“Wherever else you go - go to Owen River Lodge!!”
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We were on honeymoon.... most would ask "why a trout fishing lodge for a honeymoon?" Simple, we've never been trout fishing before. I had a few concerns, we would have to dine with other guests... what if they bored me? They didn't! They were enthuisasts who have travelled the world trout fishing, their stories were amazing!! What about the standard of the food? No worries there! Delicious and beautifully presented - both very important for me - I'd rate it 5 star at the very least!! On our arrival, Felix, the owner greeted us with a beautiful glass of wine and the most delicious wafting smell of lamb shoulder slow roasting for many hours already..... and proved himself a wonderful host over the time we were there - nothing was lacking. Our day of trout fishing was simply amazing. Our guide was terrific - he really knew his stuff and certainly knew the area. Geoff and I caught 9 trout which I believe is unheard of for total beginners - admittedly they were tiddlers - but we didn't care it was just incredibly exciting to be actually hooking fish! The scenery was stunning - and I grew up in N.Z - so when I say stunning - I mean it. All in all there was not a thing I could fault. We were beautifully taken care of from start to finish in every way. And if I sound truly over-the-top about Owen River Lodge it's because it deserves it. Geoff and I will definitely return and I totally recommend it - even if you don't want to fish!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 March 2011

It does not get much better than fly fishing in New Zealand. Yes it does...a stay at the Owen River Lodge! As you sit on your deck and look out over the pristine Owen river, the thoughts of big browns run wild. The setting, the food, the wine and the staff under the watchful eye of owner/operator/host Felix adds to an incredible relaxing trip. Nothing is too much or too hard (except perhaps casting a 12 ft leader on a 5 weight rod to an unexpecting big brown). The guides are great, the surrounding rivers are breathtaking and overall ambience fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My 23-year old son and I had an incredible 5 nights and 4 days at ORL. The fishing could not have been better, with different water, mountains and scenery at every bend in the rivers. Felix and the guides know where to go in all circumstances, which is particularly helpful when the weather is not fully cooperative. The lodge is comfortable and inviting; the food is fantastic; and the surrounding views cant be beat. There is nothing more peaceful than going to sleep at night listening to the sound of the river.

Owen River Lodge is a must go to destination on the South Island for enjoyable, challenging and classic brown trout fishing, as well as great comfort at the end of the day.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 19 March 2011

What can I say! Great People, Great Lodge, Great Food and Great Fishing! Owens River Lodge has it all! Felix and the crew made me feel at ease from the first to the last minute of my stay! Probably the most relaxed 5 days of my life, I didn't want to leave! I will be back next year!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We are staying at 3 top rated lodges in New Zealand. Owen River Lodge is our first stop. If I could, I'd cancel the rest of the accommodations and stay at Owen River Lodge for the rest of our vacation. The fishing is world class, our guide, Steve is very experienced, hard working and delightful to be with. The lodge is sophisticated, yet warm and charming. I feel very comfortable here. Ryan, our chef is a talented and imaginative young chef. We throughly enjoyed every meal he prepared .... each different, each delicious and flavored with herbs from the kitchen garden. The desserts were appropriately rich and full of flavor. Bravo Ryan. Of course, an experience like Owen River Lodge doesn't just happen. Rather, it happens with the planning and daily oversight of the owner and manager, Felix Borenstein. If you're looking for the best New Zealand has to offer, then please consider Owen River Lodge. We'll be back. Sherry, San Francisco

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My wife and I traveled to New Zealand with a group of anglers from the US and were fortunate to be able to stay at Owen River Lodge, a wonderful lodge in a beautiful valley overlooking the Owen River. Felix and all the fine folks at the lodge truly know how to make people feel special; no need goes unfilled and Felix and his staff have a way of making every guest feel special.

Owen River Lodge has a well deserved reputation as one of the world's finest lodges and we can certainly attest to the fact that it's reputation is well deserved. Excellent cabins, fabulous food and all the little extras that separate the good from the great. Owen River Lodge is truly on of the greats!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Excellent lodge-beautiful setting overlooking the Owen River, which is a superb trout stream. This was my 2nd 6 day stay at this lodge. The atmosphere is very relaxed. The food and service are superb. Felix is a great host-very witty. The lodge is situated near several of the best trout streams on the South Island, and Felix has several top-notch guides who are quite familiar with these streams. I highly recommend this lodge for trout fishermen, from beginners to experts. Since weather and fishing conditions can be quite variable, I would recommend at least a 3 day stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
Alpine Lodge
#4 of 6 in Murchison
Owen River Tavern & Motels
Owen River Tavern & Motels
#3 of 5 in Murchison

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!