“Cute place to stay in Mindo for birdwatching!”
Review of Dragonfly Inn B&B

Dragonfly Inn B&B
Ranked #3 of 19 Mindo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

The Dragonfly Inn is a cute place in Mindo. It is about two hours south of Quito on roads through the mountains situated on the "main drag" of Mindo which is really a village. My room had gleaming hardwood floors, and when I asked for an additional lamp so I could read at night, the nice hotel staff were quick to respond. There are hummingbirds in the garden, and I could hear the Rio Mindo from the hammock on my balcony. One suggestion for the hotel would be to see if it could sound-proof the rooms better. I sleep with earplugs and they couldn 't drown out the very animated rooster outside that began crowing at the crack of dawn and didn't stop. The hotel staff were super nice, and at the hotel I obtained the contact information for my excelllent bird guide, Marcelo Arias. He took me bitd watching for the afternoon and we saw toucans, motmots, quetzal, and lots of tanagers-a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 8 June 2013

You've just shown up in the birdwatcher's paradise of Mindo. There are half a dozen or more places to stay, but you spotted Dragonfly Inn just as you entered town. Well, you've found the right place, and it's well worth the stay.

Dragonfly Inn rooms are cozy, clean, and well equipped. Ask for a room overlooking the river for some relaxing sounds to lull you to sleep. Or a room with a balcony so you can relax in the hammock.

Wifi is good downstairs but it doesn't reach to the upstairs rooms. The service is fast and attentive, and breakfasts are generous and good. The coffee is excellent too.

Located on the left-hand side of the street just as you enter Mindo, the location is an excellent one. Mindo is so small, you can walk to most any part of the town within 10 or 15 minutes.

Because Mindo is often rainy and wet, the Dragonfly Inn was a nice change from other places I have stayed here. Some places smell of mildew and feel damp all around. The Dragonfly Inn is dry and clean. Definitely a great place to stay and to eat, making your stay in the know convenient and easy.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We just spent two nights at the Dragonfly Inn and it was absolutely wonderful in every way!

The hotel is clean and well presented and a pleasure to stay in. When we booked we were given all the information that we would need to get to Mindo and lots of helpful advice.

On arrival we were offered two different rooms, one with a double bed and bunk beds and one with a double bed but also two balconies, this was the room we opted for. It was stunning. We had one balcony that overlooked the main road with a hammock (I say main room - it is literally a tiny town so it is not really a main road as you may picture it and more a good vantage point to people watch in the day and chill at night). The second balcony had a hammock swing and was overlooking the river that babbles along next to the Inn.

The bed was comfortable with lovely duvets and two pillows each, the shower hot and massive and the room was spacious and comfortable.

The whole hotel is built in a lovely wood and is so beautiful.

In the area that leads to the rooms you are not permitted to wear shoes which gives the added bonus of not only keeping the floors stunning but also keeping it clean enough to walk around bare footed (for anyone who has read my reviews you will know this is a real phenomenon for me as I am a clean freak)!!!

The first night we ate in the hotel and I had lovely fajitas and my boyfriend had the chicken sandwich with fries. Both were lovely, especially my fajitas which were spot on. I even had a side of mash potatoes because I love them! They were unnecessary in terms of how much food we had but lovely! On the second night I had pepper steak and mash and my boyfriend had the chicken and chips both of which were cooked to perfection and lovely.

Whilst there I also had the carrot cake - amazing!!! We also had drinks, coffee and hot chocolate which were all great.

Breakfast is also lovely, we had tortilla the first day and boiled eggs the next, mine hard boiled and my boyfriends soft boiled. Both were lovely.

The hotel also helped us organise tours, we went zip wiring the first day (see separate review) and tubing the second day (again see separate review). The tour company for the tubing were recommended by the hotel and they were wonderful.

The other reviews are right in that the hotel regularly tops up the hummingbird feeders so you can sit and watch them to your hearts content, there are many varieties and they are beautiful.

The wifi if sporadic but that is to be expected in the mountains and overall it works fine.

The staff are fantastic and work so hard, they make you feel welcome and like a friend rather than a guest. They are really wonderful and hard working.

Basically if you go to Mindo stay at the Dragonfly Inn!!!

Room Tip: Room 5 is great with 2 balconies but all rooms are lovely!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beau2010
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the inn for a couple of days in March. I love the design of the place... lots of wood, lots of space, big windows. Our room was super cute and clean with a nice bathroom and a great view on a river and a papaya tree. The little stream is pretty loud but in a good way. There was a balcony with a hammock or you can hang outside on their little terrace admiring birds that come to the feeders. Quite a spectacle!
The lady who helped us, named Matilde, was very friendly and helpful. She had lots of patience for us and our questions about the area. We were really impressed by her hard work and dedication.
Another thing that impressed me was their selection of movies. There is a living room upstairs and you can pick a movie for yourself out of a few dozens. I actually found one of my favorite movies ever "After the wedding" - a Danish movie which I love love love... but it definitely is not a mainstream movie. I was nicely surprised to see it in their collection.
We ended up spending two lovely quiet days there before going back to the craziness of Quito

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tigerlily68
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Alexandra, the owner's sister, picked us up at the airport and drove us to this magical place. The pictures by the previous reviewer are very accurate; beautiful wood in the construction, snug rooms, very clean, on basically a one-road town. A huge tree between the hotel and the stream is filled with hummingbirds. The staff fills several feeders about every 4 hours so the entertainment is endless. Very nice people. The staff arranged our guide for a long walk to see the birds in the mountain. We saw quetzals!
We went to the butterfly farm on our second days, which was also great, very peaceful.
Alexandra drove us to Quito on the third day, and took us through Mitad del Mundo on our way. She went way above and beyond, both as a guide and as an ambassador of her country.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

My partner and I stayed here for three nights in early February. The service, food, ambience and price were excellent. We had some trouble getting an internet connection in the main dining room but staff were most helpful in assisting us. The only drawback of the Inn was its location on the main street. Our room was at the front and we experienced considerable outside noise on our first night there. On our second night, we had to ask the people next door to stop talking after 11pm because we could hear almost every word they said. If you want peace and quiet, you probably need to look for a place outside town or at least off the main street.

We hooked up with Alex, who runs a travel agency directly opposite the Inn. He not only was an excellent birding guide ($45 for a half day) but also arranged several other events for us during our stay. Would highly recommend him.

Would recommend the El Quetzal chocolate factory tour, the Mindo Lago frog concert, La Roulotte restaurant (2 km. out of town on road to butterfly farm), Mindo Canopy Adventure (for ziplining) and Caskaffesu restaurant (for coffee and food).

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back facing the river, not on the main street or side street.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2013

They picked us up in Quito and stopped with us at Tulipe on the way and helped translate (don't skip Tulipe). The inn is right by the river and there are dozens of hummingbirds that fly right up to the balconies. We stayed there two nights and had all our meals there. Great food and service! I would definitely stay there again, if we ever get the opportunity.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends