“Spectacular mountain lodge nestled in a beautiful forest”

Samai Ocean View Lodge Spa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Spectacular mountain lodge nestled in a beautiful forest”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The lodge is a couple of km outside Olon and then up a road in the forest. The main lodge is an open air, beautifully built, building with views looking eastward to an uninhabited forest. The owners mention having seen spectacled bears, howler monkeys and more deeper in the forest. From the restaurant patio, one looks down onto a pool and jacuzi and on to the beach. It is a gorgeous setting with 2 story guest buildings set far apart on the hillside. Each building house 2 - 4 rooms. Ours had a view westwards, down the hill and onto the beach. The owners are very much in tune with the nearby surroundings and use only natural pesticides and cleaning agents. Rooms are clean and airy (with air-conditioners to ensure bug-free nights). There is a lovely smell around the property and many butterflies. In the evening, one can sit by the pool or in the open living area, where a bookshelf holds games and books about the region. We had appetizers which were delicious and a filling breakfast with yogurt, granola, fruit, bread, juice and coffee/ tea. The lodge allowed us to experience the forest which once existed all along the coast and was a nice change from sleeping by the beach.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Merry V
Tania62_13, Manager at Samai Ocean View Lodge Spa, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Costumer

Greetings from Samai Lodge, thanks fr your review and Hope to host you again in a near future.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We spent a fantastic 5 nights at the Samai Lodge, and our only regret not having had more time. The lodge is set in a beautiful environment, surrounded by nature but with great access to the beach and it's an ideally placed base to explore up and down this beautiful coastline and further inland.

Our room was hugely comfortable and private, with our own balcony and views that were just breathtaking - waking up in the morning was a sheer pleasure. The hotel serves a fresh and lovely breakfast, which set us up for the day and we also enjoyed a couple of delicious evening meals to. Tania, Ed and all the staff were really friendly and informative, and helped us make the most of our time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Rod F
Dear Costumer

Thanks for your visit. We are looking to keep improving and host you better next time.
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

From the minute we arrived I fell in love with the spectacular surroundings. Tanya is a gracious host who is happy to take care of your needs. Ed is a wonderful masseuse and a friendly, interesting and informative man. We loved our tasty, delicious meals in the beautiful dining area. We loved the incense they use to keep the bugs away, the smell was intoxicating and the atmosphere at the meals is very calming with such beautiful scenery while enjoying a wonderful, soft breeze. We watched the most spectacular sunset that slowly retreated into the aquamarine coloured waters. Tanya commented that in all the years she has watched the sunsets she never tires of watching this magnificent evening ritual. The colours of the sun changed continually and the rays splashed across the sky, this sunset reminded me of the prairies with an ocean view. We slept peacefully & in the morning opened our doors to the breath taking view from our balcony. We were treated to the magnificent yellow bellied birds with blue backs. Tanya has a bird book to see the names of the tropical birds. Alas, Jim saw so many birds that were similar, it was difficult to distinguish. It would have taken viewing with our binocs we left behind. This is a place we shall journey to many times to restore our spirits & to enjoy our new friends who we enjoyed rich conversation with. One of the best Spa's we have had the pleasure to visit. I sent a FB message & 7 friends have mentioned they will come with us next year for a retreat. It will be fun setting this up with Tanya & Ed. Till then we will dream of our wonderful experience that will bring us back next year or maybe another visit before returning to Canada mid January!

Room Tip: As far as I could tell all rooms had a view, I would recommend our room which I think was number 12...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tania62_13, Manager at Samai Ocean View Lodge Spa, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Costumer:
We appreciate your visit and hope to have you back.
Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Samai is a very special place. I was looking to find a workshop in Ecuador about Shamanism and indigenous cultures before travelling on throughout the country by myself for 3 weeks. I came across Samai online through the Sacred Journey part of their website and found a weeks workshop incorporating ceremonies with sacred plants, yoga, meditation and shamanic ceremonies. Now, I know that a lot of people might read the last sentence and think that this is the last thing that they would be interested in, or that it might be some weird, New Age retreat, but Samai is a beautiful, relaxing lodge where you can do as much or as little as you like, both in terms of the local activities on offer as well as the sacred journeys and spiritual retreats.

The rooms in the cabins dotted across the property make the most of the stunning views down to the sea and the paths to access them are well lit at night. The free wifi signal doesn't reach the cabins, but is fast and efficient in the lovely communal areas. Samai is also surrounded by beautiful forest so you'll be able to see and hear all sorts of exotic wildlife, including huge blue butterflies and humming birds.

The service has to be one of the best things about Samai, everyone was so unbelievably friendly and accommodating. I was anxious about bugs getting into the room as I'm rather bug-phobic (great choice to go to cloud forest then!). I emailed Tania, one of the owners, before I arrived to mention this and she assured me the room would be thoroughly checked and treated with Paolo Santo, a natural deterrent to creepy crawlies, and I had no problems during my week's stay. The food was also the best I had during my month long trip to Ecuador and my nervousness about travelling by myself for the first time was allayed by a pick up from Guyaquil airport and a lift with Ed and Tania to Cuenca which went above and beyond.

For a quiet, relaxing (and, if you would like it to be), spiritual and meditative escape by the ocean in Ecuador, I would definitely recommend Samai as the nicest place in the area.

With thanks to Tania, Ed and the fantastic Samai team,
Fleur

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear Costumer

Your appreciation for Nature and your presence in Samai Lodge encourage us to continue to support responsible tourism.
Regards,
Montañita, Guayas, Ecuador
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was overwhelmed by the merging of jungle, ocean and mountain all in one place!The employees were very friendly and the kitchen had great vegetarian and non-vegetarian food. If I had to say what i loved best about Samai it was the views from my balcony of the mountains and ocean. The spa gives great massages and there are even shamanic healing ceremonies available which my wife took part in. All in all a very relaxing and private serene place to spend a weekend.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7 and it is like being in a tree house with a great balcony, hammock and view of t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I just spent the last week of September 2013 at Samai Lodge. It was absolutely wonderful. The food was so healthy and delicious and the service overall was fantastic. The AC system is new, although, at the time I went, I enjoyed the cool weather, a little bit chilly around this time of the year, which was perfect. I have no words to describe the powerful energy that this mountain has. Although you are in the middle of the forest, you feel a sense of protection by the extraordinary nature that surrounds you. It is the perfect escape, if you want to detach from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is the ideal place to read the TAO TE CHING, and to practice longer meditations. In other words, it is complete BLISS!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tania62_13, Owner at Samai Ocean View Lodge Spa, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Costumer

It has been a great honor to host you at Samai Lodge.
Hope to see you again soon.
Regards,
Tania
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

In my previous comment/review, I forgot to mention something quite important about Samai's food: it is glorious!! From breakfast to lunch and dinner, I and my sister were delighted with the freshness of very healthy, organically grown (many items) produce, which the owners grow in the same place! I had a quinoa soup and spaguetti florentino that were simply divine!! This alone should be a good reason to come back for anyone!!! Being a demanding New Yorker, I think I have developed deep and serious appreciation for quality food. Therefore, I very much appreciated what Samai's chef placed on my table!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Costumer:

Hope to see you soon. Welcome always!!!

Regards