“One of the best places I have ever stayed at”

Pousada Canto Bravo
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Ilhabela
Reviewed 30 May 2013

If you seek peace and quiet - at a yet quite untouched paradise - this is the place. We hiked back and forth. Not the easiest hike (you will need to walk across a small river), but totally doable. We had our backpacks only, good hiking shoes, and lots of bug spray , so the thing is: just don't bring too much, because you actually wont need it.
The charming decorated rooms, with candles and lots of windows for natural lighting, the amazing view to the ocean, and the romantic and peaceful atmosphere just make this pousada one of the best I have ever stayed at - both in Brazil and abroad. If not, the best!
Food is also good, though a bit expensive. The inn keepers and young servers were very nice.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anaduran

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Where do I even begin describing a place that can only be experienced. We hiked to the inn - yes, it is a long, challenging hike for 2 50 yr olds but of course not for our 20 yr old son. Also - thank goodness he is fluent as we would not have faired too well otherwise. Our son made the arrangements so we didn't know what we were in for - and man - what a delight! Dont expect wifi service - there is NO electricity! (what an unexpected treat). (as my son said when we first discovered the candles - - you dont stay here for the free wifi!) The inn, rooms, dining room, bar, can only be described as charming and eclectic. Every time I woke during the night, i tried to stay awake because i wanted to soak it all in. Really... it is a magical place. The food at the restaurant is hyper local and fantastic. The inn keepers and young servers were delightful. OK. the one downside - the reviews about the bugs are true. I made the mistake after not being bitten the first day, of falling asleep on the beach the next morning for an hour. I paid for it for a week. Just bring bug spray. Other than that - a truly fascinating place I could have stayed more nights. We took the boat back. The hike is doable for sure but we had too much to see/do in Brazil for another 4+ hr trek.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank claycourtdad
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Had a great trip to Ilhabela and the stay at Pousada Canto Bravo made it really worthwhile. The initial boat ride started with a bit of turn off as the boat guy tried to get some money out of me, but the hotel manager Andrea brushed him off when we highlighted to her about the bargaining the boat guy tried to do.
The place is serene, peaceful and very very relaxing. No light in the rooms - except candle light, no artificial fluffy 5 start stuff. But if you like peace (no cell phone, no e-mails etc) thats the place.
The weather turned bad just before my planned departure, Andrea did her best to arrange a boat and she even had to make calls from a local phone which was partially working to reach some one in the other side of the strait to get the boat. Commendable attitude and friendliness. (She was a sailor before so she can judge the sea and advise if it is safe !!)
Overall Great place.

Ambiance - 9/10
Overall experience - 8/10 (well, did not enjoy the bumpy boat ride !!!)
room - 8/10
restaurant - 8/10
friendliness - 10/10
Quality of stay - 9/10
return for vacation - YES YES

Room Tip: There are less than 10 rooms including the salon. I had a standard room and was fabulous.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anand R
Reviewed 18 November 2010

MAGIC PLACE, if u like nature its the place.
Thanks for all for my very nice weekend.!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lzanzini
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Definitely an unique place. Located in an isolated fisherman village of a tropical island just few hours drive from the City of São Paulo, this is the place to go if you are looking forward adventure (trails, waterfalls and watersports), relaxation (amazing views, pristine beaches and no crowds) and also great people... Posada Canto Bravo is located in the best spot of the village (right on the beach) and offers confortable rooms and excelent food. Me, my family and friends are frequent costumers of this guest house and we can say that the best times of our lifes were spent there! Cheers

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I went with my boyfriend to this "hotel". It was the best trip of my life. The location is great and the food is excellent. The staff are friendly and are always available.
We slept with the sound of the sea and on comfortable beds.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2010

My husband and I went with another couple and we all had an amazing experience. I understand that this may not be an experience for everybody's taste but the website does a great job at describing the place and the environment surrounding it. We chose to do the walk and that made it even more amazing. If you enjoy nature and like feeling close to it - you will love this whole experience. After the long hike, we were welcomed to a very rustic but confortable place. The food was absolutely wonderful and the host Daniel was great the entire time. I highly recommend this, but come prepared and read all the information on the website.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends