“Do the full tour!”

and up
Mindo's Top Attractions Pass
Ranked #1 of 12 Outdoor Activities in Mindo
More attraction details
Owner description: Mindo Canopy Adventures The best, safest and the origianal canopy tour in Mindo
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Absolutely incredible experience! The two guides are very reassuring and friendly. They didn't speak English but the gestures are universal. Felt very safe and worth the stunning views.

2  Thank Sona P

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I had this idea that zip lining was a good way to view the forest. Not especially. It's adventure entertainment; any sight seeing is secondary. The runs are too fast and short for sight seeing (though if you did it a lot, the novelty of the zip lining would probably wear off and you would be able to focus more on the scenery). This is not a criticism of zip lining - I just had no idea what zip lining was about and don't want others to have the same misconception.

That out of the way, it's fun for ages 6 and up and appears safe. There were about 10 lines, though we did the basic 3-line/run package (~$10/person). Younger kids ride with a guide. The guides adjust all your gear, clip you in at the start, and slow you down at the end of the run, so there's nothing for you to screw up. They have double cables and a backup leash, auto-locking carabiners, Petzel harnesses in good condition - the same gear as my local climbing gym. Plus helmets and heavy gloves. The towers carrying the cables are anchored in the ground and back to trees, and look very stable.

The two problems I saw were 1) they tell you not to put your hand in front of the pulleys (because it could get caught in the pulley or crushed between the pulley and the break at the end of the line). But that didn't stop people in my group from doing it. They should develop some idiot-proof fix for this. 2) You have to carry two heavy awkward pulleys from one line to the next. Several people got hit in the shins by the swinging pulleys. This may not have been a problem when there was only a single cable per run. You should clip the second pulley right on to your harness between runs.

For the zip line enthusiasts out there, others who had done zip lining before said this was nothing exceptional.

~$10 taxi ride from town

Reviewed 22 June 2014

What a great way to spend an hour, extremely colourful, interesting and a worthy cause. They even give you instruction on how to handle the butterflies carefully.

1  Thank Nigel M
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Brilliant fun. The closest I've come to flying, and over magnificent rainforest canopy.
Helpful and encouraging guides who paid good attention to client safety.
A very well organised and efficient outfit.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My boyfriend and I had a blast and will remember this experience forever! It was a beautiful, sunny day, and I suggest you go in the morning, like we did, as it seems to get overcast and rainy in Mindo the second half of the day. There were 12 of us in our group - we were definitely the oldest at 47 and 57 (but still in decent shape!). I couldn't believe how inexpensive it was - 10 lines and walking (er...more like short uphill hikes...in between each line) that took over an hour. We felt like we were able to conquer (at least a little!) our fear of heights. It was simply incredible, and you just have to experience it for yourself! The guides were knowledgeable, helpful, and patient - I fully trusted them. The downside is that they need to warn you about the TIRESOME walking/hiking in-between each line. It was exhausting at times - walking to the next line - with about 15 pounds of gear hanging between your legs that you need to hang on to. Some of the young 'uns were clearly having a difficult time, too. So just be prepared for that...it's definitely worth the trekking if you're up for it!

1  Thank Veronica122