“Great hostel!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Great hostel!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Great hostel located near the beach. Very short walk to town. Has a very nice terrace with hammocks on the top floor overlooking the sea. Montanita town is very noisy therefore it was nice to stay in a place where it was possible to relax and have a good nights sleep. The rooms are clean, sheets are changed often. There are lockers with safety boxes inside them. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the owner is a very good host. Does everything he can to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Ha, Jorge - sorry, but I really enjoyed that one star review from "mdolling83". I mean, poor Alicia, but I can just hear this person saying, "CAN'T YOU SPEAK AMERICAN??"

mdolling83 - how's your Spanish? Seems on par with your room booking abilities...

Anyhow - Esperanto Hostel: Dreadful place. Nah, I'm kidding, of course. I wish I could buy it and just live there. All of you could still come and stay.
I was there in early March, accompanying a couple of ne'r d' well friends of mine on a surf trip. Jorge treated us like old friends and as far as friends go - he's a good one to have.
The architecture of the building is very cool.
Jorge and the staff are very cool and efficient and while we're at it, Ecuador is a very cool corner of the world as well.
Location: Amazing. Convenient to Montanita, but set away in a relaxing, intimate area.
The view from our room and balcony was amazing.
I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Last stop on a two week surf/climbing trip to Ecuador with two of my best friends. Come to find out, I was about to make another great friend, Jorge!! Jorge is the proprietor of this fine establishment. He even emailed me to confirm my booking that I made on Hostelworld. He wanted to make sure that the accommodations were up to spec and to let me know that we could have a better room with an Ocean View if we wanted it. After a smooth arrival, we found Jorge relaxing on the ocean view terrace where he became ultra stoked to find out we had come for surfing. He quickly let us know where to go depending on tides/wind/etc and the next thing we know we are nailing head high left-pointbreaks with nobody out!!! Esperanto is an amazing hostel that is walking distance to the main party streets of Montanita and quiet enough to chill if that is what you seek. I would stay here over and over again.

Jordan P.
Los Angeles

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view rooms if possible...you can see all the way to the right point north of Montanita...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Montanita was my last stop in a 2-month trip through South America, and I was apprehensive because the 15+ other hostels I had stayed in during those 2 months led me to expect anything! Esperanto was a perfect choice though...
Let's start with my arrival - I planned on staying in a dorm, but upon arrival, something had come up and the dorm wasn't available. I didn't know this, but the owner arranged for me to stay in a single (the private ensuite) for no extra cost! Jorge you are the best for accommodating me! The rooftop terrace was the perfect place to make friends, chill, and watch the sunset - at the time I was there, the internet was on the lower floors only (it's in every room now according to FB!) which was fine with me because Montanita is a place you want to get unplugged.

Restrooms, even the shared ones, were way clean. The private room had its own kitchen which I used more than the shared one, so I can't comment on it, but it was never crowded in the main one. When he's around, Jorge is checking in with everyone, socializing with the guests even at night, but it's a pretty chill place at night so if you need to get a good sleep, you can.

I eventually switched to a dorm, but it was still top notch as far as dorms go - fresh towel every day, plenty of charge points for your plugs. I couldn't get over how clean everything is. Definitely recommend this one.

Room Tip: The rooftop suite sleeps more than one, has its own bathroom and kitchen, and seriously has more app...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We have been raving about our experience at Hostel Esperanto. We have traveled the world and visited beautiful beaches, but there are not many views like the view from the terrace here. Hostel Esperanto is set in the low-key area of Montanita. You can walk for five minutes in one direction and join the wild parties or a enjoy a great meal. We loved having the opportunity to go out and join the party, but when it was time to call it a night, it was very comforting to be able to walk back to the hostel and enjoy a peaceful, quiet sleep. In the other direction, a five minute walk will take you to the best surf areas and surf schools.

Hostel Esperanto is a very clean and well-maintained hostel, which is something that is hard to find in a party locale.

Please introduce yourself to Jorge, the owner, during your stay. Jorge is a native Ecuadorian who is passionate about Montanita, surfing, and traveling. He will be able to give you great advice and history about the city and surrounding areas – where to eat, where to surf, where to party.

We wrote about our experience on our blog:

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed at Esperanto Hostel for a total of 2 weeks during a month-long surfing and yoga trip to Montanita. Of the 3 hostels i stayed at, this was my favourite. The price is very good value. Jorge (the owner) and his staff are really friendly, helpful and accommodating. The rooms are clean and comfortable (i tried both a 4 bed dorm and a private room). The rooftop terrace on the fourth floor is the highlight of the building. It's a great spot to chill in a hammock and read a book or watch the sunset and drink with the other guests. There are enough people so that you can make friends easily but it's not too crowded. There is a good mix of nationalities and types of travellers staying here as well.
The location is awesome as well - right on the beach and close enough to cocktail alley without being noisy. This would be the first place that i'd go back to if I found myself in Montanita again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Bay City, MI, USA
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This may be my favorite hostel in South America! I was nervous about having a noise problem in Montanita, but the Esperanto Hostel is the perfect distance away from the action - close enough to walk there in less than 5 minutes, but far enough to have a good nights sleep.
English/Spanish speaking staff, great kitchen, hot water, towels, clean bathrooms, balconies in every room/ dorm, fast wi-fi, beautiful grounds and outdoor shower all right across the street from the beach.
The staff was so helpful when we were looking for surf lessons, places to eat, bus schedules, etc. I had a really hard time leaving and would love to go back.

Room Tip: The hammocks on the roof terrace at Hostel Esperanto offers probably the best beach views in Montani...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple