“Just simply amazing!”
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Australia
“Just simply amazing!”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Owen River Lodge provides it all for either fishing addicts or not, Felix and his staff provide world class service and l really mean world class. My husband and l both fish for barramundi in Australia and thought we would give fly-fishing a go and what a way to learn, Peter our guide was sooo patient, Ryan provided world class food (forget the diet) and of course Felix one of the best hosts we have ever encountered. One day l came back a little earlier (while the boys went for that extra fish) and just unwinding in our room and Felix arrived with a flat white coffee without me even asking. There is so much to see and do around the area so even if you don't fish Felix can arrange everything from a spa treatment to have your hair done (what a host).
So, thank you Felix & everyone for an amazing experience and we will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
lexington
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Our daughter decided to study abroad in New Zealand, which presented us with the opportunity to visit a stunning country but also, for my husband and son to enjoy outstanding fly fishing. I spent much time on line searching for a place which would suit all of us. I settled on Owen River Lodge. It was a spectacular vacation. We flew from Wellington into Nelson and rented a car. Getting used to driving on the left took a bit of time but it is a straight shot, one highway to the lodge, which is off the main road on a dirt road, which, by the way, is flat and perfect for running. Felix, our host and owner of the lodge, met us in the driveway and immediately offered us a drink and a moment to unwind and relax. We then went to our rooms, which are impeccable, comfortable, and well furnished including a wet bar for drinks. The early morning and early evening views from your room were breathtaking. The main lodge is a comfortable gathering place for those staying, including the dining area, sitting area and living room with books, a TV and computer with internet access. The food was delicious and Ryan, the chef willing to share information about his cooking as well as the local area. Felix ate with us and entertained with stories about fishing and other adventures. No matter what you needed or asked, he could get it or find out. He arranged for white water rafting as well as a lovely winery tour for a day. Spur of the moment, my daughter and I decided to try our hand at fly fishing and he found a willing and patient guide who spent the day walking us through the river and teaching us how to cast. By the end of a beautiful sunny day, we had each caught a trout! The week felt more like a visit with family than a stay in an unfamiliar lodge in a foreign country. We would go back in a heartbeat and would recommend the lodge without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My non fishing wife (Barb) and I spent 4nights and 3 days fishing and enjoying the Murcheson area. The hospitality could not have been better due to the congenial nature of Felix and his staff. Dining under the expert hand of Ryan was unmatched. As for the fishing, my guide Lindsay was patient and an expert at finding fish and guiding my approach with his nymph patterns. I had three banner days landing 25 large trout which were released after selected pictures.
Barb was content to relax and read and walk the beautiful surrounding area and make friends with Kylie, a blond Lab with a delightful demeanor. I look forward to the opportunity to return with some friends.
Bruce Duke MD

Room Tip: All rooms had magnificent views, and the surroundings were quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce D
Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Stayed with my family at the Owen River Lodge in March of this year and couldn't have been happier with our experience. There are many exceptional things about this lodge and I could run out of space listing them, but the real star of the Owen river lodge is your host and owner, Felix. As I mentioned to another guest during our stay who heartily agreed, Felix is a master of the lost art of hospitality. When my wife, our 11 month old daughter and I arrived quite late on our arrival day after a more than 24 hour journey we were exhausted, had been driving in the dark for the past four hours and not sure what to expect. Felix was up waiting for us, helped with our baggage, took us in like we were long lost family members and made us a plate of food himself from the kitchen. He arranged babysitting for my daughter during our stay and it seemed there was nothing he couldn't do to make us feel more personally catered for. This is exactly the kind of service that typifies Felix and the Owen River Lodge. Everything contributes to a sense of being a guest at an estate rather than a custom at a hotel. I especially loved that Felix dines with his guests in the evenings, provides great conversation, plenty of personality and our wine glasses full. And while I mention dinner, it would be remiss to not comment on the simply outstanding, refined meals prepared by Ryan, your chef. The food is, I kid you not, world-class and will leave you gripping the edge of the table in a Meg Ryan, When Harry Met Sally kind of way.

The fishing was tough while I was there, and a combination of factors made for some difficult days including overcast skies, rain, wind, blown-out rivers and sand flies that, according to my guide were the worst he had seen all year. No small contributor was my own lack of experience with the accuracy, stealth and patience it takes to stalk these big spooky browns. It burns, but it was some consolation that even other, more experienced guests were struggling as well.

Felix provides a warm, botique flyfishing experience that is worth every penny. He takes pride in every aspect of service his lodge provides and has the professionalism and sophistication to make it all five star. Thanks for a memorable holiday!

And as for you, Mr. Brown Trout... I'll be back

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Felix you outdone what ORL said in its advertisment. Your establishment was outstanding. You and your staff looked after us with care and attention. While planning a NZ fishing trip I did't expect to catch 8-10 fish a day, however I was rewarded by the size of trophy fish captured. A truly magnificent place and a place I shall return to.
Warren S

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Denver
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at Owen River Lodge in April of 2012. A beautiful setting, great accomodations, superb food. The fishing is a bit difficult especially for novice fisherpeople but the guides are patient and mindful of the fact that not all of us are experts. That said we will have a 7 1/2lb brown on the wall to remember our trip!!! Would definitely go again.
Steph and Tony

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 13 April 2012

A thoroughly enjoyable fishing experience with expert guides,numerous river fishing options including the Owen within sight of the accomodation and good sized brown trout up to 8lb on our trip.Felix being a keen fly fisherman was a wonderful obliging host catering for all our needs. The accomodation facilities were 5 star and the views outstanding.The chef, Ryan produced excellent meals to a 5 star restaurant standard and catered for those with special dietary needs.I can't wait to return to relive the overall experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
Alpine Lodge
#1 of 6 in Murchison
Owen River Tavern & Motels
Owen River Tavern & Motels
#4 of 5 in Murchison

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!