Stayed here many years ago and returned to support friends competing in "The Goat" over the weekend.
Rainy setting on arrival and it really did look like an opening scene from "The Shining" but there were more positives than negatives.
Old fashioned hotel with good reputation.
Check in was basic but efficient. Rabbit warren of rooms with our group distributed in a range of room types.
Most had attempts for modernisation - old world quirky charm with modern touches that at times just looked odd.
Very basic amenities, no room safe, bad lighting which gave the impression that some areas may have been in need of a good dusting and clean. Rooms were warm.
Rang reception with simple question re: happy hour and got referred to the bar as they were unable to answer this. This seemed to be a basic simple question that I would have expected to be answered.
The rooms were exceptionally varied in quality even for rooms that were priced the same. Our room was satisfactory but others in our group complained of "bumps and thuds" throughout the night. Staff were friendly but attention to detail was missed as mentioned by other guests.
We had dinner in the restaurant which was good, but overall for the quality of overall service, quality of food and beverge and quality of hotel I do think the Chateau is overpriced. It has evidence of some renovation but still gives the impression of an old "has been" hotel and it was disappointing overall.
The setting is spectacular but overall experience was underwhelming.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park