“Not worth it”
Review of La Casa de Cecilia

La Casa de Cecilia
Ranked #10 of 48 Speciality Lodging in Mindo
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The room I was in had very, very thin walls made of nothing but boards. There were spots where the boards didn't touch, so when someone talked nearby you could hear every word. The shared shower "dry" area was so small, there was literally no where to put your clothes to keep them dry. The common area has two uncomfortable hammocks, and that is it. The internet is very spotty, the router needed to be unplugged and restarted every time I wanted to use it. I gave them laundry to do and when I asked for it the next morning it had been sitting in the dryer all night. Most of my stuff is pretty wrinkle-resistant, but not that much. I like things rustic, but this was too much, especially with all the inexpensive options in Mindo. One good thing, location. Right next to a small river, which was really pretty.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed at La Casa de Cecilia for one night, and wish I'd had the time to stay for longer. It was a really nice little hostel in a very pretty area. The rooms are tiny but this doesn't really matter as they give you fantastic views (many are open air) so you get to look at pretty scenes and tiny little birds. It's really close to the main square of the town and right next to a great bakery as well! The staff are very friendly, as are the two dogs that live at the hostel!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We spent one night in Mindo at Cecilia's. The rooms are good, but don't contain more than a bed or two, which is enough for a night, though.
We had a room on the ground floor, so it was really humid. I guess upstairs, the rooms are better.
The staff is nice and helps you with booking tours or deciding on what to do by giving helpful information.
Breakfast was good (2.50 - 3.50) but basic as well.

So if you're looking on a cheap and basic hotel, in the centre of Mindo, for staying a night or two, Cecilia it is.

Room Tip: Better take rooms upstairs or in one of the huts surrounding. The one beneath the stairs is really h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2013

La Casa de Cecilia was one of my favorite hostels in Ecuador. The location was perfect, right next to a softly babbling river, and the price was great too. I payed $6 per night for a tiny single bed "open air" room that I loved. The open air part meant that there was an open wall, letting in the sounds of the river and the nature, and allowing me to see the stars from my bed.
The whole feel of the place was very serene, and the service was great too. The lady working was very friendly and warm and helped me figure out my itinerary for the 1.5 days I was in Mindo. I toured the tiny chocolate factory just nearby (I forget the name now but its practically next door), went to the "Concierto de Ranas" (loved it), and went zip lining with Canopy Adventure tours (it was decent).
Overall I had a great couple days in Mindo with a big thanks to Casa de Cecilia!

Room Tip: The open air room is amazing if you love nature
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We had a lovely stay at Cecilia, although very basic. The rooms were sufficient, and we had to move halfway through our stay. All rooms come with mozzie nets. Breakfast is served for $2.50.
We didn't have much problems with noise, but the walls are thin as paper.

- yesmads.com

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We had such a great time here! The hostel was all booked up, but they had just built a new cabin that she offered to us to stay in. It didn't have running water/bathrooms yet, but it was so close to the main building it really wasn't a problem. It wasn't completely sealed though (gaps between the windows and the wood, etc.), so at night it was definitely buggy, but I think that goes for all of Mindo. Bring lots of bug spray.

The hostel is super cute, a very short walk from the town center, with a river running behind it. There's an outdoor dining area where breakfast is served, and there are a few boardgames as well as a hammock next to reception.

There was wifi, but it didn't work as far as where we were staying (two cabins away from the main building). Wasn't a huge deal though.

The owner set up everything for us, though. She helped us set up our trip to the butterfly place, the hike to the waterfalls, and another shorter trip before we went to a chocolate tour (in town, not the one closest to La Casa because at the other, you get more chocolate supposedly, and it's fondue, with tons fruits!!), and would call a camioneta for us whenever we needed it.

Let us store our stuff there while we went hiking.

It is not a luxury resort, but it was exactly what we were looking for. As long as you are prepared/willing to have it be more the basics, with friendly and attentive staff, you'll have a great time.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I've stayed here twice now. Both times were very pleasant. The atmosphere of this place is great. The sound of the stream next to the hotel is nice to sleep to. We paid $8 per person per night. The woman at the front desk (Paula, I think) was very helpful and accommodating. She will help you arrange any activity you want to do in Mindo. The walls are thin, so depending on who else is staying there, it may be noisy. My first stay, I tried to take a hot shower early in the morning, but the hot water never came. It's not unusual in Ecuador for lower cost hotels to shut off the hot water tank at night to save money. Evening showers are recommended. The negative reviews on here are from people who don't really get Ecuadorian culture. Just go with it and don't expect Ecuador to be the USA. The're opening a new building in April 2013.

Room Tip: Check out all the available rooms before committing. Each one is unique. There's a very small...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family