“Food to match the view” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mahurangi River Winery and Restaurant
Price range: US$11 - US$24
Cuisines: European, International, Mediterranean, Wine Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: winery and restaurant
London, United Kingdom
“Food to match the view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Enjoyed a very decent lunch at the Maruhangi Winery which had the magic of the truly special.....the only thing missing was some sunshine. With an interesting menu cooked by an exceptional chef, a highly quaffable rose (Pretty in Pink) and views to send the soul soaring, this place encapsulated the romantic care free vision I imagined about eating lunch at a vineyard restaurant. I had the lamb medallions which really were so good they left me smiling for the rest of the day, the garden herb gallete kept my better half quiet for a good few hours and the portobello mushrooms got an enthusiastic thumbs up from our friends. Service was efficient, friendly but unobtrusive even though we turned up seconds before the kitchen was due to close....perhaps the chef wasn't quite so pleased to see us, but they should know we left highly impressed and very happy.

The best of a very good bunch.

• Visited December 2013

Auckland
“Top quality food and wines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was our second New Years Day lunch at this winery, and once again it was an amazing experience. The food is really very good, friendly and helpful service, and reasonably priced and tasty wines. This is our pick for the best restaurant in the Matakana area. The bread with olive oil was so tasty. I had the venison cutlet, and lemon meringue slice. I would eat the meal again tomorrow if I had the chance. The only hiccup when I got home and examined the bill was that I was charged the restaurant price, not the winery price, when I purchased a bottle of wine to take away with me. After the superb lunch I was quite prepared to forget about that.

• Visited January 2014
“Nice location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

The views are great. the menu looked lovely but did not cater for our 8 year old daughter. I did a wine tasting $5 for a choice of 3 wines. I did not like the wine at all but I am from the South Island so my palette is clouded by our own wines.

Visited January 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Just too long a wait for food...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked for lunch as our daughter was over for the holiday break and we have always enjoyed the restaurant both for it's setting and food. We ordered some bread and dips which arrived around 30 mins after the order (at this point we weren't concerned about timing so cant be exact). These were excellent in quantity and flavours. However, an hour after the initial order was placed we did start enquiring were the food was....The manager explained that they had problems in the kitchen, the waitress said the kitchen was small...The food arrived an hour and 45 mins after it was ordered. My daughter and I had the fish of the day which was snapper served on risotto which was also excellent. The husband's smoked chicken salad was described as "not worth the wait" and looked a little "mushy" to me. From our perspective it seemed that the restaurant was overbooked for the capacity of the kitchen and staff available on the day. While staff apologised politely for the delay, they were not as active at the table as usual; they didn't enquire wether we wanted more wine as our glasses emptied; perhaps they may have felt embarrassed as they tried to avoid eye contact with a room full of hungry diners looking for their meals? From reading other reviews it seems that this is not the first time this has happened; I think management need to factor in the capability of the kitchen when taking bookings particularly with the veranda area also being used. I think todays situation was such a shame becuase we havent remembered the lovely meal just the slow service and poorly handled situation. My sympathys go to the chef who managed to send out good quality food in what must have been a "pressure cooker" of a shift.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Santa Monica, California
“Wine tasting!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is the 2nd time our group has gathered here to wind up a wine tasting trip on the Matakana Wine Trail. We LOVE this place. The host and winemaker is SO knowledgeable and very willing to share his insights. The help staff were all fantastic. The food was YUMMY and the wine delicious.
It is our FAVOURITE on the wine trail.

• Visited November 2013