I have to confess I've always had a soft spot for "The Chateau" and took the opportunity of a trip back to NZ to introduce my Australian husband and a couple of friends to this unique place. Just a one night stopover but we had a very pleasant stay.
We were upgraded to a room in the new wing, a pity in some ways as I always enjoyed the quirky rooms in the original building, but our room was spacious and comfortable. The decor was a little on the sombre side with dark timber furniture but the bathroom was excellent. Separate shower, a small but very deep bath (great for soaking in after a two-hour walk) and a decent-sized vanity. Unfortunately we were low down in the wing and on the mountain side so only had a view of bush and lawn, complete with rabbits.
But it's the public rooms that really make this place special. Glorious views, especially of Ngauruhoe, comfortable chairs and sofas, magnificent chandeliers, a pianist in the evening, and good bar service. We dined in the main restaurant and had an excellent meal with very good wines to match.
Only complaints - some parts of the public rooms looked as if they needed a bit of freshening up and those wonderful chandeliers needed a good clean - they were very dull instead of bright and sparkling.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and TravelUp so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park