The Westhaven
US$191
US$111
Agoda.com
Sunset Motel(Fox Glacier)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$95
  • Free Internet
Bella Vista Motel Fox Glacier(Fox Glacier)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$94
Hotwire.com
Misty Peaks(Fox Glacier)
US$117
US$97
Agoda.com
High Peaks Hotel(Fox Glacier)
US$110
US$107
Rainforest Motel(Fox Glacier)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$87
Agoda.com
Lake Matheson Motel(Fox Glacier)
US$108
US$91
Agoda.com
Mount Cook View Motel(Fox Glacier)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$90
US$71
  • Free Internet
US$195
US$191
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree wifimiddle of townnecessary amenitiesgood sizesmall kitchenetteheli hikelake mathesonfox glacier guidingdvd playercentral locationsmall towneasy accessmodern motelenjoyed our staynight stayfranz josefnice stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Great Location and clean room but
Dont expect prompt service, you will be attended to when they can, not a pleasant experience while booking the room. DONT give your credit card number, you may be in for a surprise if they dont check the room before you leave. No wireless connectivity n the room, you have to sit outside to be able to get the internet connectivity. Based on reviews from this site I had asked about it prior to confirming the booking and I was told that they have fixed the problem. Unfortunately for the owners it still does not work and I was told by Marlyana, I hope i got the name right that they have fixed it and anyways it is FREE. While the owners are good, but i THINK running the motel is taking its toll as they have 2 lovely kids and clearly the priority has to be them. We were told that PLEASE no calls after 8 and that if our family or frIends also call from overseas they will not answer the call. A

When we checked in we were put in a room which was already occupied by someone. Then the lights in one room toilet were not working and it was fixed only the next day. Luckily we had 2 rooms and had to do with taking off the bulb from 1 room toilet and put it in the other one as Kelvin was away and Marylana had clearly told us she will not answer calls. Upon checking in, we had requested them to clear the bottles of water which were chargeable from our room which they said they will not. This is more like a homestay rather than a motel but pay the price of a top motel.
On checking out and reaching Singapore I realised that after settling my bill in cash i was charged 40 dollars on my card without my knowledge. When I wrote to them they confirmed they had done so and stated the following reasons
1) 2 BOTTLES of water were missing (my wife confirmed that all 4 bottles for both rooms were left in the room, but since we had already left there is no way we can substantiate)
2) The shower screen or whatever in one toilet was broken, which somehow none of us seem to be aware of, again after checking out, it is simple for them to say that and for us to just listen. My parents lived in that room and they also confirmed that there was nothing that they saw broken. Luckily I informed them of the lightbulb else even that may have been billed to me.
3) The carpets in one room were wet due to the water seeping out from the toilet. Again none of us know but my small kids 5 years and 2 years were the last to bathe and that toilet did not have the bathtub, so how did water leak? Anyways we have not seen any of this.
I would not have written this review, but I found it very unprofessional that i was charged on my card without being informed and for things which I have not seen or am ready to accept liability.
The owners have said that they are looking to sell their motel as it is difficult for them to manage it with the kids. One good thing however, is that you get discounts for the heli ride if you stay at Westhaven, again, it is cheaper if you go direct to the helicopter company and pay saying you are a Westhaven guest as that works out to be 10 dollars cheaper per person rather than booking at Westhaven directly.
So I suggest live here if
1) You dont want to surf the net from your room
2) Dont expect any service and are purely looking at a comfortable room to sleep in but pay top dollars
3) Dont mind being charged on your credit card after checking out and settling all your bills and being informed of it only when you see the card statement.

I have so far never experienced this and I have travelled extensively.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank babla75
FoxWest, Owner at The Westhaven, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2010

Obviously as owners of The Westhaven we are disappointed with this review but would like to take the opportunity for travellers to hear the “other side of the story” without getting into a “he did she did” situation.

Prompt service – we believe all of our guests are treated as a priority and any problems with rooms are resolved quickly, however we do have 23 units with up to 60 guests staying which means we are busy. However, we endeavour to respond to any problems quickly (within an hour normally unless outside help is required).

