“My Favorite Place in Ecuador”

Mindo Casa de Piedra
Ranked #2 of 48 Speciality Lodging in Mindo
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have stayed three times at La Casa de Piedra and I love it. I first came with a large group of friends, 8 of us total. We stayed in the main house closest to the dining room and pool. I stayed on the top floor, in a super cute room looking out over orange trees. We ate a few times at the restaurant and all the food was delicious. I recommend the sandwiches, and the desserts, the desserts are incredible. Breakfast is always freshly made when you come in and includes bread, fresh jam, fresh juice, eggs, and hot fresh coffee.
The pool is beautiful and refreshing during the hot, clear mornings in Mindo and the grounds and beautifully landscaped with fruit trees and a little stream. Also, the showers are always HOT! During our most recent trip we stayed in the small cabin just over the stream. I loved having our own separate place.
The owners are wonderful and welcoming and will help you with everything you need. Sara, Henry, and Mariella are just overwhelmingly lovely people, which of course makes the beautiful setting and the food even better. I always get my tickets for whatever Mindo adventure I am going on in advance at the front desk which makes it easy to pay for everything together at the end.
My daughter was with me during all of my visits, I highly recommend this hostal for families as well as others.

Room Tip: I would suggest the top floor if you are a light sleeper as you can hear those above you a bit when...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Everything was going ok until a family with noisy babies were in the room next to us. Only planks separate the wall so we can hear everything. The place smelled moldy and worst of all bugs ate us up the second night. The breakfast is sub par. Mindo is so small that it is hard to find a hostel that is in a "bad" location... So location is kind of irrelevant. No wifi in the rooms, only the main part. Chickens run rampant and one practically attacked me!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Casa de Piedra was a beautiful escape located just 3 minutes walking from the central street. The grounds are filled with fruit trees, and a little creek runs through the property. You can wake up to birds chirping and fall asleep to the sounds of the creek, frogs, and crickets.

The rooms were adorable and rustic, like staying in a log cabin, but with modern amenities. They even have billiards, foosball, movies, and a pool to spend your free time in Mindo. Breakfast included was tasty and fresh, with bakery bread, coffee, and juice,and the owner even by request made me a fruit salad with yogurt and granola instead of eggs one morning.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are awesome! We saw the private cabin across the river, which was beautiful but more...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I enjoyed my time at Casa de Piedra but would stay elsewhere if I return to Mindo. The owner was extremely pushy and didn't skip a beat in trying to sell us hugely overpriced hot chocolate, cocktails, tours, concerts, guides and taxes. He wanted us to pay him to listen to the frogs crocking at sunset. In the two days we were there, he wouldn't leave us be. Though we arrived in the pouring rain, instead of taking us to the room we'd booked, he tried to sell us a private cabin at the edge of the property for twice the cost. When we were paying the bill as it had been advertized on his website and tripadvisor, he said disparagingly "someone online must have given you a discount." Not for a moment did he stop trying to make us feel like cheapskates who weren't spending enough. A very unpleasant person to be around. On the other hand, the two ladies who worked there were lovely, the breakfast was solid and the room was very cozy. The hostel is nice, but it's not worth staying there if the owner thinks you're someone he can squeeze for cash – cause he will try and he will try with a great deal of determination. There are tons of other nice places in town - all of which had availability when I was there. Casa de Piedra is also off the beaten path - especially if its raining - which they dont tell you on their website. Stay there if you’re in a pinch but not if you have other options.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite small.
Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evan P
Reviewed 19 February 2014

A beautiful, reasonably-priced place to stay in Mindo. Separate cabins set in a lovely garden. A quiet and relaxing place that's only a 3-minute walk to the main street of town, but separated from the hustle and bustle by the small, but surprisingly turbulent Rio Mindo. Serves a delicious breakfast. Co-owner speaks excellent English. Everyone is very helpful. The rooms are small, but simply and stylishly decorated. Most bathrooms are shared. Overall, a great place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jimhub
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Nice and clean place where the host tries hard to accommodate you... Breakfast is delicious and now they are even serving snacks.. very close to the chocolate factory.. Host is bilingual and helps you win booking other tours... a good place in the heart of Mindo.. just one thing would make this place even better if the WiFi signal could be in each room rather than just the main dining hall and better location of bulbs in the bathroom.... otherwise, great.. get daily maid service and classical music with breakfast!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Even if Lonelyplanet advice us another one hostal in Mindo, After visiting both and for few dollars more, we didn't hesitate to choose Casa de Piedra, Great garden, great views. Peaceful !
Rooms are cleans and well kept !
We were 6 backpackers and during these 3 days we were felt in a piece of heaven.
Staff is friendly,helpful with smile !

Room Tip: try to get first floor rooms, i get this one and i like it ( it's brighter )
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends