“fair for the price”

Skotel Alpine Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Whakapapa
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here in late December, the night before and the night after the Tongariro crossing. The staff had been very accommodating with most our requests - we arrived for check-in after the front desk was already closed, and the room key was left for us in the bar. The following morning, they were able to arrange for the transportation for us to the Tongariro crossing, for the 7am departure with just a few minutes' notice.

The room we stayed in was fair for the price - we stayed in a room with private bathroom, but in the part of the hotel that was not renovated. As mentioned, things were not renovated, however, nothing major was missing. The space heater worked - even though we had fears that it would not, based on its appearance.

We ate at the restaurant just once (and one time too many), on the second evening. The food was more expensive than our room (per night), and it was also the worst and the most expensive food that we had during our 2-week trip. From past reviews, our expectations were low, and they were met. My veggie lasagna was overcooked and oversalted. My husband ordered some type of meat that was also overcooked. Unfortunately, there are not any other options for food nearby. I think a freeze-dried camping meal would have been equivalent or better in taste to what I had for dinner that night, and less expensive.

Skotel does have an excellent location for Tongariro crossing or for doing other things in Tongariro National Park - because they are so close. I would recommend to stay here only because of its location and lack of other reasonably-priced options nearby.

Room Tip: If you are staying in non-renovated part of the hotel in private rooms - the further away from the b...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Skotel Alpine Resort

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I spent two nights at this hotel at the recommendation from some friends who had done the same. My main goal was the Tongariro Crossing and I needed a nearby base.

The first thing to meet me was a very friendly and smiling receptionist, Marie or Mary, couldn't quite catch her name, but she quickly gave me a room in the backpacker section and supplied me with all the information I needed about the crossing, the hotel and the restaurant. She also promptly booked me a spot on the shuttle that takes you to the start of the crossing and picks you up at the other end.

The hotel room was clean and nice, there was room for three in there with a small sink for brushing your teeth and the basic necessities. Bathroom with nice showers is close by (allthough it felt like they were a mile a way after coming back from the crossing, but I blame that on my shape, rather than the hotel) ;-)

THe reestaurant served good food, not too cheap, but I got an excellent burger the first night and a really great fish of the day the next night.

They had run out of wifi coupons when I got there, but I just bought minutes on one of the three PCs they have above the restaurant, which actually worked out better for me as these PCs have SD-card readers so I could upload my images from the camera onto Facebook.

Every person I met from the staff was smiling and friendly, serviceminded. Sometimes wish there had been more than one poor soul in reception as there was often a bit of a queue there.

Also sorely missed a socket in my room. Seemed the other backpackers had the same problem as we all took turns charging our phones in the hall.

NEGATIVE: Queue at reception, no sockets in the room (backpacker section)
POSITIVE: Location, staff, food, good beds and clean bathrooms

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at the Resort for two nights whilst we did the Crossing. We had previously tried to do the Crossing but it had been cancelled due to bad weather. We decided that we could rearrange our schedule and try again, so we went to the Skotel reception to try to book a room for a couple of nights during the next week. The receptionist was excellent and rearranged other bookings to fit us in, when she subsequently sent an email confirming the booking we had been upgraded.
We found the Skotel to be clean and our room had all we needed including its own verandah with an incredible view of Mt Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom),
We had an evening meal and a breakfast on the day we left, both were good and seemed value for money. Skotel also arranged for bus transfer to the Crossing start in the morning at 7am and collection from the other end to return us to the hotel in the afternoon. The weather could not have been better this time and the views we had as we did the walk were absolutely stunning.
Both receptionists we dealt with were excellent and we found the staff in the restaurant to be very good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave5b
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had booked a family room, but were first given the key to a tiny room for 2. When we got our room sorted out, it was a good sized room with a king sized bed, and an adjoining room with two singles and one queen. The best part was that the lead out to a verandah with a great view. The not so great part was that the place looked a little run-down. Could not imagine how cold the bathroom would be in the winter since there was no heater in it. The restaurant served great food though !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We had a two night stay in December - 3 adults, 2 young kids - what a pleasant rest from the backpacker style places we had been staying in so far. We had a beautifully clean cabin with views over the high plains to the horizon - amazing location. Rather odd door arrangement between cabin, bathroom & toilet which puzzled the kids no end and could be sorted by any one of them being a sliding door, but more an observation than a complaint. Can't comment on the main hotel or restaurant, but the cabin was exactly what we were hoping for and we loved our little stay - thank you Skotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Why do the rooms smell so musty when you walk in and the terrible smell coming from outside the public bathrooms oh my lord!! I mean they were clean but I could still smell them people that were in before me some air fresher would be a nice welcoming spray! I told the manager of housekeeping about the smell outside my window and nothing was done nor did she come and reassure me otherwise I will never be going back and I will not be recommending to anyone else

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Star136
Wayne S, General Manager at Skotel Alpine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction and discomfort during your recent stay with us. The issue with the smell was caused by blocked drains under the decking and has since been cleared and relaid to ensure it doesn't reoccur. Once this had been bought to my attention and we were able to locate the cause it was dealt with efficiently by the maintenance staff..

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a two night arrangement with evening meals. The meals were tasty, well prepared by the dutch chef Arjan Hoekstra. The bunk room we had booked ( after all we were only in the room to sleep) was clean and comfortable. Only negative was that we kept hearing the alarm go off on the neighbour's phone ( apparently he slept deeper than we did). I agree with the comment placed earlier that the spa pool needs renovation. It could be a great asset. Thirty minutes though were gobbled up with getting unchanged and changed in a small confined space. Apart from that a lovely soak. Kitchen was well equipped and we ate in the communal lounge- where the curtains could do with some attention. However this did not detract from our pleasure of being at this address. The manager was very obliging by lighting the fire during a particularly cold, wet and windy day which we spent inside warmed by the fire and a hot chocolate.
The view from windows and deck was stunning and just to be able to be here was a treat in itself. Having stayed in The Chateau years ago- I can honestly say that I enjoyed my stay at the Skotel as much- a homely atmosphere with caring, friendly staff wanting their guests to enjoy their stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 3deschoffie

Thank you for your comments and compliments. It is great to see the extra little things we do are appreciated. The downstairs spa has since been repainted and refreshed and the exterior spa outside in the Garden by the Backpackers area is currently being rebuilt and a new modern spa being installed. I was pleased to be able to share our slice of "Paradise" with you and look forward to possibly hosting you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whakapapa
Chateau Tongariro Hotel
The Park Hotel Ruapehu
The Park Hotel Ruapehu
#5 of 9 in National Park Village
Ruapehu Mountain Motel & Lodge

Been to Skotel Alpine Resort? Share your experiences!