“Don't hesitate to stay here in Wailea” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Allen, Texas
“Don't hesitate to stay here in Wailea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

If you want to stay in Wailea and don't want to pay an exhorbitant amount per night, I would recommend this hotel. We have stayed here twice. The rooms are spacious and the beds and pillows are comfortable. We like Hale 4, ocean views and near the adult pool. The service is good, the pool restaurant always serves well prepared, fresh food, the gym and spa are good and Mala, the restaurant is very good as well. We like the beach walkway and the sidewalks around the hotels and neighborhoods here. The Shops at Wailea are in front of the hotel with lots of great shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for premium ocean view so you don't get an obstructed view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (886)
  • Korean first
Pt. Pleasant, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We spent 7 glorious days at the Wailea Beach Marriott! As a Gold elite, I had gotten a great Marriott Reward rate of $275 per night for an oceanfront room and the breakfast buffet for 2 each day. That was incredible value for Maui, and especially Wailea. Our top-floor room overlooked the ocean, directly over the Serenity pool, in Hale 4. We loved seeing the gorgeous sunsets, as well as how pretty the pool looked at night all lit up.

Our arrival was excellent. The complimentary valet parking for day one is a great way to start your stay. Frank Hill, Manager on Duty, was quick to say Hi and welcome us to the resort. We arrived early on a Sunday, and our room was not ready. However, the front desk took our mobile number and did, in fact, call us when our room was ready about an hour later. It was just enough time to stroll down to the pool bar and watch some football, have a drink.

There are so many conflicting reviews here on TA about the rooms at this hotel. I didn't know what to expect! Personally, I don't understand the complaints about not having carpeting. In a tropical setting, who wants carpeting that can hold sand, dampness, or smell mildewy? I love the cool, clean feeling of tile. The décor is fine, although yes, it is probably due for a freshening. I do understand the complaints about the beds. We actually found them to be comfortable (we slept great every night), but they just feel odd being so low to the ground. It was hard to grab things like my glasses from the much taller nightstand at night. If I was going to deduct any points from my rating, it would be on the room furnishings, but to be honest - that just didn't matter to us that much.

We really liked having an empty mini-fridge in the room. We stocked up (Safeway in Kihei, off of Pilani Highway) on water, soda, beer, wine plus some cheese, crackers, etc. It was very convenient. The bathroom was large and well-lit. We always had tons of towels, bathroom toiletries, etc. Our housekeeper, Gloria, kept our room spotless - plus she was so friendly and cheerful every day. Many thanks to her!

We loved the Serenity Pool! Excellent service from the wait staff, and of course, the view is just perfect. While we were too early to spot any whales, we did seem tons of spinner dolphin several days. If you need an umbrella, get down there early. Shady spots go quickly. We like a bit of sun (and use 50 SPF...) and really never had trouble finding 2 lounge chairs when we needed them. Note that there is Happy Hour at the pool (and pool bar, of course) from 3 to 5 daily, with very discounted drink prices. There are 4 other pools, one with slides for kids, one next to it, and then 2 others in front of the hotel overlooking the ocean. We used the hot tub one night, with some late night cocktails (in plastic, of course!) along with some other couples. Nice way to wind down an evening...

Our rate included the breakfast buffet. The selection was good, although not much variation from day to day. Service was hit or miss at breakfast. The hostesses always seated us promptly, but service for coffee, water, etc. varied greatly from day to day. I was happy to have this included, because I hate having to track down something to eat every morning and it filled us up enough that we never had to get lunch. However, if not included, I would not pay for it each day.

The self parking was included in the resort fee and while the garage was tight, we never had trouble finding a space. One thing we really liked and took advantage of is that the hotel offers a free shuttle to restaurants in Wailea. We used it to go to Joe's, Gannon's, Monkeypod, etc. We always tipped the driver, of course. It was also very convenient to have the Shops at Wailea right next door. We also ate at Tommy Bahama and Longhi's while there.

The concierge at the hotel, Vicki, helped us out with maps, advice and dinner reservations. She was extremely knowledgeable - just what you want from your concierge.

Finally, check-out was a breeze. Our bill was exactly what we expected.

