“Don't bother”

Price range: US$6 - US$18
Cuisines: European, Cafe
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This cafe has the best spot with a view overlooking the river and a sunny patio, which must be
what keeps them alive. When I was waiting to order, the owner (?) was standing over the server as she served the person in front of me, interrupting her as she talked to the customer, to tell her off. It didn't look like a good work environment and I nearly left out of solidarity to her.
My turn to order and I asked her what was in the Moroccan chicken salad, as she was telling me he interrupted again and spoke over her. Primarily I was trying to find out what greens they used, and they showed me the tub of mesculin, so I ordered this.
The salad cost $16.90. When it came out it was no more than a handful and a half of food on a small plate. It consisted of a small handful of mesculin, half a tomato, about two inches of cucumber, and about 4 pieces of tinned mango, with some chicken pieces that had been tossed in Moroccan spices from the supermarket. I know because I have that spice mix at home.
It had a dressing on it, because it was glistening, but the dressing had no flavour at all.
There was nothing awful about it, it was just very small and bland.
The owner who had been beratting his staff, walked past and asked me how it was, I told him it was very small for $17 and he said 'do you think?' as if I was wrong. I said it could have had more mesculin (Seeing as it was supposed to be a salad) and he said 'we used to put more on but people didn't eat it'. I said, well it just kind of needed something else, some nuts perhaps, and he said 'we used to put nuts on it but people wanted no nuts' and then started complaining about having to make food dairy free, gluten free, nut free..
To be fair in the end he did take on board what i had said adn said they were changing the menu and he would tell the chef, so perhaps it will improve, but in general the whole vibe of the place and attitude of the people there was pretty blah. The food was very average. I'm sure the other cafes in the area would be better. Go there and then take your food to the riverside instead.

• Visited May 2014