“LOVE IT! Best hostal on the point”
Review of Casa del Sol

Casa del Sol
Quito, Ecuador
“LOVE IT! Best hostal on the point”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Casa del Sol for a little more than three weeks (March-April). We searched and contacted many places before deciding to stay here. We choose it because the owner, Tamera, was quick to respond to our emails, she gave us a great price (for long term stay), the reviews were great – and it was on the point, which is a good 10 minute walk from town. Believe me, you want to stay on the point. Here you will be able to escape the crazy nightlife of Montanita. It is quiet, and you and your belongings will be safe.

The price included wifi (worked 90% of the time), daily cleaning of our room and a really amazing breakfast – with real coffee! Unlike the usual Ecuadorian breakfast serving of two eggs, toast and jam, it was different each day. Our favorites included the breakfast burritos, coconut pancakes and banana bread with fresh fruit.

Tamera, a kind, intelligent and business minded Canadian, purchased the hostal last year. Her brother, Greg, and a couple of her good friends, Lydia and Jessica, help her run the hostal. Together, they are of the most welcoming, kind and down-to-earth people.

Once a week, usually Friday nights, Jessica (the hostal’s chef) will cook up an amazing dinner for guests – and locals – who are interested. She will be sure to exceed your expectations. I had the opportunity to cook a couple times with her. Loved every second of it.

As Tamera works to update and renovate the hostal the gang is by her side.
Juan, Julio and Wendy (locals), also work to keep the hostal clean. The rooms and beds (we stayed in two different rooms, one with air conditioning) were very clean, comfy and included fans. Although the bathrooms are a little out dated, they are clean and the water pressure is good.

On site is a Yoga studio where Tamera and another local expat, Whitney, teach Yoga and Nia classes at a really good price - $5 per one-hour class. You can buy packages too. Usually there are two classes a day, except on the weekends. These girls are no first-timers when it comes to yoga and instructing. You will not be disappointed. Promise.

Overall we had a great experience at Casa del Sol. The people (guests and locals) we met were great! And, our memories will last a lifetime.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katie F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Casa Del Sol is a truly perfect place to stay.
Yoga classes were beyond my expectations by all 3 instructors I had.
My room, although a bit cavernous, was quiet and cool.
The social scene at the bar was so nice, very easy going and a great place to go if you are a solo traveler.
Nice people running a nice place with great food and excellent yoga!
The beach is across the street by the way and a couple of small tiendas selling anything you need.
Tres Palmas tiki bar across the street has excellent food and is beach front.
Prices are very reasonable and the food is excellent especially that fresh pesto!

Book it!

Room Tip: get a room away from the road and on second floor. Good place to get away from Carnivale.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bougain V
Surrey
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I booked in here as they have a yoga studio and were offering classes on an evening and one on one practice if you wanted it.

I wasn't expecting much, although I had read reviews on here that said it was a good place to visit.

When I arrived I was greeted by the owner who was just chilling at the bar with friends, it was a proper welcome. I was given my room key and shown my room, however only got there after a couple of beers and a long chat, it was like we were long lost pals.

Tamara had recently taken over the place and her brother Greg and mate Jessica are helping run it. They are doing a terrific job and I don't think there is anyone who has visited who doesn't think they are amazing. They are also helped by a number of local folks who have been there a while and there personalities and energy also add to the experience.

CDS is a 10 minute walk into Montanita, but believe me, you appreciate the walk after a couple of nights in Montanita, beacuse if you want to escape the madness you can do. Also the best part of the beach is literally a minute walk from the front of CDS.

For the price I paid, I wasn't expecting the Ritz, however I got a comfortable room, with A/C and a fan and a good shower. I slept well every night I was there and the Wifi (which is free) worked 95% of the time. Awesome.

The best part of CDS is the communal atmosphere there, they serve superb breakfasts on a couple of big tables in a courtyard type setting and they are very cool about you just hanging out there during the day and bringing in food later. The bar/checkin area is the heart beat, it has a "Cheers" feel to it and after a day everyone does know your name.

While I was staying there there was a great bunch of folk from all around the world staying there. Every night around 6.00pm people would gather at the bar and take a drink. You just run a tab and settle up when you leave.

I went for the yoga and that didn't disappoint, Tamara and the previous owner Whitney would take group lessons on an evening. The cost $5.00 in a wonderful bamboo studio. I also had one on one lessons with Whitney who was awesome.

This truly is an inspired residence with a great community of people running an associated with it.

Will I be going back?... I want to live there!!! it is awesome.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank NormanFriendly
Montanita, Ecuador
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I just finished up a stay here in the high season (January 2012) and I have nothing but good things to say.

The rooms are modest, and priced as such. They are decent, and clean, and have AC and hot water (a few have fans I'm told). But the real treats here are the breakfasts and the wonderful staff.

Casa del Sol (not Casa de Sol - it's listed incorrectly here on TA) makes a wonderful breakfast. It's western style, so you generally get a plate with breakfast and fruit. My personal favorites were French toast and breakfast burritos. They serve coffee and tea.

They have staff who speak English and Spanish. The owners are wonderful, and they treat their staff with respect. All of this adds up to a great experience. They're booked a few months in advance from January-April, so make sure you reserve ahead of time.