All in all, I would definitely go back to the Marriott and would recommend it to others. I also really loved the Wailea area. I had some concerns about finding enough to do at night, but that was completely unfounded. We didn't even get a chance to hit as many places as we hoped to. What I really liked about the Marriott was its casual, yet upscale style. Not stuffy, but really, really nice. And while a large hotel, its sprawling grounds and many pool areas, large lobby, etc. gave you a sense of seclusion.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jtwiz
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I vacationed in Hawaii to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We were guided by a close friend to the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa and we are so glad he did. Wailea in general is quieter than the popular Kannepalli, but was exactly what we were looking for.
After some difficulty locating the entrance because it was a dark evening and there are ordinances against too much lighting, we were warmly greeted by the bellhop. Check-in was a breeze and the first night free valet parking was helpful so weren't trying to figure out the parking in the dark. The luggage was delivered promptly to our room by a friendly guy who patiently answered all my questions about the resort and the area and even volunteered some information of his own.
Our package included breakfast, and as we are from Ohio, we were first in line when the restaurant opened at 6:30am. The buffet had many options, including an egg station. In theory, it was for omelets, but many requested alternate styles of eggs. The chef each day prepared to order and was very friendly. There are wonderful views of the pools and ocean while you dine. My only complaint was the hostess's comments (twice) about being from Cleveland. Say what you will about my hometown, it's generally not considered good customer service to be so negative.
The ocean view room offered far more than the sliver I was worried we'd receive. The bed was very comfortable, TV worked fine, and all was very clean. Our room included a chair and sofa as well as a small table and chairs on the deck.
The pools were all lovely, but we enjoyed the infinity/reflection pool a great deal. And, when we were at the resort, this was our chosen area to relax.
We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 2 - this was convenient to lobby, pools and parking as well as the walking pat...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mbauer1963
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. Great location, lots to do, lots to eat. Our room was very close to the pool and the staff was great. Sunsets and whale watching were unbelievable. Awesome walking spots, great shopping -- I really can't think of anything that was missing, and wish I was there now. :)

Room Tip: Stock up at Costco by the airport and make drinks in your room. :)
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zaggagal
Greencastle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

What an amazing stay! My sister and I spent a girl's only week in paradise! This resort is amazing! Beautiful rooms, gorgeous pools, relaxing spa and wonderful places to eat. Walking distance to the Shops at Wailea. Everyone is so kind and accommodating from Frank, (the manager on duty), to Daniel, (the front desk supervisor), to Jay, (our server at the Kuma Bar and Grill), to Zelie and Judy, (front desk agents). It was my first trip to Maui and there are so many resorts on the island. So glad we picked Marriott, they always shine through. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ocean front, while more expensive, is the way to go!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris F
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed at the Marriott during a recent visit, as our condo up the beach was being used by one of our partners. So we were familiar with the property, having walked by it 500 times, but never had really experienced it. Although it does not have its "own" beach (all beaches are public in Hawaii), as it fronts a rocky shore, it has very close access to two wonderful, sandy beaches north and south of the property. So it has all the bells and whistles, but is quieter on the whole than most of the properties along this stretch. It has beautiful grounds, and several pools (although, put a towel down EARLY if you want a shady spot near the infinity pool), and stunning views to the west, and of course, sunsets!

I also want to thank the staff profusely for sending my make-up bag to me so promptly after I discovered I had left in the room bathroom drawer. Completely my fault, and yet I was not charged for the mistake. Thank you. We will send others your way!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Honolulu
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

1) was never notified if I could check in early, even though I requested.
2) after calling three marriott numbers (rewards line, reservation line and hotel directly) I was unable to reserve luau tickets and was told to check in at the desk upon arrival.
3) upon arrival check in was fine; however I arrived at two o'clock, had to go to a different desk to get signed up for luau tickets (started at 4:30)--and then went to my room.
4) room seemed normal; did not appear to have been an upgrade as my platinum status suggested.
5) Luau was normal seating--no upgraded seating for being a platinum member.
6) upon returning to my room; I had a message that I should come pick up my welcome packet because of my platinum status--but when I went they were closed and the desk told me to come by in the morning.
7) As I did not receive my mandatory aloha card offering a 10% off on the "activity of the day"--I don't know if I was cheated out of my benefits yet again when I went on the scuba tour ($100/person)
8) I used my "free Starbucks" coupon at the Starbucks on property; however Starbucks stated it was only good for $3.50 off a normal price (i.e.not free). In addition, still no 20% off that I should have had because your staff failed to give my my benefits
9) no free breakfast even though I'm a platinum member; however, I was offered a discounted breakfast at $25/person... (what a deal, right? :/ )
10) resort fee was not waived
11) pictures from scuba were not ready/available after being forced to walk to three different locations to see if "they" had them. The hotel staff knew when I was leaving and checking out--and I was forced to leave without the pictures.
12) the valet service lost my car. I provided name, license plate, color--and after flipping through his name book a few times he suggest **I** look through his registry to find my vehicle. Are you[--] me?
13) During my stay, when I attempted to complain to the front desk, asking for a comment cards, they said I was unable to as one would be emailed to me after my stay (4 days later, still no email). I spoke to "a supervisor" (female) and she stated nothing could be done about my complaints either. When I asked for her business card so I knew who I could direct my complaints at, she went to an office and produce a business card for "Eric Bridge" the concierge. I wanted to complain about her; she was the on-duty supervisor and failed in her duties.

...is this typical of a "4-star" hotel?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Darmisias
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui? Share your experiences!