“DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN ROOM”

Hosteria Septimo Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 19 Mindo B&B and Inns
Lincoln, Nebraska
“DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN ROOM”
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I was here four nights with a birding tour group. The eco-friendly lodge is very comfortable with attractive Victorian decor and very pleasant lounges and dining room. The food was good and the hummingbirds at the feeders are wonderful. Internet was available but it was very slow.

But my stay was soured when I discovered that $200 had vanished from a billfold that was inside an inconspicuous pocket in a tote bag in my room. I had counted money carefully after our last stop, thinking ahead to what I needed for end of trip tips,and I knew exactly how many bills I had left of each denomination. Yes, it was my own fault. I should have taken the money to the desk for safekeeping, but the incident certainly taints my opinion and I have to say No on a recommend.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank NevaP
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, 26 October 2011
I am sincerely sorry about the inconvenience you had with your valuables at the lodge. We offer safekeeping service at reception, we have a safe to store all valuables. I have investigated the matter with the staff of the lodge; most of the them have been working for us for several years; but we did not get any conclusive answer. However I removed the chambermaid in turn to the laundry section, she maintains the same salary and hours of work. With this action we hope to give a sense of security to our guest and leave a precedent among the employees.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Not only is this one of the most spectacular nature spots on the planet - all the more valuable because it has been reclaimed from pasture land - but Septimo Paraiso is also a great model of "eco-friendly" tourism, with lots of attention paid to recycling, biodegradable materials and environmental education. I wish Ana Lucia and her team all the success in the world.

Dr Wayne Visser
UK

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Fishers, IN
Reviewed 6 March 2010

I stayed at this lodge along with 10 other members of a bird watching group. The accommodations are clean, comfortable, safe and the service was excellent. The buffet dinners were some of the best food we had on our trip to Ecuador - I especially liked their juices, soups and desserts.

Stayed March 2010
1 Thank aster7835
Reviewed 13 November 2009

The lodge is in a beuatiful setting but is very run-down. It seems to cater for people from Quito staying at wekeends. the road to it is fine and the hummingbirds are attracted to the feeders outside so there is a fair bit to see. However, the decor is poor, the shower in our room (10 I think) had a light switch inside the shower curtain so we had to be very careful when switching the light on and off. the food quality was poor and the choice of wine seemed to be limited to one red, despite what the guide books will tell you.

I udnerstand from my tour operator that the owners have recently divorced so this could account for the state of the place. the sad thing is that with a bit aof attention, it would be a lovely place to stay, but not at the moment.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank george_bishop
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Don't expect urban sophistication here - especially not in the dining room - but it's a wonderfully peaceful place in a huge forested area. There is a nice pool, if the weather is warm enough. Hummingbirds outside your window. Comfortable bed, large room, simple bathroom. Forest walks on marked trails excellent - get a guide, get up at 4.30 am and go to see the Andean cocks of the rock.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OldfashionedLondon
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 25 September 2009

The rooms are very average. Beds very soft and uncomfortable. Bathrooms - nothing special. (Although I very much appreciate their use of organic products.) Problem was, they shut everything down early. We were told that the pool/jacuzzi were open until 9, but when we went at 5 for a pre-dinner soak, the pool was covered and the jacuzzi turned off (they were happy to reopen it for us though). Then, when we got back from dinner - at the ridiculous hour of 8pm, the whole place was silent and asleep and the hostel keeper was impatiently waiting for us so she could lock up. We were allowed to stay up and chat in the outdoor lounge, but couldn't get drinks, matches, or any service at all. Very much a birdwatchers hotel -- the birders were fast asleep by 8pm, and then noisily woke us up at 4am. Too expensive when compared to other options in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank JenSavPat
Virginia
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I ended up in Septimo Paraiso because I was traveling with my mother and she wanted comfort after a bad stay near Cotopaxi. After investing an embarrassing amount of money into getting a nice suit, it became obvious that it was no first class place to stay. The air was stagnant in the room (fixed by asking for a fan), every once in a while a terrible smell wafted up through the floorboards in a corner of the room (presumably from a bathroom on the floor below), there was rarely anyone at reception, and despite closing everything down before 10pm, breakfast nor coffee were ready until after 7:30 am. On the bright side, the hiking paths around Septimo are very beautiful, the pool and jacuzzi were clean, and the staff were friendly when they were around. One more negative point, taxis stop running up to the hotel at 10pm or earlier, so it's not possible to have a late dinner or hang out in a bar if you want to sleep that night.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends