Dragonfly Inn B&B
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
    • Room Service
    All reviewsthe riverthe ownerin townhammock chairsstreet noisewooden buildingrooms are cleanzip liningthe main streetbird watchinghummingbird feedersenjoyed our staydouble bedlight sleeperan excellent hostgreat place to staystayed one night
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 6 November 2010

My husband and I had a wedding dinner for over 20 people last month at the Dragonfly Inn. Lorena and Todd were so caring, aware, and skilled, that it was far beyond our wildest hopes. The dinner was incredibly delicious and special (and affordable), the flowers were beautiful, and perfect service from the staff.

I have stayed at this oasis several times and was excited to have our celebration there--with friends, my aunt and uncle, and my father. Everyone I have ever brought has LOVED their experience there. This latest weekend was certainly was everything we would have wanted. I was injured at the time, so spent the whole weekend at the hostel, while most folks were off hiking and zip-lining. I felt so relaxed and welcome, and every guest reported feeling the same way.

The beds are the most comfortable ones I have ever slept on in Ecuador, the food is incredible, and the atmosphere is welcoming--relaxing and fun. The owners truly care about every aspect of your experience. Thank you and I cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank EcutravelerQuito
    Reviewed 24 October 2010

Midway through a hectic business trip, two colleagues and I needed a respite from the endless chain of Latin American cities we were visiting. We found it in Mindo and at the Dragonfly Inn. It was a wonderful opportunity to be close to nature in the context of a small Ecuadorian town, less than two hours from Quito. I feel like I had a cultural and natural experience all at the same time. The owners, Todd and Lorena, were completely attentive, helpful and fun! My room was lovely, and I wish I could fall asleep to the sound of the river again tonight instead of city traffic!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
    1  Thank RinglingCollAmy
    Reviewed 12 October 2010

I was going to write a glowing review of the Dragonfly Inn but a recent review says it all. I'd like to emphasize the babbling stream which runs along the north side of the hotel which our room faced and provided a very relaxing background noise that blocked out street noise. Apparently Mindo gets pretty busy on weekends but we stayed there during the week and there was no appreciable street noise except for the dogs, which normally seem to sleep either in the street or on the sidewalks, chasing motorcycles in the evening. Back to my title, the owners were gone while we stayed there but the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We had a 6:00 a.m. birdwatching tour and they even provided us with a late breakfast when we returned at 10:00 and when we left helped arrange a transfer to Quito. The hotel food was good as was the pizza at the El Patio across the street. In fact the pizza at the El Patio was really good. The Dragonfly only has WiFi connection but there are a couple of internet cafes in town that are cheap.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank azjohnm
    Reviewed 10 October 2010

The Dragonfly Inn is the best option for travelers looking for affordable yet lovely accomodations. Situated right on main street, this hostel offers all of the convenience of being only a stones throw away from most of the enticing tourist options Mindo has to offer. For those who seek quiet and tranquility, this should not be a deterent. The Dragonfly Inn is adjacent to a babeling brook that blocks out ambient noise while providing a soothing sound track for sipping exotic cocktails and watching the world go by.

The building is constructed out of brick and hard woods. The architecture is rustic and elegant simultaneously, with features like highly polished former trees reincarnated as structural support beams. The main floor of the hostel is a restaurant where guests can enjoy a variety of comfort food while enjoying the company of fellow travelers spanning a wide variety of nationalities and walks of life. Directly off of the dining room is a large porch that faces the river. Lined with patio furniture, this sitting area is ideal for losing yourself in a good book or conversation. The rest of the hostel is divided into two floors with habiations that accompany a varitey of traveling needs, from romanitic rooms for two to bunkbeds. And, most all rooms feature their own mini-balcony and chair hammock.

The service at the Dragonfly Inn is excellent. It is owned by an energetic young couple who have familial ties to the community. The better half of this operation is trained in the culinary arts and has invested a significant amount of time in creating a menu that offers family friendly fair at a good price, while making sure that there are still some epicurian options. The owners of the hostel are generally available and work side by side with their loyal staff to make sure that all guests are well taken care of. During my stay, the staff graciously helped me make reservations for different day trips without a moments hesitation. The owners of the hostel are both bilingual, which eliminated any uncomfortable miscommunications or logistical problems. I felt welcomed and taken care of without being fussed over. There is an easy relaxed atmosphere of belonging that resonates within the walls of this hostel, which has everything to do with the high quality of service. If you choose to spend time at the Dragonfly Inn, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
    2  Thank c81heather
    Reviewed 17 August 2010

i traveled to ecuador in july to spend time with my 23 year old son, who was studying just outside of quito for two months this summer. the trip was a spontaneous event, with my making plans just six weeks ahead of time. i discovered the dragonfly inn here - wrote the owner a couple of times to request room #7, since it was highly rated by fellow reviewers. the place is lovely - even if it is RIGHT on the busy main street that runs through tiny mindo. room no. 7 is on the backside of the three story building - small, but with high vaulted ceilings and a large (but inadequately screened) window... clean, comfortable with lovely wooden walls and located right next to the rushing river, which makes sleeping with open windows very nice. window screens in our bedroom were all knocked loose from their frames, but thankfully not many insects made it into bother us. a stern friend of the owners was running the place in their absence; she was civil enough during the day, but at night came up several times to our room on the third floor, where we were the only ones staying on that level for two nights, very loudly shushed us and told us to turn down the tv. the dvd's that were provided for guest viewing are all black market ones, and the sound was iffy to operate. the visits from her began at 9pm, an hour before "quiet time", in spite of our keeping the volume down very low. she locked up the main room of the building (front desk, restaurant) at 9pm, where we had left our water bottle, forcing us to drink from the bathroom sink water. other than this small problem with a grumpy helper, we were pleased with our stay there. the beds are extremely comfortable, and since everyone is asked to remove their shoes before going up the stairs to the upper levels, the floors are quite clean and free of dirt. we didn't eat lunch or dinner in the inn's restaurant, but breakfast was ample and nice. also, we were able to leave our luggage behind the desk after checking out our last day in mindo, since our bus back to quito didn't leave until 2pm.

• Stayed: July 2010