“Poor, very slow service”
Review of Gauguin Shells - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Gauguin Shells
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The restaurant was not busy when we arrived. There was a couple sat inside the restaurant and two more couple sat outisde. We chose to sit outside as it was a pleasant evening. The young waitress brought us menus and took our drinks order. These arrived fairly promptly along with water and glasses. it was another 15 minutes before she returned to take our order. Then we waited an hour for our food to arrive. We were just about to walk away when the waitress brought our meals. I must point out that she was not alone, there was also an waitress on duty and a chap behind the bar. The food was nothing special and the quality was just average. We didn't bother with desserts because by now it was getting late. My husband went in to pay as we could not get the attention of anyone to bring the bill to us. Once inside I had a look around at the paintings on the wall, I remarked on one of them with interest to the man behind the counter/bar. He looked up with a blank expression and went back to what he was doing. This same man gave us the bill and we paid - during this transaction there was no smile, no "Was everything ok?" and no general friendly chat. So we paid and walked out. This was not the warm hospitable Kiwi experience we had become so used to! Don't bother going there, customers are obviously not important.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Nice location, relatively good food, pricing extortionate!! once sitted we did regret choosing the place. Service was also a little slow.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

liked the decor, the food and service excellent, the Gaugin art is interesting and informative. The toilet facilities are of the highest standard, the best that I have seen in New Zealand

Reviewed 9 January 2013

The food was gorgeous and I would definitely return if I was ever in the area again.

I had the beef while my friend had the mushroom wellington - both were really nice dishes. For pudding I had the chocolate and raspberry tart, other than wishing the fruit had been fresh I enjoyed it.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

This restaurant delivered beautiful food - absolutely gorgeous and cannot be faulted. I will return to eat there without hesitation. As for service, could be more welcoming but, perhaps we arrived without a booking and later in the evening.
In the end the waitress was lovely and we thoroughly enjoyed the food.