We spent four days at the Sani Lodge and had a fantastic experience. This place is NOT posh--this is no spa retreat in the jungle. BUT, if you want to meet wonderful people, see rainforest up close, learn about the life of the indigeneous rainforest dwellers, while eating and sleeping well and feeling quite safe--this is the place. We awoke each day at 5:30 and were at breakfast by 6:00! But it was worth it. Our guide, Fredy, spoke perfect English but had grown up in the jungle hunting wild pigs with grandfather and uncles. He showed us where to find good tasting ants to eat (for real!) and what vines contain clear water you can drink. We saw Toucans, squirrel monkeys, wooly monkeys, caimon, walking stick insects, scorpions, etc. Fredy was good company and answered questions about how his community was organized, cultural expectations, family life etc. On the third day, Fredy took us to his community and we met his Mom and Dad and saw their coffee farming. Then they cooked lunch for us--fresh fish packed into a paste made from hearts of palm and wrapped in a banana leaf. I have literally never tasted anything more delicious! We also ate some roasted beetle larvae, which I don't long to eat again, but it was interesting. Staff was friendly, food at the lodge was very good. They have a small library, spotty wi-fi, and a full bar. The rooms are like camping--bare wood with a thatched roof, clean and strurdy but no decorative touches. Electricity operates for five hours daily. The showers offer a crazy trickle of sometimes scorching, then suddenly cold water. So, don't come if you really want the Red Door. But do come if you are curious and open hearted and want to get up close and personal with one of the richest ecosystems on the planet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sani Lodge is the only jungle lodge in Ecuador that is 100% owned and operated by the indigenous Kichwa community of Sani Isla. On the banks of a stunning lagoon, and surrounded by pristine rainforest, packed with monkeys, manatees, sloths, manatees and over 550 types of birds, this superb jungle lodge is a perfect base to explore the Amazon jungle by day and enjoy some real comfort by night. Camping option available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Sani Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sani Hotel Yasuni National Park
- Sani Hotel Quito
- Sani Resort All Inclusive
- Sani Lodge Ecuador/Yasuni National Park