Casa Divina Lodge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewszip liningbutterfly farmnight hikecloud forestbird watchingobservation deckgalapagos cruisewonderful hostsbreakfast and dinnermorning birdingcolorful birdshand madebirding packagethe owneran excellent guidefamily styleother guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2009

My husband and I spent three nights here in March. Molly was a super resouce prior to our arrival. Having never travelled in Ecuador, we had plenty of pre-arrival questions and she patiently answered them all. She also arranged for a driver for us from the Quito airport to the lodge. That got us off to a great start.

Our accommodations were lovely and squeaky clean. The food was excellent. Molly and Efrain are excellent hosts. Efrain is extremely knowledgeable of the natural history. Since we love birdwatching and all aspects of the natural history, we really appreciated that. Their two little daughters are darling.

We had a terrific time during our one month visit to Ecuador, and La Casa Divina (and Molly and Efrain) were a super way to start.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2009

My husband & I stayed here at the end of April. Even though on both our hikes it rained, it didn't dampen the beauty of it all. It helped that we were able to get our clothes (and shoes) washed & dried.
Molly & Efrain are wonderful hosts. The guided hikes by Efrain were awesome - he knows his stuff - he was able to call to a female quetzal so she would fly closer to us so we would be able to see her beautiful colors. He was able to spot various birds from far off which we could only see with binoculars and he knew them right away.
The rooms, food & company were all fantastic. My only regret is we didn't stay longer.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2009

i stayed here with my boyfriend on my second trip to Mindo. The property is WONDERFUL. The cabañas are adorable and very private because they are set back into the cloud forest. They do not rent out both floors of the cabañas to separate parties so it a great romantic escape. The food that Molly makes is fantastic. She varies between Ecuadorian food and Gringo food. I loved the combination and the desserts! Molly and Efrain's children are adorable and I don't think they were a bother what so ever as a poster said below. But then again, I love children so maybe that is why. Efrain's canopy company was great... It was worth paying more than for the other canopy company in Mindo. In general it was a great place to stay in Mindo. The other places to stay in Mindo are no where near as nice or luxurious because they are hostels (with the exception of Arasha which is outside of Mindo). My few complaints were that I did feel a money pressure at this Inn more so than ever in Ecuador. The van driver they used scoffed at the 1 dollar tip that we gave him and we were charged a corking fee for bringing our own wine to the hotel. Additionally, when I paid for tubing at the tubing location because I thought that was was I was supposed to do, they seemed annoyed with me back at the hotel. Maybe they get a fee for setting me up with the company if I pay at the hotel? I don't know but it was an honest mistake. While these things might fit in more a bit in the US, I felt strange that they happened in Ecuador. The custom in Ecuador is not to tip at all so why not be gracious when receiving a tip? So yes, my boyfriend and I had a fabulous and romantic time but I wish some of these things had not left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 1 March 2009

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful holiday in Ecuador, including a cruise in the Galapagos Islands with Celebrity Cruises (amazing!). After the cruise we spent 3 nights at Casa Divina in Mindo. The cabins were spotless and beautiful, well made of rich and exotic woods, and the setting, nestled amongst streams in the cloud forest outside of town, made for a perfect retreat. Molly and Efrain were wonderful hosts: they made sure we arrived safely and took very good care of us. As we visited in the rainy season, everything was quiet: besides the family and some of their friends who came in to visit, we had Casa Divina to ourselves, exotic and romantic.

The food was well prepared and tasty, especially breakfasts - make sure to get some of those famous waffles. Our hosts also helped us with travel arrangements in the area, including a visit to the Butterfly Farm, the Orchidarea, a morning's ziplining adventure (amazing) and a hike to the cable car and then down to the waterfalls (where we enjoyed a nice lunch prepared by Molly). We also spent some time in town: charming and friendly, a choice of restaurants.

We are well traveled, having explored more than 60 countries. This is one of our favourite places - highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2009

This is a great hideaway in the cloud forest. Although it was one of the most expensive places we stayed in Ecuador we loved it. The property is beautiful and Molly and Efrain make you feel right at home. Molly is an incredible cook - her homemade soups are divine. Efrain is a fabulous birder and naturalist and took us all over the area. Definitely recommend for anyone that loves enjoying the outdoors with all of the creature comforts of home. We lucked out and were the only people staying there and had a hard time leaving.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends