“Most Beautiful View Ever!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Sandspit
Ranked #5 of 44 Restaurants in Warkworth
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: Cafe, European, New Zealand
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, View, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A pretty seaside cafe with the water coming right up to below the conservatory window at high tide. All meals are cooked freshly to order or chose a quick home baked snack. Fully licensed and open 7 days a week for breakfast lunch and dinner. If you would like to come for dinner due to our scenic location please be sure to book so we know you will be coming along.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most Beautiful View Ever!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

My brother is on holiday from overseas so I have been taking him sight seeing. This is by far the best location we have had the pleasure in stumbling across, when the tide is in you can't beat the sound of the waves splashing at your feet as you eat delightful food, and drink fab coffee. Had the pumpkin and feta salad, warmed slightly and so light and fresh, as well as the beef nacho's, full of flavour and plentiful.. coffee was superbly made, and our hostess was bubbly, cheerful and an aboslute delight! Will be back, before and after his holiday ends, thanks so much Cafe Sandspit!

• Visited April 2014

Auckland, NZ
“Big Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This place is not worth the trip!!!

Cafe Sandspit does deserve a reputation, but not a good one.
We drove out to the cafe expecting great things but were sorely let down.
My wife ordered the chunky seafood chowder and a bowl of fries.
According to the menu the chowder was supposed to contain mussels, scallops, and chunky pieces of fish.
I ordered the calamari salad and a pumpkin and feta salad, we also ordered a couple of coffees.
Their was a $2- surcharge for using a credit card.
I paid up and we waited for our meal.
When the meal eventually came, the Chunky Chowder was very disappointing; no scallops, no mussels, and virtually no fish instead a creamy bowl of "white sauce".
The chowder was ushered to one side and not eaten.
The Wedges that arrived were disappointing as well, commercial, bulk produced, battered, and deep fried.
They were left as well.
My calamari salad was ok and so was the pumpkin and feta salad, we shared these as my wife's choices were inedible
The woman who appeared to be in charge did ask if every thing was ok, though when told the there was no seafood in the seafood chowder she did nothing to correct the situation except to say she'd "pass it on".
Upon leaving I went to order two takeaway coffees for the drive home, and at that stage she tried to charge me a further $2- surcharge for using MasterCard. We cancelled the coffees, and instead drove home with a sour taste in our mouths.
Don't bother driving out to Sandspit for the Cafe Sandspit. It's just not worth the time or money.

Visited March 2014
5 Thank Jonathan R
“Shocking experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We recently visited Cafe Sandspit after reading several positive reviews here. However, we were shocked and appalled at the terrible service we received and would discourage others from experiencing the same treatment. After arriving and being hastily waved to our table, we waited for 25 mins before being attended to. In that time two separate tables adjacent to us had left due to lack of being served or even an acknowledgement that they would be served soon. Upon enquiring with a waitress whether we could order drinks she told us that "only the manager can take orders" and it wasn't until much later that we were attended to. Given the wait that we had experienced, we made the simple enquiry as to how long the food wait would be, at which time we experienced one side of the managers personality that he should keep to himself. A rant of excuses and then upon us enquiring further, more aggression from the owner that culminated in him 'snatching' the menus from us, with yet more ranting (which we did not respond to given his attitude). We were shocked at how the owner could behave in such a situation. Obviously he was busy and under resourced on that particular day, however that is no excuse for that sort of behaviour. We have since read through the reviews on Cafe Sandspit, and if you look carefully and not make the mistake of only looking at a few reviews such as we did, you will notice a recurring theme of the owner either treating customers badly or rudely. No doubt, if the owners respond to this review, they will blame the customers like they have in response to previous negative reviews, however it is sad that such behaviour that seems to be recurring does not get recognised by the owner and corrected. We will never return to this place and have recommended to others that they do not go there.

Visited January 2014
6 Thank CSU2014
robynkingston, Owner at Cafe Sandspit, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
The majority of our customers are polite and respectful and when you read almost all of our reviews you will find many comments on our excellent customer service. If you are polite to us we will definitely be polite back. The person who wrote this review arrived 45 minutes late for their booking and was very rude to us and our staff. What they failed to mention in their review was that when justin told them he wouldn't be serving them, because of their rudeness, picked up the menus and went to the next table waiting to order, the customers on that table clapped and said well done mate, they shouldnt talk to you like that. They then turned to the reviewer and said if you want to talk to people like that and want fast food, go to macdonalds... Simply put, we don't find rudeness towards hospitality staff acceptable and if people are rude we will ask them to leave.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had a wonderful experience, thanks to the caring owner Justin.
We started with the Chilli and Garlic prawns, very tasty and a generous portion for the price.
I was hoping to enjoy the risotto of the day but when the option (pumpkin) wasn't to my taste Justin asked what I would enjoy. A beautiful, fresh mushroon risotto was produced.
My husband's fresh fish was perfectly cooked and served with imaginative sides.
Having enjoyed 1 glass of wine and not wanting another full glass I cheekily asked if I could have just a 1/2 glass to finish my meal. No a problem, said Justin.
Such an accommodating owner deserves to have this business flourish. Lucky for me, I'm a local.

• Visited January 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Yummy Gluten Free options”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

I love that they had a few options for gluten free rather than 1 or 2, and they have gluten free soy milk and chocolate powder!
One of the best soy mochas I've had in a long time.

We had a lovely breakfast before catching the ferry to Kawau Island.

Visited January 2014