All reviewsski hirepacked lunchawesome viewsbunk bedsenjoyed my staytwo nightstongariro national parktaranaki fallsfantastic locationwingsspabackpackerscabinaccommodationhikesnowskiing
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had a two night stay in December - 3 adults, 2 young kids - what a pleasant rest from the backpacker style places we had been staying in so far. We had a beautifully clean cabin with views over the high plains to the horizon - amazing location. Rather odd door arrangement between cabin, bathroom & toilet which puzzled the kids no end and could be sorted by any one of them being a sliding door, but more an observation than a complaint. Can't comment on the main hotel or restaurant, but the cabin was exactly what we were hoping for and we loved our little stay - thank you Skotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Why do the rooms smell so musty when you walk in and the terrible smell coming from outside the public bathrooms oh my lord!! I mean they were clean but I could still smell them people that were in before me some air fresher would be a nice welcoming spray! I told the manager of housekeeping about the smell outside my window and nothing was done nor did she come and reassure me otherwise I will never be going back and I will not be recommending to anyone else

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Star136
Wayne S, General Manager at Skotel Alpine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction and discomfort during your recent stay with us. The issue with the smell was caused by blocked drains under the decking and has since been cleared and relaid to ensure it doesn't reoccur. Once this had been bought to my attention and we were able to locate the cause it was dealt with efficiently by the maintenance staff..

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a two night arrangement with evening meals. The meals were tasty, well prepared by the dutch chef Arjan Hoekstra. The bunk room we had booked ( after all we were only in the room to sleep) was clean and comfortable. Only negative was that we kept hearing the alarm go off on the neighbour's phone ( apparently he slept deeper than we did). I agree with the comment placed earlier that the spa pool needs renovation. It could be a great asset. Thirty minutes though were gobbled up with getting unchanged and changed in a small confined space. Apart from that a lovely soak. Kitchen was well equipped and we ate in the communal lounge- where the curtains could do with some attention. However this did not detract from our pleasure of being at this address. The manager was very obliging by lighting the fire during a particularly cold, wet and windy day which we spent inside warmed by the fire and a hot chocolate.
The view from windows and deck was stunning and just to be able to be here was a treat in itself. Having stayed in The Chateau years ago- I can honestly say that I enjoyed my stay at the Skotel as much- a homely atmosphere with caring, friendly staff wanting their guests to enjoy their stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3deschoffie

Thank you for your comments and compliments. It is great to see the extra little things we do are appreciated. The downstairs spa has since been repainted and refreshed and the exterior spa outside in the Garden by the Backpackers area is currently being rebuilt and a new modern spa being installed. I was pleased to be able to share our slice of "Paradise" with you and look forward to possibly hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Starting with the one positive is the lady at receptionn. At least she was pleasant and promptly refunded our money. The rooms are well overpriced very worn and dirty. The smell from the room we were given was awful. A full dirty ashtray sat outside in the outdoor area. We opened the guest services book to find a cockroach!, We complained so were offered another room. This was just as terrible,just a bigger room. At 180.00 a night very overpriced and shameful that in a very beautiful tourist destination we would have such a shocking hotel. A note to the manager not a good look sitting in your restaurant eating with the chef at 6pm. Our advice go to the Chateau just around the corner and a room at the same price and ten fold better in every way.

Room Tip: Check it first they are very dirty.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy H
Wayne S, Manager at Skotel Alpine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

On behalf of the hotel I apologize for your double room not being clean. We have since replaced one of the two senior staff in the housekeeping department. The smell was quickly fixed when it was brought to my attention – it was caused rotting leaves in an exterior drain.
In my eight years as manager this is the first report of a cockroach from either guests or staff. Our hotel is set amongst the tussock and almost every hotel room has exterior access. A variety of insect life can come in through open windows or the balcony doors.
Since we are a small hotel our staff, eat at 5pm at a table to one side in the back of the restaurant. The restaurant opens at 6pm. There must have been a real problem to discuss if the chef and the manager were still talking at this table at restaurant opening time.
Our double rooms with facilities range from $80 to $185. These prices are very reasonable taking into account the extra costs of operating in a National Park, remote from cheaper infrastructure.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We booked the hotel to be with friends who were also staying. They had previously stayed and seemed happy with their previous stay.

Unfortunately we would not consider staying again, for the price we paid for the room, it is towards the high end for what you actually got. The room was quite small, especially when travelling with a 5yo child, the service from most of the staff was very average and the food was quite expensive with limited selection.

The bright spark to our stay was the young french girl who was our waitress, our son took a shine to her and she was the highlight for our stay.

Maybe our stay may have been better if the snow condition were also better and we were able to spend more time outside the hotel, but as it was the condition were bad and the hotel lacked anything. I believe it's advantage is being so close to the ski runs, but the next time we choose to ski at Ruapehu will find alternate hotel in the town near the other resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family