Room Tip: Top floors have better windows.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Theo S
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I came across this gem while travelling through Ecuador. I generally look for smaller places where I can expect no frills and easy living, but I had no idea what I was in for when I stumbled upon Casa de Sol- this hotel offered more than any place I have ever stayed. Casa de Sol has a very special combination; from the layout of the hotel (which automatically puts you to ease), to the beautiful vegetation, to the staff that goes above and beyond to make your stay exceptional...the combination is seriously perfect. The rooms are very comfortable, always clean, with comfortable beds, hot water and wireless internet . The main area of the hotel has a great vibe, hand made wooden furniture, unique stone architecture, hammocks and a great L-shaped bar (with cold brews). They serve breakfast every morning that never disappoints, from breakfast burritos to french toast and other more traditional options. The hotel has a private access to the beach and is located right on a great right point break (for you surfers). The beach access also has a bar and hammocks and is straight out of a movie. During my stay I was fortunate enough to meet and befriend everyone involved in the hotel and within hours they become more like family than friends. The cake is taken by the manager/owner, Tamara- she never stopped moving and made sure the entire place was perfect. She also picked the right staff; Jessica, the resident chef, Lydia, the resident baker (mighty fine cookies), and Juan and Julio- the local guys that welcome you in with warm smiles and make you feel right at home. Everyone involved is full of life and wants to make your stay exceptional. I have stayed in close to 100 small hostels/hotels around the globe and Casa del Sol went above and beyond anything I had ever experienced. It was the best, bar none.

So, in summary, if you are looking for a hotel with energy, a passion and love for life and hospitality beyond measures, Casa de Sol is the perfect fit. I ended up at Casa de Sol by accident, but I will absolutely return intentionally.

Happy and Safe travels everyone!

Room Tip: If you have a group of friends room #12 is great, sleeps 5 and overlooks all the action. If you are...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael P
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Casa del Sol is a special place. The best thing about this hostel are the Canadian people who run it. They are very friendly, willingly to hang out and even party with you. It happened to be my birthday while I stayed their and they went to great length to throw a dinner party for me with all the people I met in Montanita. It was the best birthday ever, I have never been in a hostel that did such a thing for their guests. It is located on la punta, 5 minutes walk from the town, which is perfect, because staying in town will ensure you won't get any sleep due to the loud music every night. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The hostel has a bar that is the perfect hangout to meet people. I would definitely recommend this place! I'm hoping to come back some day.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Alexander B
Reading, UK
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Casa del Sol is an awesome place to stay. It has a special place in my heart and I will keep going back there. If you’re looking for somewhere soulless and smart, Casa del Sol probably isn’t for you. But for the right kind of person, Casa del Sol is a truly special place and one you will find hard to leave.

Casa del Sol is located at the Point, which is a 10 minute walk down the beach from the crazy party town of Montanita. The atmosphere at the Point is chilled and quiet. Life at the Point gives you the option to venture into the craziness whenever you want to, but to get a good night’s sleep and a sanctuary to come back to. There is always a hammock to chill out in, outside your room, in the tropical garden or on the beach.

Casa del Sol has two main accommodation buildings. One is ocean view and the other is set back a little, on the other side of the very quiet road. There is a beach bar, which also sells tacos and burritos. The communal breakfast area, wifi lounge and yoga studio are on the other side of the road, with the courtyard bedrooms.

The yoga classes at Casa del Sol are absolutely fantastic and great value at $5 for a 90 minute class. The bamboo yoga studio is a lovely space. Whitney, the yoga teacher, also does Nia classes, which are a mix of dance, yoga and martial arts. It’s mostly dance and an absolutely ridiculous amount of fun. How often do you get to dance barefoot and sober to Fat Boy Slim or Thievery Corporation with your friends, with kickass steps to follow if you want to, or the freedom to make up your own moves if you prefer?! At Casa del Sol, the answer is ALL THE TIME! The Nia music is so great, there is so much stomping and laughing going on, that people walking past all look up and wonder “what on earth is going on in there?!”

Casa del Sol breakfasts are delicious and included in the room rates. There are Indian or Mexican burritos (differently spiced eggs and vegetables in flour tortillas) with fruit and juice, French toast, banana pancakes. Fruit salad with home made granola is usually an option for those who want to be healthy,

The Casa del Sol beach bar is the best place to watch the sunset in Montanita, bar none. A sunset cocktail there is the best way to end the day and start the evening. The owners and staff at Casa del Sol often hang out at the beach bar when they’re not working and are happy to hang out and chat. It’s a friendly place to go for the lone traveller.

The wifi at Casa del Sol is a bonus and it’s pretty fast and reliable.

For those interested in surfing, the best waves in Montanita are at the Point, right in front of the hotel. The Point for advanced surfers only, so it’s a great place to watch some of the country’s best surfers on their home break. The beach break is good for beginner and intermediate surfers. The surf instructor at Casa del Sol is a great guy, speaks good English and has a genuine passion for teaching people how to surf.

All the Ecuadorean staff at Casa del Sol are awesome. They love working there and come back season after season. Jorge is the guy who does the breakfasts and is also the resident surf instructor. His English is really good and he’s a really fun loving guy. The guys in charge of cleaning, maintenance and the taco bar, Julio and Juanito, don’t speak any English but are very patient with those learning Spanish. If you make the effort to get to know these guys, you will not be just another guest to them, you’ll become part of the family.

There is a little shop next to Casa del Sol which sells the most amazing fruit salad bowls for £1.50. The family who run the shop have the nicest kids you could ever wish to meet.

One word of warning: the walk between the Point and town is safe, except in the early hours of the morning for girls on their own, when I would recommend getting a taxi for $1.50.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are the nicest. For those on a lower budget, I would suggest the upstairs court...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo