“Septimo Paraiso: A birdwatcher's paradise!”

Hosteria Septimo Paraiso
Ranked #3 of 19 Mindo B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“Septimo Paraiso: A birdwatcher's paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Septimo Paraiso near Mindo Ecuador may not be a hotel for everyone, but if you are a birdwatcher interested in birding the Mindo area - which is fantastic for birds - then this birding lodge is THE place to stay! As a bird tour leader for the past 25 years, and now owner of my own company Avian Journeys, I have stayed at many lodges in Ecuador, and other countries in Central and South America, and I have never felt more at home than at Septimo Paraiso. The lodge is situated in a beautiful forested valley, with fabulous birding right outside the front door! The lodge itself is a large wood structure - very eco-friendly constructed with recycled materials - with several separate bedrooms, each with it's own bathroom. It is perfect for a tour group, but also excellent for the individual traveler. The owner, Anna Lucia, personally makes everyone feel at home - and in fact it is like staying in her home! The food is excellent - lots of delicious home made recipes. Most important, they are VERY accommodating to the birding group, with flexible dining times (especially early breakfast). There is an excellent trail system on the property, and it is very well-situated for visits to many of the Mindo area birding locations, including Angel Paz, Milpe, Rio Silanche, and Tandayapa. I have stayed at several of the other lodges in the Mindo area, and I would highly recommend Septimo Paraiso as the place to stay.

Room Tip: Room number 10 has a mall balcony from which one can sometimes see Black-and-white Owl!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Arlington, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

The birdwatching on the grounds is wonderful; however, the bed and bedding in my room were very damp and stank of mildew. The staff needs to pay better attention to keeping ahead of the mold, airing the rooms and drying the linens.

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank CMEArlington_VA
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
I apologies for the inconvenience you had and that our service was not up to our usual standard. I am investigating the matter further and I will make sure it will not happened again. We have several dehumidifiers at the lodge that helps us maintain the humidity of the cloud forest out of the rooms; these machines absorb the excess humidity of the air and the linens. However during the rainy season it is a very hard task to achieve.
I must thank you for your comment because it makes us correct our mistakes and keep a high quality of service.
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Our Moon book dont have this hotel, but a taxi driver recomend this hotel to us... and for us was a really paradise (paraiso), !! is a place for relax, our room was great, confortable, hot water, the food is great, have a big pool (we dont use it, was cold), the hummingbird garden is the best!! we spent hours there!! this a hotel to relax and be unplugged. but you can bring your laptop and have wii fi . is NOt close to the Mindo downtown, if you want to go to other place (waterfalls, canopy, etc) the hotel can call a taxi (the taxi rate is $.4.00 aprox) Lorena (the manager/reception) was so nice with us!! very helpful, gave us all kind of recomendations (activities, restaurantes, etc) and the kitchen/garden staff is very friendly!... we highly recomend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank M0renaMia
Quito
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

My name is Roger Ahlman and I live and work as a free lance birdguide in Ecuador since 2005. I have stayed at Septimo an uncountable number of times with groups and I just love it! This is - to me - one of the two-three best lodges in Ecuador (San Isidro and Wildsumaco are the others). Friendly and service-minded staff, no problems with 4.30 am breakfast. The current administrator Lorena is great as was the former (Lily). The grounds are great for birding and the lodge sits at a convenient place for making daytrips to Milpe, Silanche, Angel Paz, Tandayapa valley and Mindo. No need to stay elsewhere and change lodge, stay here and you're fine.
Food is good and the rooms are spaciuos in a rustic yet very charming way.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Roger_Ahlman
Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

The only good thing about this lodge is its setting. It is not luxurious, rooms cramped and uncomfortable, we didn't even have a chair. Meals no better than school dinners in the 60's in UK. There was no hair drier, no room to hang or dry wet clothes..and it is in a cloud forest. If the website warned you that it was basic, run down and tatty then expectations would be lower and it would not be such a shock. The whole place was damp and my clothes in my suitcase still smelled damp when I arrived at my next hotel.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank harley1980
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

Our family spent 3 days at Septimo Paraiso during the Christmas holiday. We were there on Christmas and it was a time we will never forget. Not only did I wake up in a beautiful specious room, overlooking a garden; but the food was delicious. We enjoyed Christmas eve dinner with the owner and other guests and we all felt like family. Loraina who is the manager was SO helpful in arranging rides for us (to go to ziplines, into Mindo, and birding)...even on Christmas day. We also hiked on the trails surrounding Septimo Paraiso, enjoyed their jacuzzi (it was too chilly for the pool) and loved spending time in the seperate building where there was a pool table, bar, couches, and fireplace. A perfect Christmas!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Happyguestohio
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

I was here four nights with a birding tour group. The eco-friendly lodge is very comfortable with attractive Victorian decor and very pleasant lounges and dining room. The food was good and the hummingbirds at the feeders are wonderful. Internet was available but it was very slow.

But my stay was soured when I discovered that $200 had vanished from a billfold that was inside an inconspicuous pocket in a tote bag in my room. I had counted money carefully after our last stop, thinking ahead to what I needed for end of trip tips,and I knew exactly how many bills I had left of each denomination. Yes, it was my own fault. I should have taken the money to the desk for safekeeping, but the incident certainly taints my opinion and I have to say No on a recommend.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank NevaP
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
I am sincerely sorry about the inconvenience you had with your valuables at the lodge. We offer safekeeping service at reception, we have a safe to store all valuables. I have investigated the matter with the staff of the lodge; most of the them have been working for us for several years; but we did not get any conclusive answer. However I removed the chambermaid in turn to the laundry section, she maintains the same salary and hours of work. With this action we hope to give a sense of security to our guest and leave a precedent among the employees.