“Owen River Lodge - World Class 5 Star Fly Fishing”
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Wow! 6 days / nights of the ultimate experience.
Where do I start with the praise?

Let’s start from the point of arrival; Felix the Owner, Manager, considerate host, gentleman and by the end of the trip, a friend, was there to personally greet me and gave me a tour of the Lodge and all it’s offerings. I knew right from that point that this place was going to be special, and I was not wrong. From thereon it was true bliss.

Some key points of this magnificent lodge experience:

The Location:
Nestled amongst some of New Zealand’s South Island picturesque scenery, along Owen River, near 30 quality trout rivers. Awesome!

The Accommodation:
A modern facility, with a touch of classic country feel. Well laid out, crisp, clean, very comfortable including a well positioned outdoor spa with the Owen River as its backdrop. Add to that a few little extras that are suited to the fly fisher (eg. free use of fly fishing gear) and life’s pretty good.

The Food:
5 star top quality without a doubt. Ryan would have to be one of the most talented and personable chefs I have met. Thankyou Ryan!

The Service:
Felix has really done well here and surely leads by example, for his passion of quality and natural flair for making people feel comfortable is echoed throughout all of his team. Nothing was an issue and the whole team was always willing to help.

The fishing:
With so many quality trout rivers nearby it’s already hard to beat, but add to that some of New Zealand South Island’s best guides, well! Now you got a recipe for some unforgettable fishing. This was the first time I fished with a guide(s) and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a local guide will put you onto more fish! Thankyou to my guides Greg & Paul.

I cannot praise Felix and his team enough for developing such a fantastic facility.

Thankyou for 6 nights / days of gourmet food, amazing fly fishing for Trout, great company and total relaxation (apart from chasing those trout downstream).

Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Owen River Lodge

Reviewed 18 November 2012

My husband and I spent a lovely couple of days at the Owen River Lodge. Being from the North Island of NZ, my husband had a 'Bucket List' must do 'to fly fishing in the South Island'.

Owen River Lodge is gorgeous with stunning surrounds. Felix and his crew provided amazing service, beautiful food and very enjoyable company.
We shall return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2012

My father and I were fortunate enough to stay at Owen River Lodge for four amazing nights. We were both first-time fly fishermen, and we could not have had a more enjoyable introduction to this fantastic sport. Felix could not have been more accommodating, and the food, location, accommodation and hire equipment was all of the absolute highest quality. I would highly recommend this experience to anyone interested in fly fishing, from absolute beginners (like us) to experts. Paul, our fishing guide, was unbelievably patient with Dad and I, and we would not have caught a single fish or had anywhere near as much fun without him. (For the record we caught fish every day!) Thank you to everybody at Owen River Lodge - we look forward to returning again very soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Owen River Lodge is the place I had always dreamed of discovering. Guest centered service second to none. You are immediately made to feel at home as Felix the manager/owner greets you. You are taken to your cottage and invited to join others in the main lodge for refreshments before dinner. The meals are fine dining at its best. It rivals any five star restaurant and the selections change daily based on the freshest available ingredients. Ryan the chef is amazing. Think king fish sashimi, rocket salad, rack of lamb like you have never experienced and creme brule. The wines feature New Zealand and Australia's best. Enjoy a coffee or after dinner drink and pleasant conversation to round out the evening.

Wake up to the sound of birds and a beautiful New Zealand morning and it all starts over again. Breakfasts are "to die for".

Oh did I forget to mention some of the finest fishing I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. Pete is an amazing guide. Dedicated to ensuring that you have a top fishing experience.

Indeed, heaven on earth! What more is there to say.

Room Tip: I have been in three different cottages and they have all been unique and wonderful. The art work i...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 November 2012

The Owen River Lodge is a 5 star experience in every way. On arrival we were met by the owner Felix Borenstein and immediately knew we had found the right person to help make our fishing experience a good one.The lodge is gorgeous without being OTT so you feel at home right away. After settling in Felix gave us a short tour of the property and asked us to join him, another guest and one of the Lodge Guides for a drink this set the scene and gave us an insight of what was to come.
There is a great wine list and the food is fantastic - breakfast, lunch and dinner! For me pre-dinner drinks and sharing and fabulous meal with interesting people from all over the world was one of the highlights of the day. I could go on and on about the food but I could never do it justice - it is something you have to experience, Ryan, the head chef, is a gem, apart from gourmet meals Ryan also bakes the best chocolate chip biscuits possibly in the whole world.
As my husband had not fished for several years Felix arranged a personal guide, Boris, who took him on a fishing adventure beyond expectation. I think Felix has a gift for lining up guests with the right guide! Another plus was the Lodge supplied all the fishing gear so we did not have to lug it all the way from Australia and face those quarantine authorities.
I chose not to fish and stayed back at the Lodge and simply relaxed - bliss - with Keely for company, the river and lovely gardens and walks on the doorstep and a great room to go back to and read I was a happy girl.
Felix and his staff are professional, friendly and sometimes hilarious and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaryanneJ_12
Reviewed 31 October 2012

My recent stay at the Owen River Lodge was fantastic. Being new to flyfishing I was apprehensive about how I would be welcomed by the guides; would I be able to catch a fish; would I enjoy it anyway? I shouldn't have worried about any of this! I caught fish, learnt heaps from the guide I had (Pete) and had the best fishing trip I have ever had. Felix, our host at the lodge, made sure that what ever we wanted was catered for. Nothing seems to be too much for him. His attitude is that he wants to provide the best service to the client he possibly can. Without a doubt he does that.
The meals prepared by Ryan would not be out of place in any first class restaurant. The accomodation was wonderful. The views spectacular .... what more could you ask for.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I have been fortunate enough to have travelled, worked and fished in some truly amazing places in the world. I now have a new and very high benchmark set with Owen River Lodge.
From the minute I arrived at the lodge every expectation I had was exceeded.
The Host and owner (Felix) - Could not have provided a better service or made us feel more at home.
The Chef (Ryan) - Ryan’s food and presentation would stand up to any top class restaurant!
The Accommodation - Absolutely fantastic was not left wanting
The location - Breathtaking
The Guides (Pete and Paul) - couldn’t have asked for more. Extremely helpful, knowledgeable and damn nice guys.
The fishing - Mind Blowing!!

This will be a yearly deal for me and friends from now on. Can’t recommend Owen River Lodge highly enough to potential travellers.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
Alpine Lodge
#6 of 6 in Murchison
Mataki Motel
Mataki Motel
#3 of 5 in Murchison

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!