“Always a treat”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Consistently very good dishes--like shrimp putenesca, eggplant moussaka; various pastas. Very good service, never rushed! BYOB makes it an even better value.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This restaurant is quite small but reservations are available The food is excellent and the waitresses we've had have been wonderful. Bring your own bottle as they do not have a liquor license. I enjoy this restaurant tremendously.

1  Thank sandyjz
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our first visit to Café Italia, recommended by friends, and we're already looking forward to returning. While the location in a small strip mall may be uninspiring, the inside is warm and inviting. It's a small dining room, with the tables a bit close together, but it's cozy instead of off-putting. And the food is worth it! My husband loved his veal marsala, because the veal was particularly good and the sauce flavorful. My cavatelli with broccoli and Italian sausage hit the right spot for my pasta craving with its rich butter and garlic sauce, with plenty of al dente pasta and bits of broccoli and the optional sausage added in (otherwise with chicken or as is). The menu isn't overwhelming and has enough variety for meat, chicken, and pasta to satisfy your Italian food tastes. Seafood seemed to be mostly shellfish options. We skipped the appetizer in favor of the generous bread basket served with olive oil seasoned lightly with garlic and red pepper flakes, and we didn't save room for dessert. We enjoyed every last bite of our entrees instead of saving some for leftovers. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. BYOB, so bring a bottle of wine you know you'll enjoy. Reservations recommended, even during the week, because it is a small dining room.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Here's the perfect meal (for me, anyway): antipasto, pasta bolognese, braciole di carne, and maybe some dessert if I'm not already so stuffed I can't eat another bite. At Cafe Italia, all these dishes are superbly prepared. The antipasto has plenty of tasty meats, cheese, and egg, as well as olives, peppers, and not too much lettuce; it's enough for four people but so irresistible that my wife and I have been known to finish it all by ourselves. The bolognese isn't available all the time; but if you can't get it on the day you visit, that will give you an excuse to come back soon and try again. The restaurant's decor is, shall we say, unpretentious. Fortunately, I don't eat decor. The service is friendly and efficient, and the staff do their best to get you what you want. Because Cafe Italia is BYOB, your tab at the end of the meal will not cause indigestion. In short, you would have to drive to Federal Hill in Providence or the North End in Boston to get an Italian dinner this good, and your wallet would suffer for the drive.

1  Thank IrvingBrown
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We heard of this place from friends of ours and decided to try it. To our surprise the food was really tasty. The place is small but the service and fresh food make up for it. My husband & I had the calamari as an appetizer, entrées he had the lasagna & I had the lobster ravioli. We had salted caramel gelato & all was delicious. FYI, it is BYOB.

1  Thank Kristy S

Been to Cafe Italia? Share your experiences!