Dragonfly Inn B&B
US$40
US$67
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsthe riverthe ownerin townhammock chairsstreet noisewooden buildingrooms are cleanzip liningthe main streetbird watchinghummingbird feedersenjoyed our staydouble bedlight sleeperan excellent hostgreat place to staystayed one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My family and I stayed here recently and overall were very pleased with our experience. There were 7 of us traveling altogether--my aunt and uncle and there two kids, my husband and I, and my adult brother. We originally booked two rooms, a triple and a quadruple, with prices paid per person.

The hotel has two floors with lodging, with only three rooms on the top floor, which have a shared sitting room. Both our rooms were located on the top floor, and there was a third, empty room. We originally were given one room with room with a double bed and a bunk bed, and one room with a double bed and a twin bed situated at its feet. Because the third room on our floor was empty, the hotel allowed us to utilize it for no additional charge, which was really great and allowed us to enjoy a much more comfortable stay. While the rooms are very nice, they are quite small, and I only recommend sharing with your spouse / kids. The third room had two twin beds, and was most suited for sharing.

The rooms themselves were very clean and simple. The bathrooms were fairly clean, but by no means glamorous, and our bathroom shared a wall with the bathroom next door to us, and because the wall did not extend entirely to the ceiling, there was some awkwardness with shared bathroom noises. There also is no air conditioning, which is a bit problematic for some of the rooms as you have to leave the windows open, and there are noise issues (see below).

The room I stayed in (with a double bed and small twin bed), faced the back of the hotel and offered the most privacy. It did not have a balcony, but it had views of the river. The other two rooms on our floor faced the streets and had two small balconies. Unfortunately, because they faced the street, those rooms were exposed to a lot of street noises. We stayed at the hotel on a Friday and Saturday night, and both nights there were very loud street parties which kept up my family who stayed in the street-view rooms. Friday night was worse, as the party was very loud (even though it was located far down the street) and went on until almost 5am. As a result of the all-night party, my aunt and two young cousins were unable to wake up in time for our 7am birding trip. There was another party Saturday night, which was right next door to the hotel. We spoke to the hotel about our concern about the noise, and they spoke to the party organizers. Fortunately for us, that party ended earlier, although it's unclear whether this was a result of our hotel's request to keep the noise down, or because a fight broke out, ending the party. I don't recommend staying in the street front rooms, especially if you are trying to do an early morning bird watching tip. Or if you end up with one of these rooms, talk to management beforehand to find out if there are any planned street parties that will interfere with your trip.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Dragonfly, but ask that the hotel either take a more proactive role in ensuring a peaceful, quiet stay, or take steps to help offset the noise--either discounting the noisier rooms, installing air conditioning in those rooms so that the windows can remain shut, or coordinating better with the locals in handling the noise. Other than that, we had a very pleasant stay at the Dragonfly Inn.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in April and could not have been happier with the room (#6) which is facing the river and has a balcony with a hammock. We were content just having a drink on the balcony on our second night and taking in the view. The food at the restaurant was very good and they offered a great breakfast with homemade juice. The staff was very friendly and incredibly helpful. We had an emergency while we were there (the ONE ATM in town does not accept international ATM cards and we were left almost without any cash since everything in town is cash only. The bank in the next town doesn't work either so make sure to take out cash before coming to Mindo!!), and they were extremely accommodating and got on the phone with the owner who offered to give us cash in exchange for a PayPal deposit. We definitely recommend this hotel for the location, the lovely rooms and views, and the helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for room #6 ;-) Balcony with view of river
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Beautiful clean hotel right in town and on the river. Terrific staff, very comfortable. A little noisy because it is right on the street. Food in the restaurant was good and offered delicious vegetarian options. We had actually planned on staying elsewhere, but that place didn't work out and we happened upon this place and couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed in a lovely room (Room 6) that had a balcony overlooking the river. We could sit for hours and just watch all the beautiful hummingbirds coming to the feeders. Comfy beds and the lulling sound of the river made for very good sleeps. The hardwood in the rooms was beautiful but made the rooms a little dark. I would suggest some better lighting to make the rooms perfect! I found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the food in the restaurant was delicious. The Dragonfly Inn helped me book a reasonably priced transfer from Quito that was very good and when in Mindo they suggested a bird watching guide, Marcelo, and I had an excellent morning out with him seeing all kinds of birds....Cock of the Rock, Antpitta, tanagers and toucans. Very happy with my stay at the Dragonfly Inn!

Room Tip: Room # 6 was lovely...away from the street, overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank next_holiday_dream
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We spent 2 nights here recently. The pluses - the hotel is conveniently located and we enjoyed our panfried trout dinner (served with crisp vegetables and pretty good french fries) at the restaurant. Breakfast was fine as well. The bed was fairly comfortable, and we appreciated the view of the river and all the hummingbirds. The negatives - the bathroom was really dark and the staff weren't particularly friendly. I don't think that the woman who checked us in even smiled once. We assume that we were not supposed to drink the water in the room or put paper in the toilet. The staff certainly never said anything, and there was nothing posted. We had to buy a bottle of water to take to our room. I had had very positive communication with the owners, but didn't meet them when we were there, so possibly our experience would have been different if they had been onsite. Overall, for the price and location, it was a good place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple