sure that it's really a fair comparison. A comparable room at the Four Seasons is about double the rate at the Kea Lani, so it's understandable that you're going to get more for “free” such as cabanas and beach umbrellas. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Kea Lani again, and am especially looking forward to going back and seeing their renovations to the pool areas after they take place this fall.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TPAdiver79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (963)
  • Korean first
Washington DC
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani the last week in May. I read through the reviews and was really hoping that things would have been better than what we experienced. The hotel is located in Wailea, which is a nice, but very touristy and busy area. We were taken to our Oceanview Suite which had more of a pool/slight ocean view but we didn't make a big deal of it. The room itself was quite large and was overall nice. I didn't feel the room was run down as was reported in other reviews. Bed was comfortable but closet space was lacking. Luckily there was plenty of other space since the room was a suite. Where the hotel really lacks is service. The hotel is really geared more for families. There were plenty of young children around the resort and at the restaurants. We didn't spend much time at the pool or beach because there were just too many people. I don't really like the rows of beach chairs lined up- not my thing for sure. Definitely wouldn't be my idea of a romantic place either. The worst experiences were definitely with Concierge, they were down right rude on so many occasions that I would hate to walk by them to go up the elevator back to our room. I really would not consider this place if you are looking for luxury or service. We ended up spending more of our time in Maui away from the resort going on various excursions (that I found myself from my research- NO help from the horrible concierge.) Even the bartender and a few of the people working at the front desk had such a bad attitude. Also watch out for the birds at breakfast- they are worse than any other place I have been. They literally will take food off your plate! The servers see this happening, they have plate covers they will give if you ask, but they should really just give them to everyone. Who wants to come back from stepping to the buffet to get juice to see your plate of food with birds all over it- ridiculous. There were several other small occurrences at the hotel with mistakes by staff and just bad attitudes in general. Even though this place looks nice it just misses the mark for me to come back.
There was a nice beach path for jogging in the morning and the gym was decent. I will highly recommend going on the Canoe Experience and also there is a pay excursion at the beach with a canoe with a Red Sail, that was really fantastic. I just can't vouch for the hotel in any other way, except if you get a great deal, have low expectations and plan on being away most of the time, or if you have kids. I gave it an average because if you are a family and/or you don't have high expectations for luxury/service then this place might be acceptable. Maui had some absolutely beautiful sights though, especially when you got away from the more touristy areas. I would probably stay at the Ritz in Kapalua or go for something small and away from all the crowds in Hana next time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Travcarib
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I was concerned when I read the mixed reviews about this property. So i'll start with the things that I agree with - the place could use an upgrade in areas like paint, carpeting, flat screen tvs (this only mattered during the Ghana vs. USA soccer match yesterday).
There are also areas of the property like the lanai's (terraces) that are not as clean as they could be but....

Having said all of that we had an OUTSTANDING time at this property.
I Loved the room, our view (a garden view overlooking the whole property plus a view of the ocean from the terrace), the amount of space between the living room, extra closets, huge bathroom, snack bar area.

The grounds were immaculate, the 3 pools were perfectly set up - the kiddie pool was great although the Grand Wailea kiddie pool with sand tops this one. Polo beach was so clean, the lounges, the awesome main lobby, the 1.5 mile walking path - I could go on about the property.

Every person on the staff was excellent from the point of check in to check out. We traveled with our 23 month old daughter and I reserved a pack and play and would you believe it was in our room fully set up when we arrived - if you travel with children you know this is not always the case. They even set up a diaper genie!

There were no early morning cleaning service experiences where you have to ask them to come back, in fact they cleaned our room at 6pm one evening by our request.

When we checked out not only did they allow us to stay until 2pm (our flight was leaving at 9pm) but they offered a hospitality suite to use while we stayed on the property for showering/changing once we checked out.

The Concierge team was amazing in knowing not only the basics of sights to see but they really catered to our specific interests in traveling with a toddler.

It was truly a peaceful oasis, beautiful property with outstanding service. Having visited the 4 seasons and Grand Wailea while there, no question the Faimont was the best choice for us.

I would give this place a 5 but they honestly should upgrade a few elements to be considered a 5.

Finally Wailea was also a good choice for us but it is definitely out of the way from most off property restaurants and other towns. It is truly a place to simply rest and relax, towns like Lahaina on the north west side have more liveliness to offer.

British Columbia
Reviewed 19 June 2010

The Fairmont Kea Lani is ideally located in Wailea, Maui. The grounds we really well appointed. Our garden view suite was clean, large and very comfortable. Yes, the furniture could have used an update - but the layout was perfect. The bathroom with a deep soaking tub, double sinks and rainwater shower was one of the highlights. Our four-year old delighted in taking long baths prior to bedtime each night. The buffet breakfast was of excellent quality and we sure appreciated that our daughter could eat for free. The package we booked through Alaska Airlines included a daily food and beverage credit and that helped take the sting out of the resort pricing. Being a member of the Fairmont president's club got us free internet access and a daily newspaper - an additional perk. We spent most dinners out and was pleasantly surprised with the Tommy Bahama's restaurant at the nearby shops at Wailea. The hotel had a free shuttle service to the shops and nearby restaurants, so that meant we could enjoy some wine with our dinner - worry free.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank discontenteddiva
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Just returned from Fairmont June 14th for eight night stay. Upgraded to Corner Oceon front with wrap around Lanai. Room was amazing and gave us plenty of room for my wife and 2 teenagers. Great meal at Nicks and enjoyed the pool and beach. Great snorkling and saw turtles. We loved the space we had in the rooms with multiple seating areas on the lanai. Staff was excellent. Dane at the pool bar is great for local info.

San Rafael, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,529 helpful votes
Reviewed 11 June 2010

We have stayed at this hotel 5 times over the last few years. Our last visit just a over month ago. We have stayed in Ocean front suites, partial ocean view suite, the 2 bedroom Ocean Front Villa and twice in the pool "walk out" suites. All the rooms are suites with large bathrooms and a decent bedroom and a living room with pull out couch. Our kids all sleep together on the pull out and they are totally happy with that. Now we are "sold" on the pool walk out rooms and will not stay in any other room. We usually take another family or extended family and have them stay in a suite there too. The walk out to pool rooms are " Specialty Rooms" and they sell out very quickly. In my opinion they are the best for families like us with little kids. My kids are 9, 6, 4 and 5 months. So "technically" one of us is in another suite.

This is our favorite hotel in Maui. It is comfortable and in a beautiful location and the beach is right out your door. Literally, if you stay in a Villa or a walk out room. More later about why we prefer the walk out over the Villa.

The hotel has a fabulous views from the lobby. Like a postcard beautiful. The minute you get there you feel good. They give you a lei and a cold drink. And an warm Aloha welcome.

OK.. so the low down.. as I put it. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly:

The good:

I love this beach! It has never been crowded even when the pool is packed the beach seems to never have too many people on it.
You can walk from the hotel and especially the rooms I mentioned above. This is the best part. You walk on some grass down a cement path down about 15 stairs and Volia! Sand! It's heaven!

The pool is not huge like some of the other hotels in Maui. We like that. It isn't small either. I call it manageable. I feel like my kids can go down the water slide and run, um I mean walk back up the stairs and I can feel like they are not going to get lost. There is a swim up bar and the same staff seems to have worked there forever. All super friendly and super kind to the kids.

The restaurants have excellent food, but I prefer to eat with a view while in Hawaii and none of themon site have much of a view. Nick's Fish Market has wonderful service but your view is of the pool. I think a peek a boo of the ocean. I would go there when it's dark out so you can see all the tiki torches lit up all around the property. That makse it pretty. If you go at Sunset it is not worth it. But it is fun to be outside at sunset because a man runs around and light the tikis. He is hawiann and clad in a little get up and that would be it. the kids love it. He literally runs from tiki to tiki with a torch in hand. Like a pied piper with a bunch of little kids chasing him.

The other restaurant is called Co. Good food, stinky view, outdoor cafe style with very uncomfortable chairs and wobbly tables. However, excellent service. The breakfast is actually in another area. Again, decent food. Average buffet but no view. Lot's of little birds fly around because it is open. Watch your plate! Lastly there is a store cafe with pizza parlor. It stinks. Plan to eat at the overpriced buffet unless you want to eat off property. Eating off property means rounding up all the kids, car seats and stroller.. so we grin and bear the "no view" for breakfast and lunch. Oops... almost forgot there is a small restaurant by the pool. Food is ok but limited menu. It gets "old" fast. Like one day and you are done with that food. The kids of course think it is super cool to eat food at the swim up bar and will order a million smoothies if you don't stop them.

Waliea has a ton of good restaurants so the concierge can help you get a table at Serrento's on the Beach (Nick's sister restaurant) or Five Palms for breakfast. Also fun to walk to nearby hotels. The food at Four Seasons is good food, but again I don't like the views. A fun and beautiful view restaurant is Humuhumunukunukuapua'a at the Grand Waliea.

I would not eat at the shops of Waliea unless you are there shopping and happen to be hungry. We like Tommy Bahama's restaurant when we shop. Every one raves about the restaurant downstairs "Longies" but after several tries we prefer Tommy's. Cheese Burger in Paradise is another restaurant at the Shops (a few blocks from the hotel) and every time we have had poor service there.

The bad:

Hate to say it but the rooms need updating. This is not a huge factor for us so we really don't care that the room looks the same year after year. They did repaint the lobby recently though. lol

Restaurant service is excellent but all other service is pretty average.

The spa is not luxurious at all. If you want to Spa.. stay at the Grand or even The Four Seasons.

The shopping in the hotel very limited and not fun.

The Ugly:

The time we stayed in the beachfront Villa was well.. so bad I can't write about it or you might not want to stay at this hotel. It was gross. I forgive them for the unclean, broken down, stinky ( I mean it) Villa because they made it up to us. Don't they get it that anyone paying for a Villa expects it to be really luxurious? I would rather sleep in a hut (minimal and simple with no phone and no TV yet "Clean") at Kona Village then these smelly Villas. We stayed away from the hotel for quite a while and then came back for another try and now we are hooked on the "walk out to pool suites" which really are walk out to pool and run to the beach rooms.

So since the hotel made it right after a disaster week in the Villa. We still love this hotel. They should just tear down the Villas and redo them. Really they should. It would be nice if they gave all the other rooms a face-lift too.

Ok.. there you go! Have fun and don't forget the Sunblock. They ran out at the store of the kind we like (spray on) and they don't have many choices for diapers or wipes so stock up. The ABC store at the "shops down the road" doesn't have good diapers or wipes either so bring more than enough!

Ok.. good enough. Book it now.. but save a "walk out to pool" Suite for me!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
9 Thank MelissaBradley
Phx, AZ
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Just returned from a one week trip with my finance and our two young children (eight and one year old) at the Fairmont Kei Lani on Maui. We could not have been happier with the location (we knew we wanted to stay in Wailea) and the service and amentities of the hotel.

Upon check in we were upgraded to a partial ocean view suite (we had booked a Fairmont suite=garden view). The staff was very friendly upon arrival and we were checked in our room with our bags there in less than 10 minutes. The room is large (850 square feet) compared to other properties and very functional. While I do agree with some prior reviews that the furnishings could use some updating this did not detract from the room. The room was very clean and housekeeping came twice a day to maintain the room. We were in Maui to spend time at the pools and the beach so the style of the room was not a problem for us.

The resort grounds are very beautiful and well maintained. There are three pools, one of which is for adults only. The pools were very clean and well maintained. The hotel is scheduled to renovate the pool decks later in 2010. We never had a problem finding lounge chairs at any time during our stay (regardless of the time of day). Families will love the two pools that connect by a slide. The lower level pool has a lot of areas that are only three to three and half feet (good for kids). The adult pool is very large and is very relaxing.

The hotel is located about 100 yards or so from Polo Beach which is very calm and seems like a private beach. The beach is only accessible from the Fairmont or the Polo Beach Club next store. Based on that, it is less crowded than Wailea Beach which the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea front.

We only ate one breakfast and one lunch at the resort. Both were very good. Here is a list of where we ate and a brief description:
Duo (Four Seasons)-great ambience and but our meal was so so. Was very pricey.
Five Palms-very nice beach side location and good food.
Cafe O'Lei-good food and resonable prices. Downside is the restaurant does not offer any views.
Cheeseburger in Paradise-would skip this all together.
Mamas Fish House-Is a must! Lives up to all the hype!

In summary, I have stayed at the Four Seasons before and it is a wonderful property. I am very glad we picked the Fairmont and would highly recommend it.

1 Thank gregory1991
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Montage Kapalua Bay
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!