“Nice spot if you want something off the beaten path”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warkworth
Sandspit Holiday Park
Hastings, New Zealand
“Nice spot if you want something off the beaten path”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I arrived in the rain after dark but had no trouble getting a response from the office. Low season so no issues getting a powered site and they told me not to worry about check out time. I only stayed the one night just passing through but the location looked great in the morning and right by the marina. It's a quaint setting with some buildings that look like an old village but are part of the camp ground. They were building a new ablutions block so soon they should have some upgraded facilities.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank allcornersNZ

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed here twice over the summer. Both times we enjoyed it and the children loved all the free facilities – large outdoor snakes and ladders, chess and the free kayaks (with life jackets) available for two hours on each side of high tide. There’s also a good children’s playground just across the road. The location is great on the waterfront with lots of lovely trees. But the camp sites have obviously been refashioned so they’re not very big and some are quite small. There’s a lovely nature walk with fascinating giant sculptures but the advertised chip and putt golf course is hard to find and very poorly maintained.

The camp kitchen facilities were fine but the toilet/shower blocks are very basic and weren’t kept clean. One Sunday after a very busy Saturday the ladies block was left uncleaned with no paper towels (and no other way of drying your hands) all day. When we asked at the end of the afternoon if they could be cleaned we were told indignantly that the cleaners had been busy cleaning all the cabins vacated that morning instead and hadn’t had time to get to them. Why not? The following day it was clear that hardly anyone had come to stay in any of the cabins yet the paying guests still in the camp sites were left with dirty facilities. The second time we stayed the management made no attempt to keep things quiet so people could sleep. On different nights we had groups partying nearby till after midnight.

The children loved it there so we may go back but hope the place will be kept better.

Room Tip: The camp sites on the waterfront have fabulous views
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ladybentley
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I stayed for two nights in a camper van on my own. I had booked for three nights, with the possibility of extending for a further two. The location is magnificent - right in the bay and with amazing views walking out to Horseshoe cove.
Sadly the same cannot be said for a very large group of people who have permanent sites there. They clearly believe it's their personal fiefdom and therefore can do what they like. Night one - minding my own business in the TV room, a group if the teenagers threw open the door and laughed at me. Later, the entire group had a party, very loudly and drunkenly. To be fair, they switched the music off just after 10pm. The following night, one if them broke a plate of mine and in typical teenage angst thought it was 'so unfair' blaming them. They proceeded to talk very loudly about me even though I was but feet away from them outside the kitchen. More came down and more screeching and laughter at my expense. All horribly intimidating given I'm a single female traveller. If I could have left last night I would have.
Added to which the facilities were filthy. The cleaner still had t been when I left at 1pm today. She hadn't refilled the empty hand towel dispenser and no-one does any further checks once the cleaning us done. The facilities are pretty basic ( they are in the process of building a new block) which I don't mind - if they are kept clean.
To be fair to the owner, she was horrified at my experience and refunded two nights and was very apologetic. Nonetheless, they should be monitoring their site far more than they do - the office was more often than not, shut and you had to buzz for help. Sorry guys, you seemed really nice, but this was by far the worst and mist uncomfortable stay I've had in my month of travelling.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Karen E

Travellers are raving about these Warkworth hotels

Pulborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I was looking through the books trying to find our next site while my hubby was driving. According to our map there was a campsite at Leigh. We stopped at Leigh, a very pretty little bay/port. But no site here. We had passed a biggish site on the way from Warkworth to here, on the estuary but it didn't look that inviting. It must have been the one on the map. We got chatting to some people and I asked about Sandspit, they got quite enthused and said we would love it. (This had been my first choice before reading up on Leigh). We drove back for around 20 minutes and found Sandspit holiday park. Initially, we thought it looked a little scruffy, but we were able to get a pitch right on the waters edge, things were looking up. The old fashion facades on the buildings around the reception area were great fun, they also had 3 cats & 2 dogs, as an animal lover I was encouraged to stay, one cat we met, lovely. Although the pitches are quite close to one another (along the water front, anyway) this was not a problem, the outlook is just so lovely.There were ducks to feed and boats to watch and the lovely sound of the small waves shifting on the stones. We were almost in the water ourselves. The next morning, we took, for free, a couple of kayaks out, very safe water in the bay, great fun. I didn't use their facilities, (we had our own) but my hubby said they were ok .A very nice site to stay on if you can get by the water. Friendly host too. (A youngish dad)

Room Tip: Get by the water!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jools011
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

As said above Sandspit Holiday Park is an independent place, very unique and peaceful.
We stayed in a campervan so cannot comment on the rooms, but the kitchen was well equipped, and there was an outdoor kitchen too.
You can park right on the waterside, spaces permitting. And its such a beautiful view,really peaceful and tranquil.
The staff were very helpful with advice on where to go.
Plus these guys provide free kayaks in the morning when the tide is in, which is brilliant.
The view and location alone sell this place, but its also excellent value for money.
I would definately recommend staying here and I would definately stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We loved Sandspit and were sorry we had only booked for one night on our way back home.
It's had a lot of effort put into it with the old-time shops etc. It has a tv room with oldstyle theatre seats, a games room complete with table tennis and fussball, a giant snakes and ladders + more.
There are gorgeous bush walks from the camp, with donkeys to talk to along the way. We were also impressed by the giant art sculptures.

We stayed in the totara cabin which is the most basic one, but after 4 nights of being in a tent it felt like luxury :)

The kitchen facilities are good and clean. The toilets and showers are also great, and plenty of them.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola P
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

You pull up and immediately step back to the mid 20th century and the time when the area was used by the US Army. All the building have facades from that period and even an old army "tent" that doubles as a history lesson on its past. Right on the inlet the view is also to die for. Bathrooms need a little loving, but work fine. Great value and scenery. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warkworth
Warkworth Lodge
#1 of 7 in Matakana
Sandspit Lodge
Sandspit Lodge
#5 of 12 in Warkworth

Been to Sandspit Holiday Park? Share your experiences!