“Highly recommended gem in the Hunter Valley”

Bimbadeen Mountain Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Mount View B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bimbadeen Mountain Retreat in May for our 10 year wedding anniversary.

Chris & Joe were so lovely and nothing was too much trouble.

We stayed in the cottage which lovely and had a wood fire, which Joe offered to start for us, but my husband was keen to give it a go, and was the highlight of his weekend!

We loved the view from the cottage and the privacy we had. The location was great for visiting wineries also. We didn't want to go on a tour bus, and preferred to drive ourselves. Chris gave us a map and after asking about our wine tastes, marked out the wineries she thought we would like to stop at. She was spot on, all her recommendations were exactly what we liked!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 June 2013

I can't recommend this B&B highly enough. The house itself is gorgeous, lovely wood floors and stone walls, with breathtaking views over the Hunter Valley. The room had every possible amenity, including an amazing spa bath and a private balcony, which was perfect for eating the amazing breakfast the lovely owner brought to our room each morning. We had a wonderful long weekend there. It was tranquil, private, hugely comfortable and very welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble for the owner, when they found out I was gluten-free they made a special trip to buy me bread and cereal for breakfast. They even gave me the loaf to take away at the end of our stay. If you're looking for peace, solitude and relaxation, Bimbadeen Mountain Retreat will definitely tick all the boxes.

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend the room with the spa bath
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harriet C
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Perched at almost the top of the mountain, we stayed in the one bedroom cottage. Wow what a view. The cottage was plenty big enough with a comfortable bed and all the necessary touches. Christine & Joe are so friendly without intruding and gave us great advice on where to eat, whilst we were in the Hunter Valley. Definitely on my stay again list and is situated at the end of a quite road. So no noisy neighbors or traffic problems. Whist not exactly central, it certainly is easy to navigate around the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and didn't want to leave. When we first arrived I thought we might be a bit isolated but after driving around the Hunter region we realised that everything in the area is quite spread out (it is rural afterall). It was lovely to come back to peace and quiet each night, although the road up to the house is quite steep and rough. Chris's breakfast served on our balcony each morning was absolutely fantastic - couldn't have picked a nicer setting.
It would have been good to have a small kitchenette or something as it was a reasonable distance to restaurants each night - so couldn't have too many wines. It would have been good to be able to prepare something light at home and enjoy a few wines on the balcony.
Chris and Joe are very friendly hosts with great tips for places to visit.
I would also recommend taking a hot air balloon ride with Darren from Wine Country Balloons - sensational.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed at Bimbadeen Mountain Retreat for three nights midweek as part of our honeymoon. We also booked a private wine tour with them (see below). Chris & Joe are very friendly and helpful hosts. My wife & I did not hire a car in Australia, so Joe picked us up from a nearby train station for an extra fee (much better value than taxi would have been!). On our free day, Chris very kindly gave us lifts to and from the Hunter Valley Gardens for no extra charge. The room was nice, the view from the house is great, and there is a path leading into the bush. The breakfast was continental-style.

Wine tour: We went on a private wine tour with Joe on one of the days. Having looked into private wine tour prices elsewhere, the one Joe provided was extremely good value! Joe is local, knows the wineries well and likes wine, great criteria for a tour guide. He is flexible, and will arrange a tour based on your personal requests if you have any. We asked for his personal recommendations and were not disappointed. Knowing that I wanted to see kangaroos in the wild, he also took us to see some. In the early afternoon, we tried some local cheese and chocolate - I needed a short break from wine after the morning, so it was good that Joe could recommend these alternatives!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in the Hunter Valley. This was my third visit and I wouldn't hesitate to come back. The rooms are immaculate, views outstanding and the service second to none. It was great to wake to the sound of bellbirds. Loved the breakfast too and plunger coffee.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This place has great views and very friendly hosts. We booked the cabin and loved it right away. Very private and comfortable with fireplace and lots of stocked wood. Bush walking nearby as well as short drive to wine country hotspots. Will visit again very soon.

Room Tip: Cabin for private romantic weekend.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple