“Happy wife happy life ;)”
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Petoskey, Michigan, United States
“Happy wife happy life ;)”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I am an avid fisherman, my newlywed wife... not so much. Needless to say NZ was on the top of my bucket list. I was shocked and excited when she suggested a trip to NZ for our honeymoon. Not trying to press my luck to much I told her to set up the trip however she wanted to avoid a lifetime of scorn because I suggested fishing on our honeymoon. After an extensive search on trip advisor she suggested ORL! In complete disbeleif now I picked my jaw up off the floor and told her I thought that was a great idea.

Come to find out ORL is becoming quite popular with honeymooners and I can see why. Felix runs a tight ship! The grounds are just as beautifull as the natural mountain setting sorounding the lodge. The staff went out of their way to attend to any request we might have. My wife thought the rooms could be a bit more spacious BUT they were VERY clean, comfortable, and well appointed.

The food was the exceptional. Im not sure whos luckier, felix for having chef ryan, or chef ryan for having felix who seems to give him some creative leeway. Most meals were prepared with Veg and herbs from the ORL garden which is a nice touch. The meat and fish were all very fresh and well prepared.

THE FISHING. WAS. EPIC! (*I say that with a word of caution)

New Zealand is truly a fly fishermans fantasy. Crystal clear water, picturesque scenery, and very large trout that are generally willing to eat a well presented dry fly or nymph. BUT, you had better bring your A-game. The fish are spooky, it tends to be windy, and in most scenarios you will be casting a 12'-15' leader. In my opinion this is not first time, beginner, or even intermediate water. If you are any of those you would be better off honing your skills somewhere easier and less expensive and coming to NZ when you are sharp.

Our guide John was knowledgable and had some great spotting eyes! He was resolute in his descision making and had a quirky sense of humor that we enjoyed! He was also a passionate fisherman that would keep us on fish right until the last minute of the day. I would say that he was one of the hardest working guides I've ever seen. As good as he was at dealing with me I have to say that he was also very patient and understanding in his instruction of my wife who is a novice fisherwoman.

We did a heli "fly out" trip our first day. It was expensive but it was also an unforgettable expirience that took us to a pristine mountain river that would have been a 2 DAY hike on foot.

All said we realy enjoyed ourselves at ORL and I hope we can get back there soon.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donn V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Abingdon, VA, USA
Reviewed 16 February 2013

If you are looking for idyllic New Zealand lodging that is geared towards fly fishing but has something to offer anybody, not to mention world class cuisine, you are looking for the Owen River Lodge. We were greeted at our vehicle by lodge owner, Felix Bornstein, who invited us inside for conversation and drinks. I felt like we were visiting the home of an old friend from the very beginning. We were then escorted to our very clean and elegant room and settled in by Felix before returning to the lodge for one of Chef Ryan's gourmet meals, unbelievable.
The next day I awoke to a big breakfast, hooking up on big, wild brown trout on a local river with a great guide who was booked for me by Felix, and a delicious packed lunch provided by the lodge. Meanwhile, my wife was being pampered by an onsite masseuse, being shuttled to and from Murchison to a local salon, and being catered to by Felix and staff. Upon my return from an epic day of trout fishing, my wife and I renewed our wedding vows by the Owen River. Felix assisted with locating a celebrant to perform the ceremony, transportation for my wife for the day, booking the masseuse, choosing a site for the ceremony, and he even took photographs of our special event. Are you beginning to see a pattern here? Felix not only feels like an old friend from arrival but is also the ultimate concierge and host.
My only regret of my trip to New Zealand is that I only spent a couple days at Owen River Lodge. I stayed at eight different locations while visiting New Zealand and I've stayed at many 5 star accommodations here in the States and none come close to Owen River Lodge. Thank you Felix for your hospitality and all of your hard work.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Livermore, California
Reviewed 15 February 2013

The lodge was beautiful. The cuisine was excellent and the energy of the owner and staff was welcoming and calm. The trip was initially set up to be a "guys fishing trip" but from the minute we arrived Felix (the owner) made it clear he would do his best to accommodate any of our requests rafting, horseback riding, hiking ect . My only regret is that I didn't take a fly fishing lesson from one of the excellent guides. I highly recommend Owen River Lodge to anyone looking for a tranquil, relaxing,superior culinary experience.

Room Tip: All of the cabins are beautiful
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We stayed for a few days in January. Everything about the experience was fantastic. The rooms are not only extremely comfortable but elegantly appointed and so clean that hospitals would be envious. The views from the room are nothing short of spectacular and rivalled only by the peace and quiet. Ryan's cuisine is not only Michelin exquisite but beautifully presented. No request was ever a problem and the owners -- Felix and his lovely lab Keeley -- were an absolute delight.

Room Tip: Any one of the rooms would be perfect.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We have both stayed in great NZ fishing lodges and fished the South Island previously . Felix and Owen River Lodge exceeded our high expectations both on the quality of the Lodge and in the fishing experience . We found the accommodation to be excellent and the food and ambience in the main lodge to be of the highest quality . Felix has obviously imbued his team with a service culture designed to ensure a relaxed and enjoyable guest experience . Nothing is too much trouble and details are paid attention to with the minimum of fuss . Chef Ryan and the rest of the kitchen and table service team delivered meals of the highest quality with innovation and variety . Each evening, we felt like we were attending a dinner party at a friends house. The guided fishing was a classic South Island brown trout experience and we found our guide to be highly competent , friendly and tolerant . He was a pleasure to spend time with and successfully put us on many fish with Cathy landing a personal best .

Room Tip: All of the rooms are of equally high quality.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I travelled the world on business, staying in many of the world's great hotels and have stayed in more than a few top fishing lodges. Having lived in Paris for many years, I appreciate good food. Owen River Lodge combines the highest quality of accomodation, cuisine and ambiance with incomparable fly fishing for large brown trout. The cuisine is 2 star Michelin quality and rooms are fantastic, but above all it is a wonderful place for fishers to share experiences with each other and guides at the bar after a long day on the river, followed by very enjoyable dinners with other guests, ably and warmly hosted by Felix, the lodge owner.

Room Tip: All six rooms are great and basically identical.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Danville, California
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Our group of 6 had the pleasure of staying at Owen River lodge in January 2013. The 3 women in the group were a bit skeptical about a 5 day stay at a fishing lodge. Let me say that the owner Felix and his staff go above and beyond to make sure everyone has a fantastic vacation. The men in the group commented that it was some of the "best fishing ever." The individual cabins for guests are absolutely incredible with fantastic views of the river and mountains. Chef Ryan's meals and Felix' wine selection are second to none. We look forward to our next Owen River lodge visit. This is a MUST when you are visiting New Zealand. Lori

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
Alpine Lodge
#3 of 5 in Murchison
Owen River Tavern & Motels
Owen River Tavern & Motels
#4 of 5 in Murchison

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!