The Chateau Tongariro is a fantastic old hotel on the sides of a dormant volcano with plenty of other volcanoes in view. The hotel was built in the 1920s so the decor is a bit dated but that adds to the charm.
The rooms are in good condition if a little small and the bathrooms would benefit from an update, the public spaces are a feast for the eyes as is the view from the large picture window in the lounge area.
The hotel staff are polite and helpful, the front desk has all important weather forecasts and will arrange pickups for day hikes and other excursions. Even if you don’t have the time or the weather for a day hike you should take the drive up the volcano for some stunning views. The air is thin up their especially in bad weather so you might want to give this a miss if you have breathing difficulties; no such problems at the height of the hotel though.
Be sure to get up early in the morning to see if there is any fresh snow on the mountain tops, we had snow even in midsummer but it soon melted away.
The food is expensive, even at the cafe across the road (owned by the hotel) but the local gas station has a good selection of readymade sandwiches, snacks and hiking supplies at a fraction of the cost just 5 minutes back down the hill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park