Wireless Internet– wireless Internet is FREE (FREE, FREE, FREE) to our guests. We have enhanced the system again today - 31 December 2010 and have been assured by our local IT fix-it person that the system is all working well and in every room at The Westhaven. From time to time the internet does not work due to things outside our control, such as the major storm that blew out our router earlier this week!!. We are remote and isolated so at times power cuts and internet access is disrupted. On a further note the NZ Government and Telecom New Zealand are rolling out extensive broadband internet network coverage over the next few years, so faster, easier, reliable access will be available including the likes of Fox Glacier.

Calls after 8pm – The Westhaven is a Motel so does not have a 24 hour reception, however we DO take all calls up until 11pm at night. We also live on-site and are contactable 24 hours a day in the event of an emergency.

Light bulb replacement – We were not informed when the said light bulb had actually blown but the bulb was replaced almost immediately after the guests informed us that the bulb was not working. In fact 2 lights bulbs were replaced on the first hour they were here and another one the following morning. Three light bulbs blown in less than 12 hours – this is a very rare, unexplained occurrence!

Bottled water – it is not common practice for staff at The Westhaven to remove the mini bar from the rooms, and this was not requested. The ‘missing’ bottled water mentioned actually is for a local community fundraiser and no proceeds are taken by The Westhaven .

Wet carpet – the guests did admit that their children do make a mess with water while bathing and that could explain the wet carpet. We would like to ensure readers that our toilets to NOT leak, and this was never an issue with these guests.

Credit card – each group or individual that checks into The Westhaven is required to fill in a guest registration form (very common practice with most motels and hotels in New Zealand) and sign a disclaimer which states:

“I hereby accept full responsibility for any charges incurred for this room during my stay. I also acknowledge that I am personally liable for payment of any damage to the room or property either malicious or accidental by myself or my guests and that any remaining balances can be charged on my credit card”

Helicopter scenic flights – We are fortunate to have negotiated very good discounted rates with our preferred local helicopter operator and we would like to stress that these are not subsequently discounted by guests going to the helicopter company stating they are Westhaven guests and getting further discount.

Finally we are busy people, we enjoy our family and our business, are heavily involved in our community and to say our service was not prompt nor professional is simply not correct. We do not cut corners or treat any guest differently from one another. Our aim has always been to give people a positive stay, we haven't changed this stance in the five years we have had The Westhaven. Fox Glacier is a wonderful place to visit and stay situated right in the heart of a world heritage national park.

Regards Kelvin and Shelley

Reviewed 21 September 2010

This hotel is something very complex to explain. No staff is there(only one person is handling everything) still no complains. we had to take out and keep our luggage ourselves. The room was not ready at the time of check in. We went to franz joseph glacier till that time and returned. The staff was not there in the reception and there is nothing to do out there in the glacier region. I would suggest rather to chose a hotel in Franz joseph glacier rather than fox glacier as it is more developed and populated than fox glacier.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Great motel, stayed during a massive rain event but it was warm and cosy. Had a deal that included free wifi, but should not have bothered as we could not make it work on our apple devices...Quiet time of year in August, we felt like the only people in town!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jacarandahill
FoxWest, Owner at The Westhaven, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2010

Hi Guy's, We are pleased you enjoyed your stay in Fox Glacier and The Westhaven. We have had our wireless internet system checked and updated with a new outside aerial so all previous problems have now been fixed. Sorry about the inconvenient you had with this.
regards Kelvin and Shelley

Reviewed 5 September 2010

We had a lovely stay, the location is great for the glacier, right in town for shops and cafes. The service was excellent, really helpful with local information.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Last minute call in (we were driving north from Q'town) which we were pleased with. Reception were helpful, room was large'ish and warm enough to unwind in front of tv to wifes frustration. Only 2 minute walk to local hotel where both the food and locals are unique. Good to have a chat to, very friendly and interesting. Side note- wifes words for this place would be tidy, presentable and modern.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple