“best pie by far” 4 of 5 bubbles

Red Barn Cafe
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Murchison
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Mooroolbark, Australia
“best pie by far”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

stopped in to see some animals and have a break, was pleasantly surprised. We both had the chicken and leek pie, amazing. even bought some for later. the service and interaction from the staff was very good, very chatty and helpful. went and fed the animals and apart from one over zealous male goose, really enjoyed it.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank peterandkaren5563

Nelson, New Zealand
“Best place in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I'm a long-haul truck driver and one thing truck drivers know is where to go for the best coffee.
I have a meal at the Red Barn 2 or 3 times a week. Great food, well priced.
People who complain about the price can't be serious, surely?
Recently I traveled between Timaru, Nelson, Palmerston North, Rotorua, Gisborne, Napier, and Wellington, with a few coffee breaks at various small towns as well.
The Red Barn coffee and food is still my pick of the lot.
Folk behind the counter are always friendly. Maybe some people just go in there with an attitude and need something to moan about.
As for the complaint about not talking to a 5 year old!
I take my grand-kids out a lot and I sure don't get all p*ssy if a shop assistant doesn't talk to them. Jeez, get a life.
And people wanting to bring rubbish from their car in and expect to be able to dump it at the cafe.
Damn cheek! You got the rubbish from somewhere else, why expect the Red Barn folk to want you to dump it there?
It's a business. They sell food and drink.
You want to sit at a table and not buy something then go to a picnic stop further down the road.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank blackdog47
Hokitika
“Peaceful, friendly, relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

My daughter and I had a most enjoyable break on the way home from Nelson. We were greeted by a very friendly and efficient lady. There was a good variety of food available and we chose the pasties. They were served with chips, salad and home made tomato sauce. The whole meal was yum! She came back to check our meal was to our liking and did the same with other customers, also having a chat to make all feel welcome, but not being intrusive with clients dining. I enjoyed having a friendly peacock coming up for a 'chat' as well. He was beautiful. This is my second visit and will definitely be back.

3 Thank CAROL J
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Best BLT,s ever had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Red Barn has become our regular stop.The coffee is great and the food excellent.My sons love the BLT,s.Our families from overseas and grandchildren have all enjoyed the experience of the park and return whenever they come back.We have had breakfast there and must say that Mark can cook an excellent breakie (try his poached eggs).Coffee best I,ve had(thanks Amy.)All staff cook, and must say no complaints here.The staff are very polite and friendly (We love Janet).Great menu,lovely girls,great service and excellent place to let the kids experience the animals.

3 Thank buttonz2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Coffee to die for..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

By sheer good luck we stopped off at this out of the way cafe for morning coffee,
What a homely place this is, the female owner was extremely friendly, makes great coffee,
her offsider makes the best caramel slice i have tasted and trust me ive tried more than my share.
this would also be a nice place to stop to allow the kids a break and walk around the animal farm that you can for a small price, feed.
Plus lovely clean toilets..

3 Thank lozanvon