“Great Place to Visit with your Pet”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Bedford
Captain Haskell's Octagon House
Ranked #2 of 3 New Bedford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at Captain Haskell's Octagon House with our elderly poodle in May of last year, and couldn't have found a better accommodations for traveling with a pet. The house is gorgeous and the room was lovely. The proprietor is gracious and the breakfast was delicious. We were able to walk to the museum and restaurants and had a lovely time. My husband left his glasses behind but they were mailed to us immediately, and we got them back in a couple of days. A real gem!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RebeccaMigdal

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I came to New Bedford just to see the Whaling Museum and was surprised to find that my trip was greatly enriched by my decision to stay at the Octagon House.

The house: An elegantly appointed time machine to a different world. The sunroom has an indoor cactus, succulent and palm garden and is very inviting. The dining room has a colorful teapot collection. Marvelous antiques abound, lots of eye candy. The building has so much character, you can't help but feel more civilized when you come inside.

The location: The Octagon House is nestled in a crowd of breathtaking mansions from New Bedford's prosperous whaling era. If you take the self-guided walking tour, it will lead you on an enriching stroll through the immediate neighborhood of stately -- often stunning -- residences. The location could not be more central: a ten minute walk gets you to the Whaling Museum and the waterfront, a walk in the other direction takes you to Buttonwood Park. It is a quiet, pedestrian-friendly, scenic community with nothing to deter the solo female traveler.

The personnel: Chuck is a master of thoughtful details. Any comfort you may need is likely already in place, or it will be readily supplied at your request. Chuck really "made" my trip for me -- he is the kind of interesting person one wants to encounter while traveling, and he had more historical information and guidance to offer than the folks at the Visitor's Center. He is deeply knowledgeable about the area and can give you any type of recommendation or suggestion you might need. Further, he assembles a lovely breakfast every morning (healthy, with a little bit of decadence -- fresh fruit slices, treats from local bakeries, coffee or tea, yogurt, etc). He has an innate talent for anticipating your needs and exceeding your expectations!

The sights: New Bedford is an incredible place in itself, but my favorite thing about my trip and my visit to the Octagon House is that I discovered much more than I expected. The area has a rich heritage of cultural and commercial activity with seafaring folk from the Azores and Cape Verde -- this greatly informs the exhibits at the Whaling Museum and it is also reflected in the local restaurants and businesses. If you use New Bedford as a base for exploring the region, there are incredible natural sights -- trails, beaches, rivers, creeks -- and local industry (farms, handicrafts, galleries) that will give you plenty to write home about.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor in a little room that was just a perfect amount of space for me as a singl...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2014

When I signed up in December to run in the New Bedford half marathon, I had difficulty finding a place to stay in town that would take our beautiful, well behaved golden retriever, Bonnie. Captain Haskell's B&B was a lifesaver, welcoming us and our large dog. My husband and I and Bonnie were very comfortable there for race weekend March 15 and 16. The inn was quiet and comfortable with charming antiques. I was nervous about the race so found the relaxing atmosphere just perfect. My husband and I could walk to dinner and to the start of the race; the location was perfect. Chuck made us feel right and home and cooked a healthy breakfast just right for me before the long run. My husband and I particularly enjoyed sitting and reading in the garden room. We hope to return in the spring when we can explore the town of New Bedford and I can just relax and be a tourist.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

It breaks my heart to read some of these negative reviews, because this house is nothing but treasure! The quaint home is filled with spirit and stories. I am so thankful that the owner shares his special house with others. In the morning, we were greeted to a new day with a lovely breakfast in the dining room. Had the best homemade scones while ogling over the unique teapot collection. We stayed in the master bedroom, which has its own bathroom and balcony. Filled with charming antiques and a smell of history, the home is super clean and the host is very attentive to making sure you are welcome. Also there is a driveway, where we were able to park our car with no issues. Downtown New Bedford was only a brief walk. Thank you and I am looking forward to staying with you again when I am in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sylvia148
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We are veteran vacationers in B&B's and we were looking forward to our stay at Captain Haskell's Octagon House. My review of this Inn is written with torn emotion as the owner Chuck, is very nice, accommodating, and knowledgeable about the area, and the resident cats very affectionate. Each morning the table was set and ready for us with fruit, juice, coffee/tea, homemade scones and biscuits.

Finding the house is easy enough, but we didn't realize that parking was on the street. There is one off-street parking spot, but it's on a first-come, first-served basis. The Inn is located on the corner of a very busy intersection, so don't be surprised to be awakened by the blow of horn.

As for the house, it appears tired and in need of some necessary updates. Sharing a door (which was locked on both sides) with Chuck's office, our room didn't have a closet, wardrobe, or bureau, but there was a hanging rack. We had to get creative with our baggage in order to organize our clothes. Plus, we were worried that the weight of our hanging clothes would be too much for the wall rack. The wallpaper in our room was lifting off of the walls and had visible cat scratches on the corners. The bathroom had original fixtures but didn't have any ventilation, which is necessary. While a door does open out onto the roof, it opens hard and loud and can't be left open for security purposes. Also, the exterior door of the two rooms on the 2nd floor do not have locks. Luckily, one of our friends had rented the other room, so we weren't too worried, but we would have had serious concerns about our privacy otherwise.

Knowing that Chuck is the sole caretaker of the house, it might be helpful if he brought in a maid or housekeeper to regularly keep up on the dusting, as there was a lot of it around, and to keep switches cleaned, etc. The greenhouse area was in need of a good sweep as well as there were cobwebs under the chairs. We also noticed a lot of extension cords, and outlets that were not completely secured.

I last thing that I have to offer has to deal with breakfast. We were offered an option of tea, which was wonderful. What we didn't expect was to see a very dirty water warmer show up in the dining room. I would suggest that Chuck give this a good scrubbing, as it sits next to his stove, or buy a separate unit just for guests.

Other than that, the bed was comfortable and we enjoyed our time in New Bedford.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Chuck goes well out of his way to accommodate random travelers with dogs: water bowls and dog resistant comforters appear magically in the room. As a wedding had taken up most of the house Chuck kindly gave me a berth in the servants quarters at the top of the house. Eight doors opening off a single octagonal landing like something out of Harry Potter, doors reflected in a hall of mirrors--though the steep winding stairs are daunting for elderly golden retrievers. A charming place, a genuinely good hearted host. But: use the phone, as I find he does not respond to email messages sent to the email address listed for his website. I knocked on the door and showed up in person, so he could vet my dog. Puppies prone to chewing would b worrisome in a house with so much Victorian wicker.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rafaelo1954
Reviewed 17 July 2013

The owner of the house was very kind and considerate considering the fact that it was 12 AM when I called looking for a room. He cleaned up the room at last minute which I appreciated. Overall I thought the price he quoted was a little expensive, $160.00 but then again it was last minute. The room was adorable, and we were served breakfast before checking out. Overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Captain Haskell's Octagon House? Share your experiences!