Just stayed for 6 nights to go skiing at Mt Ruapehu. Had a Bunk room in Backpacker section of Hotel. I was the sole occupant of the room which had 3 bunks + a hand basin. It was clean & tidy with a good standard of bedding & towels. Was nice to find the heater on & the room warm on arrival.
If you want to self-cater, kitchen has adequate facilities (could do with some more mugs) - can be a bit crowded at Breakfast time. There is dining/lounge room nearby. You can of course eat in the Restaurant in the Hotel section. Showers & toilets were adequate & clean.
Normal rate per night of $50 is great value. I got a deal as stayed for 6 days.
Staff all friendly & very helpful. Shuttle which picks you up at the door & takes 10 mins up the Bruce road to Whakapapa Skifield is very convenient & can be booked at reception.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Skotel was established in the early 60s by a group of keen skiers who wanted the convenience of accommodation close to the ski-fields but more comfort than the ski lodges of that time. In 1986 it underwent a major expansion with the addition of restaurant, bar and other facilities. The old part of the building became the backpacker’s wing. Skotel has maintained its friendly informal atmosphere but now provides Qualmark three star accommodation and the exciting cuisine experiences of our new dinner menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Skotel Alpine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skotel Alpine Hotel Whakapapa Village
- Holiday Inn Tongariro National Park