“where else can you sleep in the trees!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hosteria El Carmelo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mindo
Hosteria El Carmelo
Ranked #22 of 45 Speciality Lodging in Mindo
GreenLeadersGold level
Encinitas, California, United States
“where else can you sleep in the trees!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed in one of the tree-house lodges. So amazing! Every night I was lulled to sleep by the sound of frogs and crickets and every morning I woke up to the sound of birds in the branches outside my windows. The food was delicious and they accommodated my vegan diet. El Carmelo is situated outside of town and close to the road that takes you up to hiking trails, the tarabita, birdwatching and ziplining. While I stayed there I traveled everywhere by foot. El Carmelo is far enough from town to give you peace and quiet, but close enough to walk when you want to . It is an absolutely beautiful location, the gardens are lush and well maintained with hummingbird feeders attracting a variety of hummingbirds. I counted at least 3 different swimming pools. I definitely recommend staying here!

Room Tip: treehouse rooms offer a unique experience and have outdoor patios to enjoy views of the landscape be...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DANIELA L, Director de Recepción at Hosteria El Carmelo, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear customer:

It was a pleasure to us to serve you and we are glad to know that the vegan menú that we prepared was of your joy.

We hope to have you here any time that you like, and we want to thank you for the review, as you colud see, we are working hard on having our facilities in good conditions for clients like you, that can appreciate what Mindo and El Carmelo means.

Sincerely yours,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

El Carmelo is perfectly situated. It's about 1km from the small town of Mindo so it's possible just to walk in and enjoy the town's sights. It's great to do a package at El Carmelo. We enjoyed the tubing, though it was quite choppy (but fun) and the tour around the place, seeing the butterfly house and other attractions. It's a large place so you can walk down to the river or just around and spot birds. They do though have 2 main bird feeders - one attracting Toucans, the other hummingbirds, and these were really the highlight for us.

There are swimming pools there but we didn't end up using them, partly because there were often groups in. The groups weren't generally a problem though.

We stayed in a tree house, which was fun. As other people say, it does sway but just when you're moving about and we never felt it sway at night. As with all Mindo accommodation it is fairly basic, so it really was just a room and a basic bathroom, which we felt was not 100% clean but generally ok. Due to the region, there are lots of bugs about so pack your insect repellent!

The restaurant has more of a canteen feel to it, with a TV playing and the food was bit greasy at times.

We enjoyed our stay though and would recommend it for the situation and bird life.

Room Tip: We'd recommend a room with a Jacuzzi, because these are bigger and roomier then the other rooms...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Adams, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I took a group of 37 people here in Feb 2012. It is a little off the beaten path but well worth the travel. The food was excellent, most in our group were vegetarian and they went way out of their way to accomadate our group. The service was excellent from the time we arrived to when we left. If we asked for a tour or activity to be arranged for our group it was taken care of without any problems. All the activities were great at the hotel. Would also reccomend going into town to tour the chocolate factory. Like others have mentioned only a couple staff spoke english but it was not a problem for our group as they were always around to answer any questions. Would love to go back.

Room Tip: The tree houses were great.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

I stayed at El Carmelo for 3 nights and paid for the full package inc food and activities. This was the best way to visit this hotel. The property is beautiful with 3 swimming pools and 2 hot pools. I stayed in a tree house which was a lot of fun. I agree with other reviewers that it does shake but it didn't fall down!

The food was AMAZING. The trout was the best thing I ate in Ecuador (off the a la carte menu) and the shrimp with rice was delicious.

The place was empty for the first two nights which was romantic but a little creepy. Then on the last night approx 50 teenagers showed up and tore the place up. I might be worth asking if there is a group there while you're there.

The activities were great. Ziplining was the best. Tubing and bird watching were fun. The waterfall was beautiful but I did not like the 4 hour walk along the road to get there and back. I would have preferred to drive there and spend more time at the water fall and less time walking there. There was lots of flexibility with the activities which made the trip relaxing.

Very few of the staff spoke English and the explanations on ziplining and white water tubing were completely in Spanish.

Pretty good place to stay. Not sure why it was so empty.

Room Tip: Tree house was AMAZING with great views from in bed!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
New York Mills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

I really don't know why people are making these comments about the hotel, but my experience was totally different!!!!!

As CF0087, I went with my boyfriend on august's holidays,also, we stayed at the tree house with jacuzzi... totally amazing, (imagine that... a tree with a cabin there and a jacuzzi at the bathroom with a espectacular view of the Mindo river and the zone..... awasome isn'it?).

Well, we took a package with meals and activities included. Let me tell you that the food is spectacular and the ziplines, tubing, waterfalls, etc etc.. are awasome as well!!!!

The trout and the palmito are the typical food in Mindo, so I decided to try the CRIOLLA TROUT and my boyfriend the palmito civiche( I don't remember if it's well written) but I recommed you.

the service of all the staff is friendly and professional specially the guides. My boyfriend and I feel as heaven there... so why don't you go there and take a try of all the wonderfull things that el Carmelo offers..

Regards,

Loren and Mark

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I wasn't sure until I began to talk to one of the staff who has a serious face I mean who doesn't know how to smile. But just his face he was very nice and wanted to help us how to enjoy Mindo. I and my wife stayed at the room on the tree which moves a little. That was very romantic feeling like "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" or "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". As we read a couple of negative opinions here, we made the reservation one night there and the following day in another hosteria which is Casa Divina but we would not have moved if we haven't paid any deposit to another. We liked El carmelo very much and definitely we will stay again if we go to Mindo again. I asked the staff not to be afraid even though they meet any guests who speak English only (I speak Spanish a little) but try to understand what the guests want. As we are very satisfied with El Carmelo, I promised to write my opinion here.

Room Tip: Ask a room on the tree.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JHL600
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

El Carmelo was a chance find really. Originally we had thought of staying in another one called Arasha, however, the price was not within our reach. Here for a whole package that included Canopy travelling, Tubbing, Butterfly observation, Walks around the land, use of installations and 3 full meals, was superb! we only stayed for 2 days and one night, but we felt that the tie was well spent and the activities suited us perfectly well! attention was great, service impeccable, we even player a game of VolleyBall with the staff! Food was lovely, and well made with a choice for all palates but of national Ecuadorian dishes. Overall i cant find fault with the place. Just remember that it is mor economical to book it if you want to do all the extreme sports and enjoy the walks and activities. Otherwise is better to book just for the room, without activities.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family