“Pleasant stay”

RiverSong Cottages
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

This place has welcoming hosts (and cats), and the unit was very clean, comfortable and with a good shower. The bed was comfy, though pillows a little soft for me, and there was a small fridge and kettle, plates etc. The garden makes for a nice setting, and has a hammock and child swing.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Harwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This s the second time we have stayed here,the first time was almost three years ago. Accomodation has all you need, so convenient for town, spacious and comfortable. Felix the cat, still in residence was nice to see.

Room Tip: We have stayed in both falcon and tui, self contained so very private. Both v good
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The cottage had a reasonable sized kitchen, one room with 2 single beds, one with a large double, a living & dining area and good sized bathroom. The cottage was clean and comfortable. The owner was very friendly & helpful and even the cats on the property were all very friendly. There is air-conditioning for the warm day and heat pump for the cooler night. The patio overlooks a small garden at the back. Restaurants are within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Please read this review in full, it is worth it.
We needed a late one night stopover and booked this last minute. Please drive on. This is obviously someone's attempt to make a few dollars on the side. Where do I start? Firstly you park your car out the front (almost on the road) then take the gravel path to the end of her verandah (try wheeling your suitcase down the gravel!!). You are 'tacked" onto the end of the house!!. She did tell me there was no kitchen. Well that's OK I thought we've got a few simple provisions for dinner (it was late). It's got tea and coffee making facilities she told me. Looking back these signs should have rung alarm bells.

We entered the room. It's tiny!!!! The fridge is in one corner with the TV above it. Oops did I say TV....errrr try smallest computer monitor style flat screen in the world!!! It was lucky to be 15". There is no sink no cupboard or robe. She's really sooooo sweet .......she gives you a bucket to put your dirty dishes in!!! Great that was dinner what am I going to put my cereal in in the morning a plastic bag inside my shoe?? The ensuite is so small. It is the width of a shower, about 900mm. Try drying yourself in that room. The basin is so small you can't even fill your kettle. There is nowhere else to get water!!! The tea prep area is so small you can't even put anything down to make a cup of tea or prepare two bowls of cereal.

For Aussie travellers......don't bring a cat....there is nowhere to swing one!!!

Bed....maybe buy a new one if you are going to charge people to stay here, the old ones roll into the middle.

Pillow....fill them up!!!! I don't want my head on the mattress!!!!
Heating? Yes she provided heating. (I've already turned it in for you she rejoiced).....yep great....a little "sit on the floor" electric fan heater???? That's your heating?? And I'm paying good money for this? Please!!!

This accommodation is a hopeless attempt at scraping money out of unsuspecting tourist who need!!! a bed for the night. The rooms scattered around her "messy" property. Help yourself to the vegie patch she said.......vegie patch? where???..somewhere in amongst the weed beds?

Wish I was back at the Jasmine Court in Picton
Please read my other reviews and you'll see I call a spade a spade (I tell it like it is).
STOP PRESS!!!! I saw some cottages in the morning. Yes there are some there!! We had the KEA cottage. That's the "tacked" on one. Review remains unchanged. The place is a dump!!!

Room Tip: Want a good room? Go elsewhere please.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melmain62
RiverSongCottages, Owner at RiverSong Cottages, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Well each season we get one person that cant be pleased. We advertise the Studio as it is and is set up for people who are eating out and want to make a light breakfast. 7pm is not to late to ask for an upgrade or to go somewhere else if the accommodation doesnt suit. I would expect to be told if this is the case at the time not be left to the morning and then refuse to pay. The abuse that I got was uncalled for and left me feeling unsafe so police were called . If people are not happy with this new room, new bed, down pillows, massage shower, 23 inch TV and dishes done for them then there is the option of a fully self contained Cottage. Coming in mid winter means there arn't any vegetables in the garden sorry I cant do the impossible. Parking is well off road so the gardens can be enjoyed by families without cars driving through it. We are on a no exit road and we have never had issues with cars being unsafe.
Please be fair to those of us who are trying to make a living sharing our property and enjoying the mix of guests that come, a lot of them returning each year. I hope the rest of your trip went well and no one else had to be on the receiving end of your anger and abuse.
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Warm and comfortable this was an ideal place to stay to break up a long journey. The accommodation was clean and the bed very comfortable. Ok for a longer stay if you planned on eating out all the time as only really room enough to make a light breakfast (toaster, fridge and microwave). The bathroom sink was small and nowhere to place your wash bag (but being a small bathroom not much else could be done) but not really a problem for an overnighter.
Advise take your own breakfast for convenience.

Room Tip: For a longer stay I'd recommend the cottages as I believe those have full catering facilities
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We stayed for one night in the studio accommodation. It was modern, spotlessly clean and in an excellent location in Murchison surrounded by lovely gardens. The down side was the tiny hand basin in the bathroom with no shelf or any place to put a sponge bag and no kitchen water supply. Jenny had a system in place where we put dirty dishes into a plastic box and she did the washingup. It was, however, good value for money as the price reflected these shortcomings.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Carpinteria, California
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed here as a resting point between Greymouth and Abel Tasman. We were delighted with the super clean and spacious cottege. We had 2 bedrooms with a full kitchen. it was comfortable and perfect for our needs. Hosts were lovely.

Room Tip: I think we had the Falcon cottage.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple