“Will definitely come back to Pachijal!”

and 1 more site!
Pachijal Reserva Ecologica
Ranked #37 of 47 Speciality Lodging in Mindo
Milano
“Will definitely come back to Pachijal!”
Reviewed 2 February 2010

This year we decided to spend our holiday in Ecuador once again like we did last year. And even this year we stayed at the Reserva Ecologica Pachijal for a week, its position is great (1800 m. high and no mosquitos) and it is located near a charming and foggy forest.
During our stay we were surrounded by a relaxing and friendly atmosphere.
Even though the lodge doesn't have many rooms, they all have a bathroom and are very clean and comfortable. The food is a mixture between Italian and Ecuadorean and I recommend trying it. You could also ask the owner to take you to its restaurant pizzeria that he owns in Mindo, you will definitely enjoy it. The staff is nice and friendly, as in every lodge in Ecuador, and our guide was well prepared: he always knew which direction and which path to take and he could also tell us the best spots where we could see rare birds and take pictures.
On the way back from our walks we could always have some delicious fruit to eat while watching hummingbirds come and go from the food that was placed for them. One of the best moments was lying on the hammock while listening to the sounds of the forest.
This lodge is perfect if you want to experience adventure and outdoor life.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed one week at Reserva Pachijal before my one week trip to the Galapagos. It was a great experience all the way around.

One of the highlights of staying with Pachijal was being able to spend time with one of the owners. Pierre picked me up Quito and spent the first day driving me around to various bird "hotspots" and sharing his knowledge of the area. I was travelling solo and he took any opportunity he had to spend time with me, including joining me for dinners and inviting me to a great party on new years eve. He made me feel like family. By the end of the trip I felt like he was the brother I never had.

The food was all home made, GREAT, and more than I could eat (and I can eat a lot). The staff was wonderful and very friendly and eager to help in any way they could. The lodge itself was hand made using only material found on the property. All the furniture was also hand made using local material. The lodge is beautiful, warm and very cozy and relaxing.

I have a amatuer nature photography website and my favorite subjects are birds. Pachijal set me up with an amazing bird guide that helped me photograph over 250 NEW birds, in only 5 days, all with in a 25 mile radius of the lodge!

I would highly recommend Pachijal to anyone that enjoys birding, relaxing or hanging out with really nice people. For more info regarding my stay and for various BIRD and nature images taken while at the reserva, you can copy and paste the following link:

If you have any questions regarding my stay or experience, please feel free to contact me via the email given at the above website.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank PaulCasadio
Colorado
Reviewed 7 January 2010

What could have been a truly delightful experience turned out to be a nightmare! Our group of 8 plus 3 guides/driver arrived to find out our reservations had not been honored, but we were assured that if we 'made do' the first night, the second night, we would all have rooms. So one lady was put on the couch in the dining room with the promise of a shared bath, another was put in a room without a bath, but again promised the shared bath, one lady bunked in with her very good married friends, and the guides/driver were promised a house 'on the hill'. The promised shared bath turned out to be non-functioning, and was locked with a sign on the door to that effect. The two ladies were forced to go out in the garden in the middle of the night in the rain. The house 'on the hill' was locked, and the owner had gone to his house somewhere off site, never to be seen again that night. The promised rooms the next day vanished, and so did we! to another hotel, that is! The owner was rude, unhelpful, and did nothing to try to rectify the situation. HIs answer to any of our problems was to vacate the premises and leave us to our own misery. I felt sorry for the staff, as they were quite overwhelmed and got no help from the owner. The food was adequate, but nothing special.

• Stayed December 2009