We went to "Chateau Tongariro" for a short break in the beginning of school holiday in early July. We have been wanting to stay in Chateau, since the hotel was named "Grand Chateau" a couple years ago. for some reason we never been able to stay there until now. My teenager kid is enchanted by the hotel's beautiful appearance. It is the first thing that we see when we go up to Whakapapa village. My teenager kid says in the middle of nowhere suddenly appears this beautiful building. The scenery is really enchanting. On the second day we woke up and when we looked out of the window it was white like winter wonderland. For me who grew up in tropical country, this view is magical.
Staying in the hotel is a good experience for us. The lounge is grand with high ceiling and huge glass window with comfortable big sofa where we can sit and look outside to the beautiful view while enjoying a cup of tea. In the evening there is a man playing piano and singing. Very relaxing atmosphere.
The Ruapehu restaurant is at the same floor with the lounge. Dinner has 3 course menu that we can choose. The apricot Melba pudding for my dessert was really yummy. When we were there there was a group of seniors celebrating mid winter Christmas. All wearing Colourful paper crown that you usually found in Christmas crackers, very very festive. Our deal also includes breakfast. It was buffet style with lots of choices including cooked breakfast.
Our room is a standard room and located in the old wing. So the bathroom was a little bit old. However the room was quite warm with old style heater and the bed is comfortable.
In one morning the sky is clear and the ground was covered in snow. Outside children running around, some building snow man with their parents, teenager started snow ball fight. With all the excitement, I feel like Christmas in July.
I recommend this experience for anyone who will visit Mt Ruapehu.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, LateRooms, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park