We stayed here in late December, the night before and the night after the Tongariro crossing. The staff had been very accommodating with most our requests - we arrived for check-in after the front desk was already closed, and the room key was left for us in the bar. The following morning, they were able to arrange for the transportation for us to the Tongariro crossing, for the 7am departure with just a few minutes' notice.
The room we stayed in was fair for the price - we stayed in a room with private bathroom, but in the part of the hotel that was not renovated. As mentioned, things were not renovated, however, nothing major was missing. The space heater worked - even though we had fears that it would not, based on its appearance.
We ate at the restaurant just once (and one time too many), on the second evening. The food was more expensive than our room (per night), and it was also the worst and the most expensive food that we had during our 2-week trip. From past reviews, our expectations were low, and they were met. My veggie lasagna was overcooked and oversalted. My husband ordered some type of meat that was also overcooked. Unfortunately, there are not any other options for food nearby. I think a freeze-dried camping meal would have been equivalent or better in taste to what I had for dinner that night, and less expensive.
Skotel does have an excellent location for Tongariro crossing or for doing other things in Tongariro National Park - because they are so close. I would recommend to stay here only because of its location and lack of other reasonably-priced options nearby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Skotel was established in the early 60s by a group of keen skiers who wanted the convenience of accommodation close to the ski-fields but more comfort than the ski lodges of that time. In 1986 it underwent a major expansion with the addition of restaurant, bar and other facilities. The old part of the building became the backpacker’s wing. Skotel has maintained its friendly informal atmosphere but now provides Qualmark three star accommodation and the exciting cuisine experiences of our new dinner menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Skotel Alpine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skotel Alpine Hotel Whakapapa Village
- Holiday Inn Tongariro National Park