“Gorgeous and Relaxing Stay in the Cloud Forest”

and 1 more site!
El Abrazo del Arbol
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mindo
GreenLeadersGold level
Hudson, Michigan
“Gorgeous and Relaxing Stay in the Cloud Forest”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

El Abrazo del Arbol is at the very end of a long dirt road...about 20 minutes' ride. Our guide had to drive through 5 flowing, rocky "rivers" to get there! We were fine with that, as we were prepared for a little adventure and, after all, you're no longer in the city when you're in the heart of the cloud forest! Make sure your driver is willing to go down this road and has a vehicle that can handle it! The property and the inn itself are very beautiful and we felt that we really were hidden in a gorgeous, natural setting. The common area and rooms are updated, but with a rustic flair that goes along with the setting. The food was absolutely amazing, and I wish I could remember the young chef's name. He took pride in his (what I would consider) gourmet dishes, and it was probably the best food we had the entire 10 days we were in Ecuador! Unfortunately, we are still learning Spanish and he was the only staff there to take care of everything for us, and he knew little English, so it was sometimes difficult to communicate our needs to him. He tried very hard and his service was impeccable, nonetheless.
The rooms were a bit small, and there was no room for our large suitcases, except on the floor, on either side of our bed, which took up every inch of floor space between the bed and the wall. Also, there was a mosquito net around the bed. We immediately knew that it was to protect us from the flies and moths that are all around, especially at night. I expected that we had to live with these creatures, as we chose to stay in THEIR environment, but I wasn't prepared to see, out of the blue, a giant cockroach-like bug INSIDE of our mosquito net! It wasn't the inn's fault, but I couldn't shake the creepy-crawly feeling that I got after seeing that critter in bed with us (thankfully my boyfriend got up and killed it - then just laughed at me). It would be nice if screens were on the windows, as the rooms get stuffy, but if you open the windows, then anything can (and does!) fly into the room. Also, having ceiling fans in the rooms would help tremendously, too. Despite the comfortable bed, it was just too stuffy for us to get a comfortable night's sleep.
The last little complaint I have was about the wine prices. I was so thankful that there was good food and drink available to us, as going back to town is not convenient, just to get a meal. Believe me, you want to eat at the inn - it's just so good and you can relax and enjoy the surroundings. Remember, you have to pay for each meal you opt to have - which is definitely reasonably-priced and worth every penny! However, they don't have prices on the many bottles of wine they have available. My bad for not asking and making sure I was willing to pay the price before opening a bottle! During our 3-day stay, I opened a bottle of white wine and a bottle of red wine (you have to pay for the entire bottle, but they will put it back in the fridge for you to have another time if you don't finish the bottle). When we settled our bill, we found that the white wine was $25 -- and the red was $45! We were prepared to pay the $25 - a little pricey, but not a big deal. But the $45 bottle of red was a not-so-welcome surprise! We thought it was ridiculous, and that the prices should be advertised if they are going to charge that much! I should have drank the beer, like my boyfriend did - MUCH less expensive!
Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and it was nice to come back to the inn after a morning of zip lining and touring the chocolate factory...to be greeted to a gourmet lunch of the most delicious trout I ever tasted; a glass of wine; playing chess; mingling a bit with the other guests; taking in all the beautiful surroundings; and then ending the day with another gourmet feast! If we're in Mindo again, we'll still consider staying here and to know better than to drink the wine without asking the price first!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Veronica122

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have been to El Abrazo del Arbol twice now, once for a quiet weekend with friends and once with a group of students. Both times the staff went out of their way to be accommodating and kind. This family run establishment in the heart of the cloud forest will give you a beautiful getaway but keep you close to the charms of Mindo.
The owners also went out of their way to return an article of clothing that I left behind, they brought it all the way to Quito to personally deliver it to me - what better level of care could a person ask for!?
Not to mention the food is some of the best in Ecuador!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 464SarahWatson
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I've been a couple of times in El Abrazo del Arbol and I would definitely go once again. Its just a beautiful place with excellent service and amazing food. Hummingbirds, forests, good weather and the lovely views make this place one that I would always recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I spent 3 days there. It is a really nice place, very beautiful, nice food (even if the choice is rather limited). The location is extremely beatiful but there is only one short trail to the river. There is another trail, a long one but it is not marked and you cannot go there on your own. We had a wonderful guide in the person of a little boy from a nearby ranch.
Another problem is sleep quality. The rooms are nice even if very small, there is no room for a closet or any other storage place for your luggage. For me, it really did not matter. The view from the room was breathtaking.
What I did not like was the fact that I could hear everything that was happening in the house, including everything other guests said and did. Otherwise it is a very beautiful place and a swimming pool is quite nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maria_the_Snorkeler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Mindo is a tiny little town in the depths of the Andean Jungle, if you are going to experience tranquil surrounds with just the noise of the forest and enjoy the best food in town, stay at Abrazo. You wake up to the drum of the hummingbirds and look out onto views of great waterfalls tumbling over the steep mountainous karsts.

We opted for breakfast and dinner and we were really pleased because the food in town isn't amazing, and Nancy the Chef at Abrazo cooks generous tasty meals with delicious desserts!

The lodge is eco style, very clean and funky with open air decking for chilling with a beverage. Apparently there was a wild guinea pig in the garden but we never saw him roaming.

Mauricio (owner) speaks great English and could advise when it came to booking trips and excursions.

Really recommend going to Quetzal (Chocolate factory/café) for a brownie and experiencing Tubing, such a rush(although steer clear if you have a nervous disposition!). Also I recommend the zip lining $20 for viewing Mindo in style! Very safe and fun.

If you arrive by bus remember you need to get another taxi to get to Abrazo (7kms from the centre) so make sure you have $7.

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Abrazo, really felt at one with nature, such a beautiful location, could not fault this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Baggers86
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

love seing and listening the hummingbirds in the morning, and the proximity to the river, the weather is warm and so is the hospitality staff. The price is good for what you get! This is a great deal! recomended!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed at El Abrazo del Arbol just for a weekend, i wish i could stay more. Love the place, excellent food, and service. Its located away from the craziness, but its not far from town, you could walk or bike to town. The hotel is surrounded by nature, there is a river within the property a beautiful swimming pool with natural river water, and a island type bungalow/bar. The hotel service was excellent, everyone there was very nice and caring.
I´ve stayed in different hotels in Mindo, and i can say this is my favorite one. Perfect for a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mindo
Casa Divina Lodge
#1 of 1 in Pacto
Sachatamia Lodge
Sachatamia Lodge
#2 of 19 in Mindo

Been to El Abrazo del Arbol? Share your experiences!